Doesn’t look like it’s going to happen for him tonight, but then that probably doesn’t matter as any interest in him has come from the domestic market. Makes you wonder how costly that ‘lack of application in training’ has been though. Has it put off any potential suitors?

Doesn’t help us either if he doesn’t give his best ie a player not doing anything to help us and as a club having a player worth £20m+ who’s value plummets.

• Like 1

Just now, Well b back said:

Doesn’t help us either if he doesn’t give his best ie a player not doing anything to help us and as a club having a player worth £20m+ who’s value plummets.

He’ll probably end up at Watford after all of this.

But, hopefully, he comes back from this and helps fire us back to the Premier League in just a few short months.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Makes you wonder how costly that ‘lack of application in training’ has been though. Has it put off any potential suitors?

I wonder if that was the whole point? Webber and Farke are smart, I wouldnt put it past them to have planned that comment to sow doubt and put off transfer interest in a couple of players they didn't want to sell...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyc24_uk said:

I wonder if that was the whole point? Webber and Farke are smart, I wouldnt put it past them to have planned that comment to sow doubt and put off transfer interest in a couple of players they didn't want to sell...

I do not doubt for one moment that both Webber & Farke are smart, and for that reason they´ll not want a player on the books with a market value of some £20m+ whose interest in furthering a career at CR, is, at best, questionable.

He´ll probably finish up with some diminishing PL club, like Liverpool or ManU...

2 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

I don't think it has much of an impact.  Football clubs are much like people who are with partners they started affairs with while that person was in another relationship.  They know the past history but are convinced it won't happen again.

There is always a club willing to take a punt on a Ravel Morrison despite his poor track record and there is always a club who will think they can keep that player who is always injured fit.

Edited by seanthecanary

2 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

I'm not sure it was particularly smart. I did say at the time I didn't agree with Farke going public and I still don't. The 'best price' window for Todd (and Emi) has now closed and if we do now sell it will be at lower numbers than we were originally getting excited about. If we don't sell at all then we could have one or two disruptive influence players on the books.

Interesting item on 5 Live this morning with Chris Latchem saying how clubs are using social media to check out how supporters feel about their own players so they can suss out what they are actually buying. Jesse Lingaad was the example used but I wouldn't have thought the backlash against Cantwell on here helped, or being slagged off by your own manager!! 

Farke was just trying to slap down a bit of player power and so far it's back-fired.

• Like 1

I'd have thought the overseas and premier league to premier league transfer window closing early is actually good news for us if we want to offload Cantwell (at an over inflated price).... which I would!

Any premier league club now missing a creative midfielder or who has one injured during the international break will have a much smaller pond to fish in. Not sure there are many better championship players around in his position (ironically apart from Buendia!). There haven't been any rumors of foreign clubs looking at him and to be honest he seems far too immature to be someone that would cope well with moving abroad.

IF a premier league club does show an interest we will have a stronger negotiation position. If they don't, Cantwell will need to buckle down and show his worth to create a move in January. 

Such a weird one that out of all the 5, he is the one seemingly kicking off most evn though he is probably the least proven. He's had half a good year at the top level and now is throwing his toys out... he needs to have a bit more patience and prove he can do it consistently

• Like 1

Realistically he is finished here. He is fortunate that there are no fans in the ground as if he got some game time in the next few weeks he would be given a hard time and realized he has turned from local hero to village idiot. I am sure he has enough talent to secure a move how much we get for him is difficult to say at the moment £15m upwards, no transfer and little game time  in the championship and the bottom will fallout of his value. It is now in his and Norwich's interests to move him on as quickly as possible for as much as possible. We do not want a bad smell of juvenile petulance infecting the younger players at the club, role model NOT he should take a look at Godfrey and Aarons as models as to how to conduct yourself

Edited by Yorkshire Canary
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Such a weird one that out of all the 5, he is the one seemingly kicking off most evn though he is probably the least proven. He's had half a good year at the top level and now is throwing his toys out... he needs to have a bit more patience and prove he can do it consistently

There is no suggestion that anyone has 'kicked off' or 'throwing their toys out of the pram'. Farke has just stated that Cantwell and Buendia dropped in their training levels and had lost focus. While Farke has been very public in explaining why Cantwell missed two games, he has also been very clear that there is no blame on the player and that this is something to be expected when there is intense transfer speculation.

You can understand Cantwell being the most keen to get a move as he is probably on the worst contract out of all the 'crown jewels' - he is probably on a lower contract than many of the new signings also when you consider he signed his contract before he had his major breakthrough into the starting XI. 

There is still a good chance he does leave Norwich before the 16th as when Premier League clubs look at the Championship for potential signings Cantwell will stand out for his ability and the fact he would be significantly cheaper than players like Sarr, Cook, Brooks and even Buendia.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

There is no suggestion that anyone has 'kicked off' or 'throwing their toys out of the pram'. Farke has just stated that Cantwell and Buendia dropped in their training levels and had lost focus. While Farke has been very public in explaining why Cantwell missed two games, he has also been very clear that there is no blame on the player and that this is something to be expected when there is intense transfer speculation.

You can understand Cantwell being the most keen to get a move as he is probably on the worst contract out of all the 'crown jewels' - he is probably on a lower contract than many of the new signings also when you consider he signed his contract before he had his major breakthrough into the starting XI. 

There is still a good chance he does leave Norwich before the 16th as when Premier League clubs look at the Championship for potential signings Cantwell will stand out for his ability and the fact he would be significantly cheaper than players like Sarr, Cook, Brooks and even Buendia.

Spot on, sadly since this additional window is still open think we are more vulnerable to the loss of Buendia, Aarons and Cantwell if some clubs get desperate.   Just hope the club are prepared to resist as we need these players not only for their abilities but also to maintain the nucleus of the existing team.    Seems to me unlikely we will achieve promotion (and perhaps pointless) if we are playing a virtually new team with the associated time it will take them to gel.

Edited by ged in the onion bag

13 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Realistically he is finished here. He is fortunate that there are no fans in the ground as if he got some game time in the next few weeks he would be given a hard time and realized he has turned from local hero to village idiot. I am sure he has enough talent to secure a move how much we get for him is difficult to say at the moment £15m upwards, no transfer and little game time  in the championship and the bottom will fallout of his value. It is now in his and Norwich's interests to move him on as quickly as possible for as much as possible. We do not want a bad smell of juvenile petulance infecting the younger players at the club, role model NOT he should take a look at Godfrey and Aarons as models as to how to conduct yourself

Realistically he is not finished here.   He hasn't been turned into a village idiot by the club, or Farke, or any rational fan.   Just by the village idiots on here!  

He's our player still, has ability, value and potential.    None of us know what has been going on or not as the case may be.   No one except for the village idiots has said he has 'downed tools'.    No one has said he isn't committed to the club.   Just that he's not in a good place at the minute and he hasn't dealt with the attention as well as others.    That doesn't make him a bad person or desperate to leave as you are only too quick to suggest. 

So its in Norwich's interests to ensure they build him back up and get him playing and contributing the way he can to help us achieve again. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Spot on, sadly since this additional window is still open think we are more vulnerable to the loss of Buendia, Aarons and Cantwell if some clubs get desperate.   Just hope the club are prepared to resist as we need these players not only for their abilities but also to maintain the nucleus of the existing team.    Seems to me unlikely we will achieve promotion if we are playing a virtually new team with the associated time it will take them to gel.

The briefing from the club seemed to be they were planning on selling 3 of the big 5. So one more going wouldn't be a shock.

Now the international window has closed it helps Norwich as Premier League clubs are all shopping in a very small pool. This is reliant on Norwich not needing to sell or not being backed into a corner of course. There are a few players whose futures are all linked to each other - any Premier League club looking to sign an attacking midfielder now has the choice of Brooks, Sarr, Benrahma, Cantwell or Emi - all quite different players of course but will all be identified at many Premier League clubs.

I doubt Max will leave as I don't think there is anyone with sufficient finances who wants a right back currently. 

39 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Any premier league club now missing a creative midfielder or who has one injured during the international break will have a much smaller pond to fish in. Not sure there are many better championship players around in his position (ironically apart from Buendia!). There haven't been any rumors of foreign clubs looking at him and to be honest he seems far too immature to be someone that would cope well with moving abroad.

You do know that he spent 6 months on loan at Fortuna Sittard in Holland two years ago????

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You do know that he spent 6 months on loan at Fortuna Sittard in Holland two years ago????

He was probably more mature then ....  It's the "fame" that seems to have gone to his head. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The briefing from the club seemed to be they were planning on selling 3 of the big 5. So one more going wouldn't be a shock.

Now the international window has closed it helps Norwich as Premier League clubs are all shopping in a very small pool. This is reliant on Norwich not needing to sell or not being backed into a corner of course. There are a few players whose futures are all linked to each other - any Premier League club looking to sign an attacking midfielder now has the choice of Brooks, Sarr, Benrahma, Cantwell or Emi - all quite different players of course but will all be identified at many Premier League clubs.

I doubt Max will leave as I don't think there is anyone with sufficient finances who wants a right back currently. 

Lets hope so!    Think two is enough and for this plan to work they may have to have a policy of only selling one per window.    Because so many of the lesser lights failed (Leitner, Trybull, Drmic, Steipermann, Vrancic, Klose and McLean - it could be argued), the overhaul of the first team is too great to maintain a cohesion/consistency.    To a large extent, we are starting again, albeit from a better financial position. 

I’m not sure you’re right there Bethnal re: Todd’s contract - he signed a new deal in 2019 on the eve of the PL season, having been a full member of the promotion winning side.  If his contract is as poor as you suggest that’s got to be more down to his agent than any kind of ‘seniority’ issue.

But I’ve felt all along that he’s one player we have already replaced and of the ‘three’ left he’d be the one we missed the least.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m not sure you’re right there Bethnal re: Todd’s contract - he signed a new deal in 2019 on the eve of the PL season, having been a full member of the promotion winning side.  If his contract is as poor as you suggest that’s got to be more down to his agent than any kind of ‘seniority’ issue.

But I’ve felt all along that he’s one player we have already replaced and of the ‘three’ left he’d be the one we missed the least.  

Cantwell was a bit part player in the promotion season. The club were still considering loaning him out until he had a major development leap in the close season. He wasn't a regular starting XI player at that point and certainly wasn't see as an integral player like Emi, Aarons, Godfrey etc. 

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Cantwell was a bit part player in the promotion season. The club were still considering loaning him out until he had a major development leap in the close season. He wasn't a regular starting XI player at that point and certainly wasn't see as an integral player like Emi, Aarons, Godfrey etc. 

Maybe this saga will end with him signing a new improved contract...................................

11 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Realistically he is not finished here.   He hasn't been turned into a village idiot by the club, or Farke, or any rational fan.   Just by the village idiots on here!  

He's our player still, has ability, value and potential.    None of us know what has been going on or not as the case may be.   No one except for the village idiots has said he has 'downed tools'.    No one has said he isn't committed to the club.   Just that he's not in a good place at the minute and he hasn't dealt with the attention as well as others.    That doesn't make him a bad person or desperate to leave as you are only too quick to suggest. 

So its in Norwich's interests to ensure they build him back up and get him playing and contributing the way he can to help us achieve again. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the people who have been far from impressed by his attitude are entitled to theirs, that he has talent is not in dispute, He is a valuable asset and if he/we are not careful he will become a depreciating asset, Godfrey and Aarons have been prime examples of dignified respectful professionals, Cantwell has not. Farke is not the type of manager to criticize players without good cause, indeed he is brilliant at developing and nurturing younger players. Cantwell would do well to copy the respected professionals at the club rather than trying to emulate Oliveira

Any Manager or Sporting Director viewing his latest social media message with the "positive movements" quote would have to conclude;

1. The guy needs to grow up.

2. He needs to put a shirt on.

3. The "positive movements" might refer to an offer.Or.... 

4. Perhaps he's just got over a nasty bout of constipation and he needs to up his fibre intake.

5. He's not playing on Saturday because he's still got his head is stuck up his own rear end.

I'm not sure the posting was well judged at all. We could have done with him playing on Saturday.

Why not just train hard and be the model pro? Surely that would be the better way to get a move if he really wants one. 

• Like 1

Maybe this saga will end with him signing a new improved contract...................................

I think if he is still a Norwich player once the window closes, that this is a very likely outcome.

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the people who have been far from impressed by his attitude are entitled to theirs, that he has talent is not in dispute, He is a valuable asset and if he/we are not careful he will become a depreciating asset, Godfrey and Aarons have been prime examples of dignified respectful professionals, Cantwell has not. Farke is not the type of manager to criticize players without good cause, indeed he is brilliant at developing and nurturing younger players. Cantwell would do well to copy the respected professionals at the club rather than trying to emulate Oliveira

I'm sorry Yorkshire but this is pie in the sky stuff. Nobody on here knows anything about his attitude other than what we have read in the media. As Bethnal has said above Farke has just said that he hasn't been as focussed as he should have been in training and that that's understandable given the circumstances. Cantwell played the first two games of the season - and whilst he wasn't brilliant, he wasn't terrible either and nobody with any common sense claimed he wasn't putting in the effort in those games.

It seems to me that what it boils down to is that a handful of loud mouthed morons and reactionary old farts don't like his hair, the fact he sometimes wears gloves and that he posts the same sort of things on social media that a huge number of other youngsters his age do nowadays. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm not sure it was particularly smart. I did say at the time I didn't agree with Farke going public and I still don't. The 'best price' window for Todd (and Emi) has now closed and if we do now sell it will be at lower numbers than we were originally getting excited about. If we don't sell at all then we could have one or two disruptive influence players on the books.

Interesting item on 5 Live this morning with Chris Latchem saying how clubs are using social media to check out how supporters feel about their own players so they can suss out what they are actually buying. Jesse Lingaad was the example used but I wouldn't have thought the backlash against Cantwell on here helped, or being slagged off by your own manager!! 

Farke was just trying to slap down a bit of player power and so far it's back-fired.

No idea how anyone can draw that conclusion. It could have been incredibly important for the rest of the dressing room that Farke showed that level of power.

We've also seen Emi come back into the squad with a point to prove, and he worked hard for the time he was on the pitch.

• Like 2

I'm sorry Yorkshire but this is pie in the sky stuff. Nobody on here knows anything about his attitude other than what we have read in the media. As Bethnal has said above Farke has just said that he hasn't been as focussed as he should have been in training and that that's understandable given the circumstances. Cantwell played the first two games of the season - and whilst he wasn't brilliant, he wasn't terrible either and nobody with any common sense claimed he wasn't putting in the effort in those games.

It seems to me that what it boils down to is that a handful of loud mouthed morons and reactionary old farts don't like his hair, the fact he sometimes wears gloves and that he posts the same sort of things on social media that a huge number of other youngsters his age do nowadays. 

Well as others have suggested he will either move on or surprise many of us by signing a new contract

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

That's exactly what it is. They were pretty moronic about him in our last championship season when he came in in place of Buendia. Then they had to keep quiet for a season because he was very good in the prem. Now it's like a free-for-all.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

No idea how anyone can draw that conclusion. It could have been incredibly important for the rest of the dressing room that Farke showed that level of power.

We've also seen Emi come back into the squad with a point to prove, and he worked hard for the time he was on the pitch.

What Farke did clearly worked as Emi stropped down the tunnel after being substituted and then quickly realised that wasn't the best move to make. 

Granted he did then show petulance before sitting down but at least he saw sense and came back out.