TIL 1010

Hughton Takes Over At Forest.

Good appointment.  CH is a decent manager , wouldn't  be surprised if he gets them up , if not this season , then next.

Decent bloke but his brand of football is soul-destroying. Glad we don't have to watch it every week anymore.

Some things never change though....

image.png.18364723cd0bbea3e9f5d834e4eae4d5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Regardless of what anyone on here says, he's a very good manager who has done well at every club at he's been at except ours. His record in the Championship is excellent.

We had our highest League finish in 25 years under Hughton in his first season in charge - a fact which very often seems to get forgotten on here. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

We had our highest League finish in 25 years under Hughton in his first season in charge - a fact which very often seems to get forgotten on here. 

We were also 17th with 2 games to play and got up to 11th courtesy of winning the final two games against WBA and Man C (If memory serves) who were already on the beach and didn't turn up.

• Like 3

Can take a side only so far, sadly, as a good guy otherwise. Give it 2 or 3 years and they’ll give him the boot to incredulity from everyone other than Norwich, Newcastle, Brighton and Forest supporters....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

We were also 17th with 2 games to play and got up to 11th courtesy of winning the final two games against WBA and Man C (If memory serves) who were already on the beach and didn't turn up.

That's very true but there's not a cat in hells chance that Hughton would have presided over that appalling post lockdown run that we witnessed under Farke! 

Hughton is a Fantastic championship manager , his championship football is good 

Problem is when he gets in the top league it is like he gets scared and plays totally the different defensive football 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

As has been said, the 11th place was a bit of an anomaly as we were 17th and in real relegation danger with two games to play. It was only a very congested bottom half that saw us leap to 11th.

Let's not forget that despite finishing 11th, we were actually three points worse off than the season before under Lambert.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, kick it off said:

It's water under the bridge now, but so what? You can only beat the team that 's in front of you. We're always told that a team's final position in the table is a fair reflection of how they have been in that season overall - for some reason there's still a band of people on here who just can't find it in themselves to admit that in regard to Hughton. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

11 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Amazing how people continue to run down that achievement so easily. Success is success and the season is played over 38 games and in the PL if you win your last two games you deserve the success. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Can take a side only so far, sadly, as a good guy otherwise. Give it 2 or 3 years and they’ll give him the boot to incredulity from everyone other than Norwich, Newcastle, Brighton and Forest supporters....

The last time a forest manager started and ended a season was a decade ago. I’d be surprised if he lasts 2-3 years!

My guess is he’ll do alright with them this year. Bad start but they’ll probably finish near the playoffs. Fans will start to moan about how boring his football is. Next season he’ll be mid table/a few points off the playoffs around Christmas and get sacked on the premise they want attacking flair football.

Some time around 2030, Forest will still be mid table in the championship and their fans will still all be saying they wish they’d stuck with pretty much any manager for more than 18 months whilst at the same time still moaning about how bad/boring/entertaining but not successful the current manager is.

• Like 1

The first half of Hughton's first season was brilliant- we were eighth in mid-December. The second half was disastrous, and we very nearly went down. A final total of 44 points was a decent return.

But the second season was dreadful, and although he officially didn't take us down, he would've done if he hadn't been sacked five games before the end.

And as I said before, Lambert got 47 points in his season in the Premier League, which is more than Hughton managed. He took us backwards, which is why his job here was a failure- admittedly the only one on his CV.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's water under the bridge now, but so what? You can only beat the team that 's in front of you. We're always told that a team's final position in the table is a fair reflection of how they have been in that season overall - for some reason there's still a band of people on here who just can't find it in themselves to admit that in regard to Hughton. 

Quite. I think some on here need to me more concerned that he's taking over at one of our rivals rather than anything else. It's a results based business and we sure as hell aren't getting them at the moment under Farke.

23 minutes ago, Aggy said:

The last time a forest manager started and ended a season was a decade ago. I’d be surprised if he lasts 2-3 years!

My guess is he’ll do alright with them this year. Bad start but they’ll probably finish near the playoffs. Fans will start to moan about how boring his football is. Next season he’ll be mid table/a few points off the playoffs around Christmas and get sacked on the premise they want attacking flair football.

Some time around 2030, Forest will still be mid table in the championship and their fans will still all be saying they wish they’d stuck with pretty much any manager for more than 18 months whilst at the same time still moaning about how bad/boring/entertaining but not successful the current manager is.

That is one hell of a stat. Not even Watford come close. Is that some sort of record? 

25 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

That is one hell of a stat. Not even Watford come close. Is that some sort of record? 

Can’t find much on whether it’s a record - should clarify, the one who just got sacked did actually start and finish last season, but he was the first to do so since Billy Davies in 09/10 I believe. 

Edit: Watford have also had more managers than Forest in that time. To be fair to a Forest quite a few of their managers have had a season’s worth of games - just from Jan to Jan!

Edited by Aggy

Derby County aren’t much better are they? Must be an East Midlands thing.

Edited by Nuff Said

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

Ah, but think of the "merit money" those two wins got us.

The Hoots was a good chap. Well liked. Good luck to him.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Regardless of what anyone on here says, he's a very good manager who has done well at every club at he's been at except ours. His record in the Championship is excellent.

Remind me how he didn't do well? 

He kept us up. 

What's more is that he had the hard job of following Paul Lambert who was considered the "Messiah" by most City fans at the time, despite his unsavoury exit.

Hughton's teams put up a better show, results wise, than either Neil's or Farke's.

Wolfswinkle was Hughton's undoing. Such a flop when so many of our eggs were put into that one basket, with apparent good grounds for optimism.  

I thought that we had got a true star in that player. A goalscorer that would secure our PL spot.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Derby County aren’t much better are they? Must be an East Midlands thing.

Probably more likely to be a “we still think we’re as big as we were forty years ago” thing! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It was still boring to watch and we only finished as high as we did because Man City were on the beach. He was a dreadful manager for us.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

What's more is that he had the hard job of following Paul Lambert who was considered the "Messiah" by most City fans at the time, despite his unsavoury exit.

Hughton's teams put up a better show, results wise, than either Neil's or Farke's.

Wolfswinkle was Hughton's undoing. Such a flop when so many of our eggs were put into that one basket, with apparent good grounds for optimism.  

I thought that we had got a true star in that player. A goalscorer that would secure our PL spot.

We did buy a true star - Hughton turned him into a donkey. Even now I can't understand why you would buy such a player and not play to his strength. Imagine him playing with confidence in a Farke team.

13 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

It was still boring to watch and we only finished as high as we did because Man City were on the beach. He was a dreadful manager for us.

This is my exact feelings on it. Think he's a brilliant bloke but watching Norwich City play his brand of football was as close as I've ever come to falling out of love with the sport. It was soul destroying to watch.

Maybe I'm a purist or whatever but watching that **** every week was crushing.

We literally went 4 consecutive games without a shot on target at one point.

4 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

That's very true but there's not a cat in hells chance that Hughton would have presided over that appalling post lockdown run that we witnessed under Farke! 

Disagree entirely. We had many of the same problems. Couldn't score goals, had no plan B when we went behind, Hughton's substitutions were less effective than Farke's (think the stat was something like 80 substitutions before a sub got an assist or a goal under Hughton). We'd have conceded a few less but I don't think we'd have picked up many points.