I was under the impression he went abroad a while back and it did him good as far as I could tell. Odd how some ‘fans’ seem to resent or envy a local lad doing well. I’m not on the grapevine but I’m not clear what heinous crimes he has committed. May the arrogance remain when one is young and talented e.g his pen at Spurs in the shoot out. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Ferguson and his enforcer Keane wouldn't have allowed it. 

Keane would have joined in with the drinking and then taken it out on everyone else at training. Horrible Bully.   Virtually unemployable in football now, only used as a pundit in the angry critic role. Bottled it when alone with Jon Walters, then sent him a letter to say he'd been fined....a coward like most Bullies.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, corbs said:

I was under the impression he went abroad a while back and it did him good as far as I could tell. Odd how some ‘fans’ seem to resent or envy a local lad doing well. I’m not on the grapevine but I’m not clear what heinous crimes he has committed. May the arrogance remain when one is young and talented e.g his pen at Spurs in the shoot out. 

Max Aarons manages to be much more talented and more professional without being an annoying narcissiric little **** despite being 2 years younger. 

How long can a man get away with acting like a spoilt teenager, he's nearly 23, a year younger than Kalvin Phillips. 

You say we should let him get on with it, but has the though not crossed your mind that his immaturity is what has put off potential bidders? 

32 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

When Ronaldo joined United he hung around with the old pros (Giggs, Scholes etc) after practice ended.

Some guys go home after training, some stay on and do extra

Some players are Ronaldo, some are not.

And some go to clubs, pound slammers and shots all night, turn up to training hung over and late get fat and ruin their careers.

Who can you name that did this? TIP: There are far more players that have done this than you would think

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And some go to clubs, pound slammers and shots all night, turn up to training hung over and late get fat and ruin their careers.

Who can you name that did this? TIP: There are far more players that have done this than you would think

You are a professional footballer. You’ve excelled through your youth development beating out all competition you rise to the very tip. You are one of the very few people that get to play football for a living. You not only earn a living, but a good living. You have huge potential. All you have to do to progress from your club to the next stage, European, international, it’s all within your grasp

and you decide to not apply yourself

and do TikTok videos instead

Is this all getting a bit out of hand? What has he actually done? He was one of our better players in the run in last season when others had downed tools. Yes he likes the attention but so would many other people in the same situation.

Just off the top of my head, Maguire, Walker, Barkley, Sancho, Greenwood, Foden, Grealish, Maddison Chilwell and Abraham have all done more stupid things over the last few months than Cantwell. Going back a little bit further, Rashford and Lingard. How are the supporters of these clubs reacting? I’m sure they’re not saying just get rid! There’s literally hundreds of players who have done more stupid things (I’m not talking really serious/illegal stuff here).

Good job he’s not necking half dozen pints before a match, gambling his earnings away to fund a drug habit or sleeping with elderly prostitutes!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Is it possible that - in the scheme of things - it rather suited Norwich to move Cantwell on (in preference say to Emi) and so they have not gone out of their way to play down any trivial incident.

indeed they have kept his name front-and-centre   

Given that his agent is not considered a close personal friend of Webber, and that Home-grown players are typically somewhat under-paid compared to their peers....

...and given that Cantwell’s goals in the Premier were quite striking (and well taken) and given that he is tactically probably the least crucial of the ‘famous 5’...

...and strangely appears rather more suited to the Premier than the Championship..

...that in actual fact he has done very little wrong and that much of all of this actually suits both parties as they drum up interest to see what’s out there?

Parma 

interesting, so you're saying some of this pantomine might be deliberate?

Admittedly while I am disappointed we are getting £25m not £30m for Godfrey, £15m to 20m for Todd would be decent business... I'd even suggest a straight swap loan for Saliba would be a good move. Saliba gets the games he needs, Todd gets the platform he needs, both sides would be reasonably happy and both keep growing assets on their books

3 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Is it possible that - in the scheme of things - it rather suited Norwich to move Cantwell on (in preference say to Emi) and so they have not gone out of their way to play down any trivial incident.

indeed they have kept his name front-and-centre   

Given that his agent is not considered a close personal friend of Webber, and that Home-grown players are typically somewhat under-paid compared to their peers....

...and given that Cantwell’s goals in the Premier were quite striking (and well taken) and given that he is tactically probably the least crucial of the ‘famous 5’...

...and strangely appears rather more suited to the Premier than the Championship..

...that in actual fact he has done very little wrong and that much of all of this actually suits both parties as they drum up interest to see what’s out there?

Parma 

The idea the club would try and drum up interest in a player by publicly suggesting an attitude problem is laughable to be honest. How would it remotely help? 

57 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

interesting, so you're saying some of this pantomine might be deliberate?

It nearly always is.

Amazed at the naivety of some. Fans being led by the nose, when the ‘facts’ in football are so often anything but.

1. Agent thinks player should move for his career. Can get him much more money and a better club.

2. Player open to idea. Recognises logic (and 50% pay cut) and that career is short and player may never be so ‘hot’ again.

3.  Club recognise above

4. Club could use money (perhaps to not have to sell different player)

5. Club can live without player tactically or replace within squad 

‘Come and get me, I’m for sale, Club don’t want me’ equals low ball bids. Especially then if only one club comes forward. This is then a Dutch auction.

Some ‘situations‘ occur. Bit vague, open to interpretation, mystically referred to. (Everything else is typically done behind closed doors).

All done to Keep headlines flowing, to keep awareness of player, to hint at much interest (very much not only 1 club, who can then low ball).

Very often done to homegrown or big name players, or to hide from fact money is needed, or Manager has stopped rating him....

...fans then immediately say ‘get rid if he doesn’t love us’....

Professional football. Tens of millions are involved at the stroke of a pen. Don’t you think Machiavelli might pop his head round the door occasionally??.....

Parma 

nb: There is no attitude problem. He got relegated, had a 50% pay cut, a club fancies him and bids low, club refuses, tries to drum up further interest (or give that impression), player is spinning, club want to sell, don’t want him injured, so ‘distracted’ or ‘not focused’ is just code. Bit like ‘back strain’ means ‘dropped’ 🤣

Any ‘attitude problem’ has largely been manufactured on this forum😂

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

It nearly always is.

Amazed at the naivety of some. Fans being led by the nose, when the ‘facts’ in football are so often anything but.

1. Agent thinks player should move for his career. Can get him much more money and a better club.

2. Player open to idea. Recognised logic (and 50% pay cut) and that career is short and player may never be so ‘hot’ again.

3.  Club recognise above

4. Club could use money (perhaps to not have to sell different player)

5. Club can live without player tactically or replace within squad 

‘Come and get me, I’m for sale, Club don’t want me’ equals low ball bids. Especially the if only one club comes forward. This is then a Dutch auction.

Some ‘situations‘ occur. Bit vague, open to interpretation, mystically referred to. (Everything else is typically done behind closed doors).

All done to Keep headlines flowing, to keep awareness of player, to hint at much interest (very much not only 1 club, who can then low ball).

Very often done to homegrown or big name players, or to hide from fact money is needed, or Manager has stopped rating him....

...fans then immediately say ‘get rid if he doesn’t love us’....

Professional football.

Parma 

I can see that if and when bids are actually coming in- we saw with Howson and Pritchard that once the sale was happening we started to hear how they were pushing to leave  not giving it their all etc etc and generally the fans went along with it.

But the idea the club and the player would be happy to put out this sort of stuff pre move? Dont think so. If he doesn't move he's now got a broken relationship with the fan base and other clubs have a bargaining chip to say why they should pay us and him less.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I can see that if and when bids are actually coming in- we saw with Howson and Pritchard that once the sale was happening we started to hear how they were pushing to leave  not giving it their all etc etc and generally the fans went along with it.

...and you see no similarities?

‘Bids’ are a very fluid thing in football. The final written can easily be the last thing to happen in the whole (convoluted) chain of events.

In the event of no-deal, history will be re-written by all.

Parma

I remember Andy Carroll basically being forced to go to Liverpool against his wishes when that £35m bid came in so its entirely believable... Its a massive risk though, especially since there are doubts over whether he is dynamic enough to really be up to prem standard long term when compared with other young talents.

24 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

since there are doubts over whether he is dynamic enough to really be up to prem standard long term when compared with other young talents.

Indeed TJ.

Might this be the unspoken catalyst behind the theatre? 

Todd wouldn’t agree and nor would his Agent - indeed such a thought would not be mentioned to them - though it might de-facto be the judgment the club have made internally. 

He is perhaps as hot now as he is ever going to be. However you draw it up 7 Premier League goals is fantastic for a young midfielder in his first season at that level. The Club must also focus on that with potential buyers - maximising his value - and masking any doubts that they may harbour. 

Such are the judgments that Clubs, Managers, Sporting Directors and players themselves must make. Such is the theatre that is inherent to the process. 

Indeed you can be right and wrong. Sometimes the very judgment that sees you leave is the motivating factor that drives you to the very heights that you (arguably) wouldn’t have reached if you’d stayed. 

Funny old game saint. Then throw £10million into the pot....

Parma

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 2