Move Klose

Realistic CB Loan Options

Just a few I could think of, I know people saying who would come in as a 4th choice CB but with Hanleys injury record plus Zimmermann had a couple last year and has struggled for form as of late. I doubt it would be long before they were starting.

Saliba ARSENAL
Chambers ARSENAL
Carter-Vickers TOTTENHAM
Clarke-Salter CHELSEA
Benkovic LEICESTER
Bennett WOLVES

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

Just a few I could think of, I know people saying who would come in as a 4th choice CB but with Hanleys injury record plus Zimmermann had a couple last year and has struggled for form as of late. I doubt it would be long before they were starting.

Saliba ARSENAL
Chambers ARSENAL
Carter-Vickers TOTTENHAM
Clarke-Salter CHELSEA
Benkovic LEICESTER
Bennett WOLVES

Could we buy one instead? 

The first four wouldn't come or be allowed to come unless there was a guarantee of first team football.

Bennett is a good shout though.

11 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Saliba ARSENAL
Chambers ARSENAL
Carter-Vickers TOTTENHAM
Clarke-Salter CHELSEA
Benkovic LEICESTER
Bennett WOLVES

Chambers probably wouldn't be available as he is part of Arsenal's European squad now.

Saliba is the best of those and wheels are potentially in motion it seems.

Bennett is well past his best and I don't think he'd be an upgrade on Hanley or Zimmermann.

I think now is the time to buy a young prospect at CB rather than get another loan,  we dont want to leave ourselves in the situation of not getting promoted, losing Gibson and another loan CB and having noone.  We are in the unusual position for us of having some finances that we are able to spend, I'd rather see the benefit for a few years than just one. 

1 minute ago, Haus said:

I think now is the time to buy a young prospect at CB rather than get another loan,  we dont want to leave ourselves in the situation of not getting promoted, losing Gibson and another loan CB and having noone.  We are in the unusual position for us of having some finances that we are able to spend, I'd rather see the benefit for a few years than just one. 

Unfortunately I think Covid has meant that there isn't any money to spend, or at least a strong unwillingness to spend until the club know when they can get fans back in. Gibson can be signed whether the club is promoted or not, it is just an obligation on promotion. 

Norwich have invested a lot in young players that will improve the team in the future, but there is probably the need to get someone in who will improve the first team straight away. The chance of signing that someone, especially now the international window is closed, is very thin. When a good Championship defender like Joe Rodon costs about £20m you can see why a loan is maybe the only route open to Norwich. A loan also means that should Covid's effects continue into the long term then Norwich haven't committed to an expensive 3 or 4 year deal they may regret in a season or two.

With so much uncertainty over the long term, short term options are more and more important.

28 minutes ago, 2clubbanker said:

Carter-Vickers 2 million easy choice and he is classed british as born in Southend 

By centre back standards Carter-Vickers is a bit of short ar*e. We're already chronically weak as a team in the air at the moment and we really don't want to get any weaker. (And check out which Ipswich player gets beaten in the air for Klose's famous equaliser in the derby). 

40 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The first four wouldn't come or be allowed to come unless there was a guarantee of first team football.

Bennett is a good shout though.

No one can be guaranteed first team football...especially young players. What if they have 3 or 4 stinkers on a row? , we're not obliged to pick players who are playing badly

14 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

By centre back standards Carter-Vickers is a bit of short ar*e. We're already chronically weak as a team in the air at the moment and we really don't want to get any weaker. (And check out which Ipswich player gets beaten in the air for Klose's famous equaliser in the derby). 

He's the same height as Godfrey, however. 

Clarke-Salter could be a realistic option. He's not going to get anywhere near the Chelsea first team and was loaned out to the Championship last season, so would probably be available.

Would Liverpool loan out Sepp van den Berg? Klopp generally likes to keep his youngsters around rather than loaning them out, but could be available for the right club.

Manchester United have eight centre backs in their first team squad. Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo are unwanted but probably wouldn't drop down to the Championship and earn too much. Could one of Axel Tuanzebe, Timothy Fosu-Mensah or the highly rated Teden Mengi do with some regular, competitive game time?

1 hour ago, 2clubbanker said:

Carter-Vickers 2 million easy choice and he is classed british as born in Southend 

Why do people keep saying 2 million like its all he costs? 

How much weekly wages do you reckon he's on? 20k? 30k?

Would rather get a better quality loan with maybe the option to buy if we get promoted, rather than a championship level defender on a permanent that likely wouldn’t cut it at premier league level, I think that money could be better put towards some real quality next summer IF we got promoted. So a quality loan would seem the best option to me right now. 

We have sold Lewis and Godfrey, removed Klose's wage who must have been one of the highest earners at the club. In addition we have PL parachute payments plus ST holders are underwriting the loss of home games. I really think we can get another CB in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He's the same height as Godfrey, however. 

I think that's where the similarity ends to be honest 😉 

Apparently the Manchester Evening News are reporting that us and Reading are in talks with Joel Latibeaudiere. He's a 20-year-old centre back who was part of England's U17 World Cup winning side of 2017, and spent last season on loan at Twente in the Netherlands, although he only played five games and they were all at right back.

@Thirsty Lizard will be disappointed to learn that he isn't the tallest, as online sources pitch his height at anywhere between 5'11" and 6'1".

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Apparently the Manchester Evening News are reporting that us and Reading are in talks with Joel Latibeaudiere. He's a 20-year-old centre back who was part of England's U17 World Cup winning side of 2017, and spent last season on loan at Twente in the Netherlands, although he only played five games and they were all at right back.

@Thirsty Lizard will be disappointed to learn that he isn't the tallest, as online sources pitch his height at anywhere between 5'11" and 6'1".

I reckon Latibeaudiere would be for the U23s, not sure he is ready for Championship football yet. 

As height is emerging as a defining factor for success on this thread, why not take a moneyball approach based on this attribute?

Who are the Top 3 or 4 tallest CB's available with a Transfer Value <£1m?

If it pays off, great. If they're pony, sell them to a team that appreciates a good "unit".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We have sold Lewis and Godfrey, removed Klose's wage who must have been one of the highest earners at the club. In addition we have PL parachute payments plus ST holders are underwriting the loss of home games. I really think we can get another CB in.

Is that the case? How many of them do we reckon?

With 22, 000 sold that's potentially a big gap filled. Add on IFollow and the club need not be doing so badly.

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Bennett is well past his best and I don't think he'd be an upgrade on Hanley or Zimmermann.

Sounds like an ideal 4th choice CB then. (I can’t believe I’m suggesting we resign Bennett, I really wasn’t that impressed when he was with us before, but his record since leaving would suggest he is - or was - decent).

Being linked on Twitter with Joel Latibeaudiere, Man City cb and former England u17 captain when they won the WC.

Reading also heavily linked.

4 hours ago, 2clubbanker said:

Get Carter-Vickers 2m 22 years old would be first choice as he is better than zin and Han 

Have you put £10 on him joining Norwich? 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Was going to reply but then saw Bethnal has posted and covered it pretty much all above.

So, yeah, what @Bethnal Yellow and Green says.

You’ve got to be kidding? As in no money to spend, if the right player is being watched at the right price we have to spend. Let’s not use this as an excuse when we all know funds are there. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Exactly we need Assets Not loans 

i would hate to waste The lewis / Godfrey Money on loans 

We need a CB and we have the money now

If Most of the clubs are struggling for Money we should be in a great Position to buy 

• Thanks 1

Out of all those options, Saliba on loan is my fave. A top quality player with World class potential to cover while Famewo gets up to speed at Charlton.

Hanley and Zimmermann are good enough players for us but aren't anything special and are injury doubts. Having 1 more option is completely necessary, Saliba can come in, get a few games and then if he's struggling to settle, we have Hanley and Zimm to fall back on.

Its a condensed season and relying on just 3 senior centre backs and then a bunch of square pegs in round holes would be suicidal for a side with at least playoff ambitions.

If the loan isn't going to plan, send him back in Jan and get Famewo back. It shouldn't be an expensive gamble at all really but an entirely necessary one if we actually have any ambitions on being competitive in this league. It would look a bit silly to have spent big on quality like Gibson and then be stuck partnering him with Tettey if the odd predictable injury happened.

As soon as Klose left, it was clear another decent centre back was required, it killed our season last year, I don't subscribe to the theory that we were miles off in the slightest, we were a fit, competent centre back and centre mid off in my view.