1 hour ago, king canary said:

Season 4 is no doubt the big test for Farke.

His first and third seasons, while not great, have some clear mitigating circumstances. This season though he doesn't have any excuses.

I think that’s fair, especially taking into account the squad that’s been assembled. 

However people asking for his removal after four games need to stop being so silly. New players take time to integrate into the club and Farke’s system and all the tiresome transfer speculation can only be unsettling. I don’t even think we’ve played that badly so far, things just haven’t quite clicked yet and we are normally pretty slow starters. I heard Cedric Anselin on The Scrimmage last night going on about how we’ve been sussed out and that we need to have a different way of playing......poppycock, Farke needs to persevere with his philosophy because when it works it can blow the rest of the division away like two years ago. And we arguably have a stronger squad this time round in what appears to be a very open league. He needs to just ignore all the noise from media and supporters / social media berks and keep working hard as I believe it will fall into place. 

Its top six absolute minimum though, anything less and he’ll be on his bike. And long before that if we are way down the table. 

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The pandemic and the resultant restrictions etc have thrown football off kilter, with freak results and a crazy transfer-window plan which might hobble us, but otherwise I think that is fair.

The impacts of Coronavirus on football could be seen as beneficial for Norwich though to be honest.

With parachute payments still coming in this year Norwich are in on of the strongest financial positions in the League (this is not likely to ever happen again). 

While I don’t think it is as black and white as promotion = success and non-promotion = failure as King says there aren’t any excuses this year.

Looking at how the squad rebuild has been done though, I do suspect Norwich‘s strategy was to make a real push for next season after a transitional one this season. 

• Thanks 1

The football at Premiership level has never been better to view for the Sky watching fans around the world. The boring dross at the restart has been overtaken by goals fests galore. 

Here’s hoping fans get into grounds in significant numbers ASAP but the entertainment value at present has never been better. 

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Much as I disagree with the post, it's a bit sad the way that usually moderate posters have piled on to start mocking the OP for poor English skills. I'm a proofreader and copywriter for a living, and believe me I notice every single mistake that everyone makes. But we're not all academically minded, and sometimes those of us that are academically minded still aren't strong with language. If the OP is dyslexic, for example, this isn't a very kind way to behave.

Plenty in the content of the post itself to disagree with, without getting all high and mighty about the mode of delivery.

It could have just been a fast typed couple of paragraphs at home or work too. Now we’re discussing if dyslexia could be the issue or something far worse. 

22 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I think that’s fair, especially taking into account the squad that’s been assembled. 

However people asking for his removal after four games need to stop being so silly. New players take time to integrate into the club and Farke’s system and all the tiresome transfer speculation can only be unsettling. I don’t even think we’ve played that badly so far, things just haven’t quite clicked yet and we are normally pretty slow starters. I heard Cedric Anselin on The Scrimmage last night going on about how we’ve been sussed out and that we need to have a different way of playing......poppycock, Farke needs to persevere with his philosophy because when it works it can blow the rest of the division away like two years ago. And we arguably have a stronger squad this time round in what appears to be a very open league. He needs to just ignore all the noise from media and supporters / social media berks and keep working hard as I believe it will fall into place. 

Its top six absolute minimum though, anything less and he’ll be on his bike. And long before that if we are way down the table. 

1. Anselin's comments are nothing new and many across the media have made similar comments. Predictable teams are a gift to the opposition. 

2. I only feel that he'll be 'on his bike' if he wants to. Unless we were heading back to League 1, he won't be sacked. After all, it is not as though our majority shareholders want to get promoted because they don't like the Premier League (as do some of our fanbase)

Farke was poorly treated last season by the board and should have walked own his own accord. Fighting a losing battle if you ask me, sadly. 

57 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Agreed on the general point.

I’d go further: the OP has not even made a ‘grammatical error’ but used what linguists might call a dialectical variation. Non-standard forms of grammar are typically labelled as ‘incorrect’, especially in writing. 

You can’t claim superiority when someone simply uses their own regional or ethnic dialect - which they’re more than entitled to do. A point usually missed in the uk as a legacy of our 19/20th century ancestors’ aggressive & ideological classism. They  attempted irrationally (but rather successfully) to assert Standard English as the only ‘right’ way to talk or write.

Here endeth the lesson.

Other than that, OP’s actual content was tommyrot, IMNSHO

I believe you mean - assert Standard English as the only 'correct' way to speak or write.

• Like 1

For everyone who says we need to sack farke now; My question to you is who do you want to take charge?

Surely the timing if they were to sack him now would be absurd, much the same as forest's decision. Farke has just had a transfer window where he got targets in that he wanted (so much as we can tell atleast) so to go and get someone else in throws all that work away. Plus, Farke's playing style needs to be considered and is a match to the squad he has built, so that would narrow the choices. I appreciate this is part of a point of having a sporting director so that the transfers and squad have a continuity to them that should also match a consistent management pattern and style. However who is out there and available? And further to that, based on what is it that you think that candidate can do a better job.

Yes Farke was plucked from thin air with no experience, but it isn't always that lucky. Farke is the pukki of gambling with minimal experience foreign coaches, the next one Webber picks could be a drmic.

54 minutes ago, komakino said:

1. Anselin's comments are nothing new and many across the media have made similar comments. Predictable teams are a gift to the opposition. 

2. I only feel that he'll be 'on his bike' if he wants to. Unless we were heading back to League 1, he won't be sacked. After all, it is not as though our majority shareholders want to get promoted because they don't like the Premier League (as do some of our fanbase)

Farke was poorly treated last season by the board and should have walked own his own accord. Fighting a losing battle if you ask me, sadly. 

I think a team can be as predictable as they like, if they are as good as we were in 2018/19 it doesn't really matter. 

I get having a plan B if plan A isn’t working but not inventing a new plan A when the original one has been so successful. 

12 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Edited by Sooty57
Post removed - perhaps OP is dyslexic or has other learning disabilities

Not really the right time to be switching managers, nor do I think Farke should go. He has brought stability and an element of success to this football club. His ethos of playing decent football should be commended and continued. He will need time, with a number of new squad players in order to achieve results. This doesnt happen overnight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Looking at how the squad rebuild has been done though, I do suspect Norwich‘s strategy was to make a real push for next season after a transitional one this season. 

This is exactly my feeling, Bethnal, and why I support what Farke and Webber are doing. 

Feels a bit like Groundhog Day to be honest. 2 years ago we had quite a few of the same supporters calling for his head. Thankfully, the calls were ignored and we went on to have one of our best ever seasons. But it could have turned out very differently if some had got their way. Looking forward to our next game as we will click before long and I’m pretty confident that will start with a win against Rotherham. 

13 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Not really the right time to be switching managers, nor do I think Farke should go. He has brought stability and an element of success to this football club. His ethos of playing decent football should be commended and continued. He will need time, with a number of new squad players in order to achieve results. This doesnt happen overnight.

Farke has successfully broken lots of club records, unfortunately preparing a team to win football games seems to be beyond him.

8 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Farke has successfully broken lots of club records, unfortunately preparing a team to win football games seems to be beyond him.

A tad harsh. It seems people have short memories and this goes for players too. It will only take Rupp to have one more good game before he is an essential starter, from being hung out to dry by people. My point is, give it time, Farke has done wonders before and its far too early to be talking about replacement.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

A tad harsh. It seems people have short memories and this goes for players too. It will only Rupp to have one more good game before he is an essential starter, from being hung out to dry by people. My point is, give it time, Farke has done wonders before and its far too early to be talking about replacement.

But his record would have been untenable at any other club. I like Farke, but I don't see the fire like two years ago and the squad isn't as good either. If getting promotion was a priority, he would have gone last season. 

7 minutes ago, komakino said:

But his record would have been untenable at any other club. I like Farke, but I don't see the fire like two years ago and the squad isn't as good either. If getting promotion was a priority, he would have gone last season. 

Why be like ‘any other club’? I hate the hire em and fire em nature of football with no time being given to build something. Last season was only partly his fault, we all know why we finished so far bottom. Based on two seasons ago he deserves time this season to get us firing on all cylinders. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Why be like ‘any other club’? I hate the hire em and fire em nature of football with no time being given to build something. Last season was only partly his fault, we all know why we finished so far bottom. Based on two seasons ago he deserves time this season to get us firing on all cylinders. 

He was sold down the river last year. He got no reward for getting us promoted and his has my sympathies. But many keep banging on about two seasons ago, but there is a world of difference. We are a known quantity and the only way I feel we could get up is if somebody else was brought in who was not one dimensional. Farke has not adapted his game. He's a theory man. The board would not sack him even if he burnt Carrow Road down, so we're stuck with him whether we like it or not. 

4 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Can appreciate your sentiment!   As an academic, what’s your thought on ‘opinion’.   Lots on here spout their opinions based on hearsay rather than actual fact and conveniently fail to consider or include the facts .... then try to argue they are entitled to their opinion!    

Seems an unintelligent and often unfair approach when the point is usually negative and critical.    Certainly worthy of a lot more criticism than a grammatical error.  

I have to say, a phrase that really irritates me is "I'm entitled to my opinion".

Not quite. You're entitled to an informed opinion. The whole point of discussion is to determine which opinions are better informed through facts and therefore a more logical perspective to follow.

A tangentially related matter is then that of freedom of speech. I hear people complaining about a lack of "freedom of speech" when they're asked to back up their opinions, or if they're told their opinion is hogwash. These people conflate "freedom of speech" with "freedom of consequences of speech".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I believe you mean - assert Standard English as the only 'correct' way to speak or write.

Your belief is correct... so my work here is done. 😀

That was the intended primary meaning in my choice of 'right'. As opposed to, say, solely 'morally or aesthetically approved', while allowing there may still be a persisting psychological element of one or both. For example, when snobbishness is an issue (and I'm not suggesting whether it is or isn't here).

It is illogical to allow a manager to bring in new players and then not give him time to work out through game time where each player is best suited and performs to his best in varying tactical situations and permutations with other players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The impacts of Coronavirus on football could be seen as beneficial for Norwich though to be honest.

With parachute payments still coming in this year Norwich are in on of the strongest financial positions in the League (this is not likely to ever happen again). 

While I don’t think it is as black and white as promotion = success and non-promotion = failure as King says there aren’t any excuses this year.

I agree - especially with the lack of crowds, I think the realistic plan is that we really push for promotion next season rather than this. With money in the bank and a more settled team, more developed youngsters and a more established way of playing throughout the club, which I think is already bearing fruit at the development level. I think this is the "vision" which has been sold to the new players. We are not likely to see the best of Placheta, Sorensen, Idah, Martin etc this season. We also have several players who might "expect" to be part of the first team squad next season in the Champs, (McCallum, Dennis, Famewo, Thomas, Hondermarck, Mumba etc) but not in the PL. You could even argue that going back up this season is not actually in the long term interest of the club, other than banking some bigger cheques (tin hat on).

Having said that, a playoff campaign is the minimum requirement to remain in that top 26 stated aim, and I expect that to be our criteria for success or failure. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I agree - especially with the lack of crowds, I think the realistic plan is that we really push for promotion next season rather than this. With money in the bank and a more settled team, more developed youngsters and a more established way of playing throughout the club, which I think is already bearing fruit at the development level. I think this is the "vision" which has been sold to the new players. We are not likely to see the best of Placheta, Sorensen, Idah, Martin etc this season. We also have several players who might "expect" to be part of the first team squad next season in the Champs, (McCallum, Dennis, Famewo, Thomas, Hondermarck, Mumba etc) but not in the PL. You could even argue that going back up this season is not actually in the long term interest of the club, other than banking some bigger cheques (tin hat on).

Having said that, a playoff campaign is the minimum requirement to remain in that top 26 stated aim, and I expect that to be our criteria for success or failure. 

We were favourites to win this league this season with enough funds to give Farke a helping hand. The best chance of promotion is this season not next. 

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Interesting post. 

When we last got promoted, it was almost by default. Therefore Farke was not backed - at least in finance terms - as there was little desire to keep in that league (and sadly some fans too). I think that may come back to haunt us.

However, I would agree that we have a better chance of getting up next year, but... I keep coming back to this time and time again that when you have owners that don't like the Premiership and some uncomfortable being there, it makes getting promoted much harder as the desire needs to come from the top and there simply is none. 

Much also depends whether Farke and Webber will be here next year. They may decide they have taken the club as far as they can, plus Webber wants to work in Europe. Will the club stick with the current approach - likely - or go back to the traditional manager - unlikely. 

I think we will be mid table on current evidence - if that was the case then Farke cannot survive. 

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Much as I disagree with the post, it's a bit sad the way that usually moderate posters have piled on to start mocking the OP for poor English skills. I'm a proofreader and copywriter for a living, and believe me I notice every single mistake that everyone makes. But we're not all academically minded, and sometimes those of us that are academically minded still aren't strong with language. If the OP is dyslexic, for example, this isn't a very kind way to behave.

Plenty in the content of the post itself to disagree with, without getting all high and mighty about the mode of delivery.

I'm probably one of those you're referring to, and you have a point, so I'll retract the 'barely literate' comment.

I stand by 'spam' and 'nonsense', however.

46 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Your belief is correct... so my work here is done. 😀

That was the intended primary meaning in my choice of 'right'. As opposed to, say, solely 'morally or aesthetically approved', while allowing there may still be a persisting psychological element of one or both. For example, when snobbishness is an issue (and I'm not suggesting whether it is or isn't here).

Futurama Fry meme

1 hour ago, komakino said:

Yes, but equally at any other club with the owners wealth we have dont tend to make it into the prem and certainly not as regularly as we have done. So it's nice to see how much you appreciate our current owners and respect our achievements Komakino. 🙂 

We don't have wealthy owners because Delia & Michael have stated on record that they 'don't listen to them'. We may never know what offers were made and by whom, but arguably she is placing herself before the club. I will state on record that I'm not one of those idiots who think she is raking in the cash and fiddling the books - far from it - but NCFC keeps her in the public eye and indirectly that has been invaluable. 

Farke would have been sacked at any other club in the country, but it is convenient for the board to have a manager to does not make any waves or places any pressure upon the board. The board used to have an objective to be a Top Ten Club - I remember Bowkett making that statement - but now it is Top 26. What will it be next year of the year after? Top 30? Top 50? 

Many young fans are happy with the club just existing and don't know of sustained periods in the top flight, let alone the top ten. Things have to change to have any chance of that happening again, but it certainly will not happen with the current owners in situ.