Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

The mayor

Perhaps if the mayor was on the pitch to take our penalty on Saturday he would have slotted it. Seriously really good to see him hold his nerve.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Orrrr he would have slipped on the very wet soap like surface like any other player would have

Except Rooney

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Orrrr he would have slipped on the very wet soap like surface like any other player would have

what is it with slipping when taking a pen? I've taken hundreds of pens in my amateur career and it's literally never happened and I have played on much worse pitches...

Surely when you place the ball, you check the area around and plan where you plant your supporting foot? Is that just me?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

what is it with slipping when taking a pen? I've taken hundreds of pens in my amateur career and it's literally never happened and I have played on much worse pitches...

Surely when you place the ball, you check the area around and plan where you plant your supporting foot? Is that just me?

Filling in the teamsheets, I presume.... 😉 

2 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:I've taken hundreds of pens in my amateur career and it's literally never happened and I have played on much worse pitches...

Are you secretly Jamie Vardy in disguise TJ? 

9 hours ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Any other player wearing moulded studs you mean? 

I would argue they were 'blades', moulded studs are more like traditional studs, just moulded on rather than screwed in. Blades are not always the best if the surface is very well watered and 'loose'. Penalty spots tend to be quite a well visited part of the pitch too. 

Honestly? The game was a dog with fleas, they didn't look like scoring (against Israel) if they still playing now.

And Scotland won 5-3 on pens, hardly a pressure situation when McLean took his pen.

I'm not sure why the pinkun is talking up this game and labelling McLean as hero, 🤷‍♂️

20 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Hundreds of pens?

How do you manage to win hundreds of penalties? 

29 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Hundreds of pens?

How do you manage to win hundreds of penalties? 

as in during the 25 years I have been playing amateur football. It's really not that many in that space of time. It just seems such a ridiculous thing to happen, slipping when taking a penalty.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

as in during the 25 years I have been playing amateur football. It's really not that many in that space of time. It just seems such a ridiculous thing to happen, slipping when taking a penalty.

Well to be fair to Pukki, if every team you've played with in 25 years has designated you the team penalty taker then you are probably a very good penalty taker? 

John Terry slipped on a penalty in the Champions League Final, and David Beckham slipped for one in a crucial Euro 2004 qualifier... and can and does happen to the best of them. 

5 hours ago, Number9 said:

Honestly? The game was a dog with fleas, they didn't look like scoring (against Israel) if they still playing now.

And Scotland won 5-3 on pens, hardly a pressure situation when McLean took his pen.

I'm not sure why the pinkun is talking up this game and labelling McLean as hero, 🤷‍♂️

I know you don't rate Mclean but its nonsense like this, suggesting that the deciding penalty for your country to still stand a chance of qualification is hardly pressure, that makes the rest of your arguments not look very subjective.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Taking it one step farther, it is beyond me why a professional athlete, who has trained their entire life, can’t deliver a dangerous corner or free kick, 8 out of 10 times at the very least.

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I know you don't rate Mclean but its nonsense like this, suggesting that the deciding penalty for your country to still stand a chance of qualification is hardly pressure, that makes the rest of your arguments not look very subjective.

It was the Archant reporting and the muppets on here that got me going. 

To believe what I read, it was as if Scotland had won the world cup, didn't really relate to the game I saw.

14 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

Taking it one step farther, it is beyond me why a professional athlete, who has trained their entire life, can’t deliver a dangerous corner or free kick, 8 out of 10 times at the very least.

I understand that one as especially with corners, a successful one has to be just the right height and pace or it will just get easily dealt with by pro defenders and keepers. At amateur level, you can add a bit of height etc. and the margin of error is far wider, as long as its somewhere in the vicinity of the 12 yards in front of the goal, there'll be some form of chaos.

As for free kicks, they're just hard to get in the top corner of a goal and again, the pros will try aim to get so much curve/power/accuracy on them that they will be prone to mis hitting them. If you ask them to chip a ball into a bucket 20 yards away then most of the time they will get near.

Its just the penalties I don't understand in the slightest. Yeah you can miss badly or make it easy for the keeper but to literally fall over at the key moment when striking a stationary ball to me seems like mainly poor preparation with a bit of bad luck thrown in. I'm really not claiming to be Matt Le Tissier or Mario Balotelli, and "career" was a ridiculous choice of word to use to describe my time playing but still, falling over when taking a penalty just seems ridiculous. I have played on Carrow Road as well and given how immaculate the pitch is, it just makes it even more inexcusable.

I've played amateur football for 20+ years including time as a player-manager.

I've seen a few people slip taking penalties. It depends how you take them and the motion. But I have also seen players slip and still score them. I have seen players not slip and miss.

Who was it (could be a fair few years ago now) who slipped, struck the ball off their standing foot and saw it go in and count even though it shouldn't have done?

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

What position did the mayor play in?  DM or AM?

Wide left. 😜

16 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Its just the penalties I don't understand in the slightest. Yeah you can miss badly or make it easy for the keeper but to literally fall over at the key moment when striking a stationary ball to me seems like mainly poor preparation with a bit of bad luck thrown in. I'm really not claiming to be Matt Le Tissier or Mario Balotelli, and "career" was a ridiculous choice of word to use to describe my time playing but still, falling over when taking a penalty just seems ridiculous. I have played on Carrow Road as well and given how immaculate the pitch is, it just makes it even more inexcusable.

Honestly, I'd rather see a penalty missed by someone accidentally slipping than when the taker hits them exactly where the keeper wants, waist height and not fully in the corner.

Listened to some the Radio 5 Live commentary on the Scotland match last night and Pat Nevin was saying what a good game McLean was having. Good to hear. 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Listened to some the Radio 5 Live commentary on the Scotland match last night and Pat Nevin was saying what a good game McLean was having. Good to hear. 

Let’s hope he can have another good game in a Norwich shirt soon.