GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Tim Krul - our newest international player

After Tim Krul played for the Netherlands the other night, he became our newest international player to be capped whilst at the club

I wonder if anyone has a definitive list of capped Norwich players and how many caps they got whilst at the club?

For many years I remember that Mark Bowen was our most capped player....not sure if that would be the case anymore?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

I seem to remember that Jim Bone was our first, but I will likely be corrected there. It was for Scotland

I was very young then and my Canary supporting days were in their infancy, but I remember feeling so proud.

Thought of Ron Davies for Wales back in the mid 60s as the first. Had to Google for a date of April 1963 and an earlier international player. Looks like Ollie Burton was capped a year ahead him, also for Wales - that had completely passed me by or just been lost in time to me. Surprisingly tricky pinpointing caps while with us and I'm not sure about the accuracy of the above, but surely we had someone earlier???

Pretty sure Dave Watson won a few caps (5 or so) before he left us for Everton? Would that be the most England caps while playing for us?

3 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Pretty sure Dave Watson won a few caps (5 or so) before he left us for Everton? Would that be the most England caps while playing for us?

Looks as though Woods got 4 (3 as sub) whilst as Norwich, so I think you'll be right

11 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

For many years I remember that Mark Bowen was our most capped player....not sure if that would be the case anymore?

Wikipedia reckons it’s now Hoolahan with 42 caps between 2012 and 2017 whilst with us. Bowen had 41 caps in total but a few not with us by the looks of things.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I think Phil Boyer was our first English player to be called up......think he played in what was called the England B team, but I might be wrong there. 

He played for the full England team against Wales and was the first Norwich player to play for England 

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrsBios/PlayersB/BioBoyerPJ.html

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Our infamous defender Charles Charlie Charles McCenterback actually played for Scotland back in the 1920’s

What position did he play in?

Much deserved after a fantastic last two seasons, it is a wonderful example of a career  in tatters that has got back to its best and club, player and fans all happy and grateful we gave him that chance and he took it

1 hour ago, paddycanary said:

What position did he play in?

That classic old school football position Left sided inside rear back.

he wasn’t allowed to cross the middle of the pitch but if he didn’t he’d also get fined AND a get a public beating. Life was hard back then

Edited by The Real Buh

7 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

That classic old school football position Left sided inside rear back.

he wasn’t allowed to cross the middle of the pitch but if he didn’t he’d also get fined AND a get a public beating. Life was hard back then

Rear back you say?

I do love a good old-fashioned public beating. It's on occasions like these I hark and pine for the good ole days.