1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'm probably alone but if Cantwell is keen to move I wouldn't hugely blame him.

Webber clearly took a bit of a dig at the end of last season about 'staying on the pitch for the cameras.'

Farke has now singled him out publicly and obviously made his attitude the big story for two weeks in a row.

This, combined with the often OTT criticism from fans via social media, probably doesn't make him feel the most welcome or valued at this point.

This ^

Webber clearly took a bit of a dig at the end of last season about 'staying on the pitch for the cameras.'

Farke has now singled him out publicly and obviously made his attitude the big story for two weeks in a row.

This, combined with the often OTT criticism from fans via social media, probably doesn't make him feel the most welcome or valued at this point.

I do agree with that, however it's worth noting that none of this ever happened with Aarons, Godfrey or Lewis. Cantwell has, to an extent, invited some criticism as a result of his own behaviour.

The relationship between Cantwell and the fans/club is far from irreparable, but it has shown signs of breaking down a little bit.

If he feels that - and I say if - then he needs to simply get down to it, focus himself entirely with his football and forget all the other stuff.  Isn't one of the club slogans"ignore the noise"?  

A footballer's career is quite short and if you are going to give it your best shot you have to be totally focussed on it. Get distracted, get above yourself, wishing yourself somewhere else and it will affect your ability to perform on the pitch. It's a tough profession, lots of money to be made and a lifestyle available that many can't have, but what is more important in a young player's career - money? lifestyle? or the football.......

2 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

What Farke did clearly worked as Emi stropped down the tunnel after being substituted and then quickly realised that wasn't the best move to make. 

Granted he did then show petulance before sitting down but at least he saw sense and came back out.

Makes you wonder if he was told to go back or realised the changing room was locked. 

Whatever happened, does Farke think this is acceptable behaviour? Particularly with the stance on attitude that the club has maintained over the last couple of weeks. 

Should Emi have been told to control his temper? 2 sending offs the first of which was very damaging to our promotion run. I don't think he has been the same player since that dismissal , managing only 1 goal since April 19.

17 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I do agree with that, however it's worth noting that none of this ever happened with Aarons, Godfrey or Lewis. Cantwell has, to an extent, invited some criticism as a result of his own behaviour.

The relationship between Cantwell and the fans/club is far from irreparable, but it has shown signs of breaking down a little bit.

For sure- I don't think this will have come out of nowhere and I'm sure Cantwell has more than played his part.

My main issue is I don't think playing this all out in public has really helped all that much. Todd already got more stick from fans than he deserved, Farke and Webber calling him out only adds to that. It just all feels such a shame that one of the best players we've produced in recent years feels more likely to leave under a cloud of ill-feeling than celebrated in the way he probably should be.

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If he feels that - and I say if - then he needs to simply get down to it, focus himself entirely with his football and forget all the other stuff.  Isn't one of the club slogans"ignore the noise"?  

A footballer's career is quite short and if you are going to give it your best shot you have to be totally focussed on it. Get distracted, get above yourself, wishing yourself somewhere else and it will affect your ability to perform on the pitch. It's a tough profession, lots of money to be made and a lifestyle available that many can't have, but what is more important in a young player's career - money? lifestyle? or the football.......

Which is why footballers often push for a move if they have an opportunity to double, triple their wages and play at the highest level possible, to be fair.

10 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Makes you wonder if he was told to go back or realised the changing room was locked. 

Whatever happened, does Farke think this is acceptable behaviour? Particularly with the stance on attitude that the club has maintained over the last couple of weeks. 

Should Emi have been told to control his temper? 2 sending offs the first of which was very damaging to our promotion run. I don't think he has been the same player since that dismissal , managing only 1 goal since April 19.

I would imagine he had a moment where his brain worked and he realised he needed to go back out. 

I'm a bit more black and white on this and my view is simple; if (and I mean if) both of them have downed tools and if they or either has tried to instigate their own sale then for me they shouldn't be here as quite clearly they are not thinking of the club and never going to give 100% as they will always be looking for the next thing. 

Yes I know this is probably the case for every footballer but there is a way of going about it as has been demonstrated by Lewis, Godfrey and more so Aarons. 

Clearly lots of ifs but if true what has been suggested/rumoured then I don't want to see either in the shirt if they cannot give 100%.

Edited by Rich T The Biscuit

Good diversionary work by Webber and Farke though: the relegation-day pitch-sitting hissy-fit derailed that interview away from Webber's own poor recruitment efforts that season, and the recent frenzy of tool-downing fantasies on here has overshadowed any discussion of Farke's own performance and future, which I think most managers would be suffering in these circumstances. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I’m not quite sure what you think players do when not in training or involved in a game Lakey? When I’m not working I have a number of leisure activities which I will leave to your imagination as I’m 55 and not a big social media user. If I was 23, I would probably share more with those who are interested and if I was in the public eye I might well actually be encouraged to do so.

You seem to be suggesting that Todd should be shut up in a locked box when not involved in football related activity. For some reason you don’t seem to have the same approach for other Norwich players who are also busy on Instagram and the rest?

40 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So married players should ignore their families? 

What the players do in their free time is their own time is their own business. As you say, careers are short, they must think about their future and that of their family. 

Social Media is all about selling and promotion. A player like Cantwell has sponsorships so he has to maintain a presence on this medium. but he does use it to promote the good causes he is involved 

Todd was badly affected by the unnecessarily abuse he received at the end of the promotion season, he is also using social media as a way of gaining support and building back his confidence. It's sad that most of the abuse and negativity comes from within his own club. 

Even Pukki posts on Instagram, do you think he's saying "Hey losers, look at my lovely family" No, the great thing about social media is, if you don't like it, don't look at it. You can't use it to find sticks to beat people. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Added to which he is allegedly one of the lowest paid members of the squad. A new contract would seem like a good way of rewarding him for the huge improvement and contribution last season, while protecting his value to the club at the same time.

Can I have three pages of the PinkUn forum devoted to me?

I'm late middle age, drink too much and my golfing handicap is going up, not down. I have a full head of hair which is rather conservatively cut (at regular intervals.)

I used to play football, and once even represented Essex. Just once. I did not have an Alice band butI had a mean instinct for goal. 

I sometimes play cricket with my spinners (off-spin) still perplexing the unwary, but it is only for a pub team.

I take milk thistle regularly to help my liver and a few other supplements.

I eat healthily, usually at home,  and have never ever visited a Macdonalds or Superburger (or whatever) restaurant.

I never use Twitter, but have a Facebook account which I half comprehend.

In view of the above it is unfair that Todd Cantwell gets so much attention generally. Why not me?

With so much constant attention and at 23 there is no wonder that it all seems to have gone to his head.

Edited by BroadstairsR

22 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m not quite sure what you think players do when not in training or involved in a game Lakey? When I’m not working I have a number of leisure activities which I will leave to your imagination as I’m 55 and not a big social media user. If I was 23, I would probably share more with those who are interested and if I was in the public eye I might well actually be encouraged to do so.You seem to be suggesting that Todd should be shut up in a locked box when not involved in football related activity. For some reason you don’t seem to have the same approach for other Norwich players who are also busy on Instagram and the rest?

22 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

So married players should ignore their families? 

What the players do in their free time is their own time is their own business. As you say, careers are short, they must think about their future and that of their family. 

Social Media is all about selling and promotion. A player like Cantwell has sponsorships so he has to maintain a presence on this medium. but he does use it to promote the good causes he is involved 

Todd was badly affected by the unnecessarily abuse he received at the end of the promotion season, he is also using social media as a way of gaining support and building back his confidence. It's sad that most of the abuse and negativity comes from within his own club. 

Even Pukki posts on Instagram, do you think he's saying "Hey losers, look at my lovely family" No, the great thing about social media is, if you don't like it, don't look at it. You can't use it to find sticks to beat people. 

If you are pursuing a profession and want to get to the top - your entire focus should be on what gets you there. For a footballer, that isn't sponsorship, that isn't image, that isn't selling yourself.....it is what you do on the pitch in matches and in training.  If all those outside influences get in the way, then get rid of them, or at least not let it affect what should be your focus.  

Doing things for charity is good - of course it is - and so is family stuff - but they should support you getting to the top, whereas the other stuff can get in the way.  It's all about recognising what is important - and not letting other stuff get in the way.

Just now, lake district canary said:

If you are pursuing a profession and want to get to the top - your entire focus should be on what gets you there. For a footballer, that isn't sponsorship, that isn't image, that isn't selling yourself.....it is what you do on the pitch in matches and in training.  If all those outside influences get in the way, then get rid of them, or at least not let it affect what should be your focus.  

Doing things for charity is good - of course it is - and so is family stuff - but they should support you getting to the top, whereas the other stuff can get in the way.  It's all about recognising what is important - and not letting other stuff get in the way.

Most top clubs now encourage their players to do things that take their focus off football occasionally.

Just like everyone else, developing too much of tunnel vision is bad for mental health and hinders progress. Players are told to have a life outside of football and that finding ways to unwind and relax are hugely important to their development. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Most top clubs now encourage their players to do things that take their focus off football occasionally.

Just like everyone else, developing too much of tunnel vision is bad for mental health and hinders progress. Players are told to have a life outside of football and that finding ways to unwind and relax are hugely important to their development. 

Yes, of course, but not those things that have a detrimental affect on their ability to perform in their profession! 

Just now, lake district canary said:

Yes, of course, but not those things that have a detrimental affect on their ability to perform in their profession! 

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Unless Cantwell is partying all night, drinking or taking drugs then who is to say what is the right way for him to relax.

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So if Twitter can increase your confidence and ease your worries for the future, it can only be a good thing for your state of mind and attitude. 

9 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

I wonder if that was the whole point? Webber and Farke are smart, I wouldnt put it past them to have planned that comment to sow doubt and put off transfer interest in a couple of players they didn't want to sell...

So the theory is Webber and Farke would conspire to publicly question our players attitudes and drop them to put people off? Despite this risking alienating the players, costing them potential dream moves and hurting their value for teams who may still want to bid.

Sounds smart.

On reflection and taking on board what some on here say, i have probably been  too harsh on him with my comments. I  have a great deal of respect for Farke and developing younger players and would accept his judgement on the good and not so good points of younger players. I have my own suspicions about how he has been behaving but i accept what many say we do not know the  facts and may never will. Given how much we as a club invest and depend on youth i am sure both Farke and Webber would not want to keep anyone that showed a bad attitude or dissent, lest it contaminate the minds of others,, regardless of the player. I have always accepted he has a great deal of talent but also thought he will fare better in the top flight than the championship and for that main reason i would sell if we got a decent offer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bonzo said:

I have simply stated what the known facts are

Known facts?! Shall we remind ourselves what you have presented as your "known facts"?

5 hours ago, Bonzo said:

Any Manager or Sporting Director viewing his latest social media message with the "positive movements" quote would have to conclude;

1. The guy needs to grow up.

2. He needs to put a shirt on.

3. The "positive movements" might refer to an offer.Or.... 

4. Perhaps he's just got over a nasty bout of constipation and he needs to up his fibre intake.

5. He's not playing on Saturday because he's still got his head is stuck up his own rear end.

Inform me please what is even remotely factual about what you've presented in your numbers 1 through 5 above? You've taken your own prejudices and preconceptions based on a few words and a photo on social media, allowed you to come to every negative conclusion possible over what Daniel Farke has said in his press conferences and posted this entirely opinion based diatribe against one of our best players.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

WHAT TODD CANTWELL OR ANY PLAYER CHOOSES TO DO WITH THEIR PRIVATE LIVES IS THE BUSINESS OF THEM ALONE.

How they choose to express themselves is none of our business. How they choose to have their hair cut is none of our business.

The sooner we learn this, the sooner utter nuggets like you will stop running to internet forums to comment on the latest post that X player has made on Y social media as if it's some deep, dark window into someone's soul.

• Like 2

As Many Know on Here Todd was in the same youth teams as My Nephew

So i have seen him play many years 

Bit Immature then , very lightweight cried when he school team were beaten by other teams 

Very Very hard working though 

he would be jogging and stretching etc in the closed season keeping himself fit and driving himself on to become a professional 

when the other boys were doing what ever in the holidays my nephew laid in most mornings as teenagers did 

out of his age group ( youth at the time ) i think he was the only one that made it 

He was Told he was the best and he Knew it and so did everyone else was that good for him ? 

A lot of the players in todd's youth days are not playing football now even at local level 

so the facts were Todd was so driven to be a footballer and so hard working when he was a youth 

all credit to him for pushing all those youth years he made it most if not all didn't 

he had the talent it was plain to see 

But he has praise most of his life at Norwich has that effected him ? 

i can not answer about todd but that it effected my nephew he things because he was picked up by Norwich he can join any lower league team and guess what it did not happen , team lower down stage 5 he things he can join and be the best last a few games and gets bored as he like hype of him signing i think 

i am Todd's Biggest critic about his twitter posts not his one with new trainers boots etc that is expected 

he has to do that for sponsors 

the ones with his shirt off after this manager has dressed him down in public about movement when his mate signs is not the best idea for image 

So hopefully for people don't know he is very very driven  maybe he wants a move ?

Maybe it has gone to his head ? it has gone to many players heads one they have made it ?

Money is a funny thing when you are young remember getting your first big wage and blowing it ? 

so we are Harsh on todd but sometimes he does not help himself and sometimes as we are older and wiser we can see his mistakes 

If he doesn't get a move then he can consider himself very fortunate that there won't be fans at Carrow Road to greet his return.

But I wonder whether actually slacking off to force a move should be seen as disrespectful to fellow players, manager, and teammates who intend to stay or don't have the interest to move, and whether we should stick him in the U23's until 1st January anyway.

Clearly Emi saw the error of his ways and bucked up his ideas. Todd is supposed to be one of our own. 

I'm done with him, hope he goes. 

Is it possible that - in the scheme of things - it rather suited Norwich to move Cantwell on (in preference say to Emi) and so they have not gone out of their way to play down any trivial incident.

indeed they have kept his name front-and-centre   

Given that his agent is not considered a close personal friend of Webber, and that Home-grown players are typically somewhat under-paid compared to their peers....

...and given that Cantwell’s goals in the Premier were quite striking (and well taken) and given that he is tactically probably the least crucial of the ‘famous 5’...

...and strangely appears rather more suited to the Premier than the Championship..

...that in actual fact he has done very little wrong and that much of all of this actually suits both parties as they drum up interest to see what’s out there?

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 3

I've just thought of something that works in our favour so sorry if it's been said before. The teams have no fixtures to play other than internationals so there will be less injuries requiring them to get an additional player. Futhermore I don't know each teams 25 player squad to tell if they are maxed out or not.

Clearly though top championship players will be on every teams backup list to make use of this window so we still have that threat.

We can also request a good player on loan from them should they take one of our players.

Edited by KiwiScot

58 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If he doesn't get a move then he can consider himself very fortunate that there won't be fans at Carrow Road to greet his return.

But I wonder whether actually slacking off to force a move should be seen as disrespectful to fellow players, manager, and teammates who intend to stay or don't have the interest to move, and whether we should stick him in the U23's until 1st January anyway.

Clearly Emi saw the error of his ways and bucked up his ideas. Todd is supposed to be one of our own. 

I'm done with him, hope he goes. 

I wouldn't describe Buendia's performance as respectful. 

Makes it obvious in public that he's unhappy and that's OK? 

Double standards. 

8 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

I wouldn't describe Buendia's performance as respectful. 

Makes it obvious in public that he's unhappy and that's OK? 

Double standards. 

Just frustrated at being subbed, having a change of heart and returning to his seat.

You should see cricket players in the changing room after being bowled out. 

I'm surprised you don't consider locally born Cantwell to owe us a little more respect and loyalty after developing him for 12 years and doing everything to make him who he is. 

Buendia had already had his breakthrough at Getafe. In fact, had already helped them to win promotion to La Liga. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just frustrated at being subbed, having a change of heart and returning to his seat.

You should see cricket players in the changing room after being bowled out. 

I'm surprised you don't consider locally born Cantwell to owe us a little more respect and loyalty after developing him for 12 years and doing everything to make him who he is. 

Buendia had already had his breakthrough at Getafe. In fact, had already helped them to win promotion to La Liga. 

To be fair Emi  he has always been an emotional player- Be it for better or worse. Ever since we first played him, he's never the type to slowly amble off clapping when subbed, if we are losing or he is clearly frustrated by the match he has a history of being upset

This is nothing new.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To give Emi some credit he has always been an emotional player- Be it for better or worse.

And Cantwell has always been a little ****. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Unless Cantwell is partying all night, drinking or taking drugs then who is to say what is the right way for him to relax.

Ferguson and his enforcer Keane wouldn't have allowed it. 

When Ronaldo joined United he hung around with the old pros (Giggs, Scholes etc) after practice ended.

Some guys go home after training, some stay on and do extra

Some players are Ronaldo, some are not.