Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Dan Burn- Get him now please

Zero evidence, reason or ryme he would ever drop down a divison and take half his wages to play for us but if are just picking defenders out of thin air then hey here's one I would love to see and sure would fix quite a few of our issues.

Are we looking for a first choice CB though? Gibson was brought in to replace Godfrey and Hanley is certainly more than capable at this level. Zimbo would be very good back-up, again for this level.

This is the quandary. If we’re looking for additional back-up, it’s either going to have to be someone towards the end of their career or someone towards the start. But very few PL clubs will let decent youngsters leave to sit on someone else’s bench.

So maybe it will have to a be Ryan Bennett type who would be happy to come and fight for their place but without a guarantee of first team football. Or we sign a rough diamond from another EFL club.

I can't get this argument that Hanley is more than capable at this level. Yes he is, but he has glass legs and has an appalling injury record so I wouldn't have faith to put our trust in him for remainder of the season.

We have at least some money. I'd love us to buy someone who they see as an instant 1st team regular to play with Gibson

45 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I can't get this argument that Hanley is more than capable at this level. Yes he is, but he has glass legs and has an appalling injury record so I wouldn't have faith to put our trust in him for remainder of the season.

We have at least some money. I'd love us to buy someone who they see as an instant 1st team regular to play with Gibson

Hanley is a decent leader and good for team spirit and morale but I dont rate him and never really have

1 hour ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

I'd love to see us sign early 90s Franco Baresi. Come on Delia, get the cheque-book out.

👆This is the most realistic option.

Sign him up.

2 hours ago, Clint said:

Are we looking for a first choice CB though? Gibson was brought in to replace Godfrey and Hanley is certainly more than capable at this level. Zimbo would be very good back-up, again for this level.

So your choice for the first XI is Hanley who played 7 times in our title winning season, and we'll leave Zimmermann on the bench despite him playing 40 times? 

Zimmermann is a Championship winning centre back, and most importantly doesn't have the turning circle of an elephant. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Luke Woolfendeen please.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

In a word ‘yes’ TVB. Everyone seems fixated on what happened two years ago. On the basis of your argument, let’s ignore the present and bring back Fleming and Mackay as they’re championship winning CB’s.  Last season our defensive record improved massively when Hanley came back into the team and he looked very decent when he played. Zimbo meanwhile has been pretty poor so far this season and actually is far less mobile than Hanley so what does he have, the turning circle of a whale?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Nice Mullet you have got there Kevin B..........

Thank you @Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

I am a fan of the traditional footballer’s mullet. I look at our current squad, and often debate who could pull off the style.

One day Marco Stiepermann will rise like a salmon, strike an absolute thunderous goal and wheel away to the Barclay with a mullet in full flow. I just know it 👍🏼

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Justin time said:

I have a feeling we will make do until January then if Famewo is still making progress we can recall him from Charlton.

Potentially, however I don't think they'll bring him back to be 4th choice and not getting in the match day squad. It looks like he'll play week-in, week-out at Charlton and a whole season there would do him the world of good.

If they do bring someone in, I assume it would be someone who can play both centre back and left back. Dan Burn fits that description - and I actually wonder if Brandon Williams would now be available, now that United have signed Telles.

8 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

Potentially, however I don't think they'll bring him back to be 4th choice and not getting in the match day squad. It looks like he'll play week-in, week-out at Charlton and a whole season there would do him the world of good.

If they do bring someone in, I assume it would be someone who can play both centre back and left back. Dan Burn fits that description - and I actually wonder if Brandon Williams would now be available, now that United have signed Telles.

I just don’t think all three will be fit or un injured come January.

15 hours ago, KevinB said:

👆This is the most realistic option.

Sign him up.

can we get Paulo Maldini too ? to back up Quintilla ?

3 years too late.  Should have signed Dan Burn when he left Fulham and went to Wigan.  Giant defender looked really good in Farke's first game I believe.  Surprised to see Wigan had signed.  Now a first choice at PL Brighton.  No chance of signing.  Need to look at promising Div or 2 CB's happy to be 4th choice.  Is Farke looking I doubt it.

One for the oldies.

Lets go for Steve Austin. Extremely quick, brilliant in the air and an excellent eye for goal.

Would cost $6M. 😉😉

16 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Luke Woolfendeen please.

Evans must be getting desperate now he can't cash in on Downes. Wolfenden would be worth the money just for the explosion on TWTD 😂

On 09/10/2020 at 10:35, pete said:

3 years too late.  Should have signed Dan Burn when he left Fulham and went to Wigan.  Giant defender looked really good in Farke's first game I believe.  Surprised to see Wigan had signed.  Now a first choice at PL Brighton.  No chance of signing.  Need to look at promising Div or 2 CB's happy to be 4th choice.  Is Farke looking I doubt it.

Fair play to Brighton- Dunk and Burn is one hell of a strong defence part of the reason they were able to stay up last season

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

9 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Any news whether we're actually in for Saliba?

Judging by the way Michael Bailey swatted the rumours away, it seems there is absolutely nothing in it and furthermore no new signings are expected. 

On 09/10/2020 at 10:35, pete said:

Semi Ajayi was a huge missed opportunity when he moved from Rotherham to West Brom for £1.5m. 

There is value to be had in the domestic market from time to time, Adam Armstrong went to Blackburn for £1.75m as well.

But we seem to miss this odd gem as we've been too focused on trying to find them in Germany. 

On 08/10/2020 at 18:16, Clint said:

In a word ‘yes’ TVB. Everyone seems fixated on what happened two years ago. 

Well it wasn't two years ago for a start, it was May 2019. 

And secondly, we've literally signed another centre back (Gibson) who hasn't played for two years, yet I can't point out Zimermann's contribution during that season when Gibson was being paid not to play? 

Parts of the season were over 2 years ago now though. May 2019 was when we won the title, the whole season wasn’t played in a month.
Yes but your original point was suggesting that I was out of my mind saying that I would pick Hanley over Zimbo, on the basis that the latter was more influential in our title winning season. Gibson wasn’t mentioned by you.

I agree Zimbo was decent that season and I think he’s a great bloke but we still conceded a huge amount of goals. If Hanley has played more often, perhaps we’d have conceded less. On the basis that the rest of our defence from that season are being picked off one by one by superior clubs, that could suggest that Zimbo was perhaps the weakest link?

Its all about opinions and that’s fair enough but your argument seems to be very fluid.