TeemuVanBasten

Jack Wilshere Free Agent

Is he the playmaker we need at number 10? 

Worth a cheeky £20k a week offer? Farke the career resurrector? 

I can remember when Portsmouth signed Paul Merson on a freebie in this league after people said he was finished at the top level, ran things at this level and was the talisman Portsmouth needed to take them up. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Is he the playmaker we need at number 10? 

Worth a cheeky £20k a week offer? Farke the career resurrector? 

Of all the people I'd have expected to make such a stupid suggestion, you were absolutely number 1.

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Of all the people I'd have expected to make such a stupid suggestion, you were absolutely number 1.

Why is it a stupid suggestion? Really think this fella is going to get another Premier League deal? 

Its no different from the time we landed Huckerby, seen as a huge coup at the time.

I forgot it is practically illegal to think big as a Norwich fan now, ambition is banned. 

Bet you'll say I'm delusional on one hand, then be happily throwing Martin Peters around in a discussion about best ever Norwich players. 

If you don't ask you don't get, and what a better way of showing the world that we aren't the unambitious tinpot club we've been doing a good impression of recently. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why is it a stupid suggestion? Really think this fella is going to get another Premier League deal? 

Its no different from the time we landed Huckerby, seen as a huge coup at the time.

I forgot it is practically illegal to think big as a Norwich fan now, ambition is banned. 

Bet you'll say I'm delusional on one hand, then be happily throwing Martin Peters around in a discussion about best ever Norwich players. 

If you don't ask you don't get. 

I can't see it. He is undoubted quality, if not for injuries he would be the first name on the team sheet for top 6 clubs and England. The problem is not his ability, it's that you cannot build a side around him because you have no idea if he can play more than 10 games a season. 

I did put this as a joke on the other thread

After Matt Jarvis signing Wiltshire on a Contract would be a terrible idea 

His Injury record is terrible 

saying that we will probably sign him on a 30k a week 4 year deal if the west ham doctor gives him the ok 

Edited by norfolkngood

Just now, seanthecanary said:

I can't see it. He is undoubted quality, if not for injuries he would be the first name on the team sheet for top 6 clubs and England. The problem is not his ability, it's that you cannot build a side around him because you have no idea if he can play more than 10 games a season. 

Definite risk there, but Krul was a crock remember. 

cheeky little pay as you play based deal, why not? Better than McClean or Rupp anyway

Edited by Tetteys Jig
  • Like 1

Just now, norfolkngood said:

I did put this as a joke on the other thread

After Matt Jarvis signing Wiltshire on a Contract would be a terrible idea 

His Injury record is terrible 

saying that will probably sign him on a 4 year deal if the west ham doctor gives him the ok 

True, already got Byram and Drmic to keep the medical department busy! 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If you don't ask you don't get. 

I wouldn’t say it’s particularly likely...but not beyond the realms of possibility. When he broke into the team at Arsenal he was exceptional...sadly injuries have f**ked his career.
If he was interested in a 1 year deal at CR I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed 

4 minutes ago, zema abbey football genius said:

I wouldn’t say it’s particularly likely...but not beyond the realms of possibility. 

if I were him I'd be accepting defeat in this country and having a few cosy years in the MLS, somewhere sunny - Beckham's new club in Miami perhaps. 

But I'd also be excited by us taking a punt on him on a 1 year deal if it weren't overly expensive, and perhaps a low basic salary with decent top ups when available for selection. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

If its a serious suggestion you have demonstrated that you have zero ability to understand the game you watch. 

Moan about a lack of team form then suggest we bring in an unfit, over the hill, expensive midget. 

You're a genius. 

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

if I were him I'd be accepting defeat in this country and having a few cosy years in the MLS, somewhere sunny - Beckham's new club in Miami perhaps. 

But I'd also be excited by us taking a punt on him if it weren't overly expensive, and perhaps a low basic salary with decent top ups when available for selection. 

I think you've said it yourself there in the first paragraph. I don't think his body will let him make it at the top level here, and with his millions in the bank and England caps in his cabinet, he'd probably see coming to a Championship club on what is a glorified pay-as-you-play deal as beneath him. He could probably earn more money with far less pressure somewhere like the MLS.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think you've said it yourself there in the first paragraph. I don't think his body will let him make it at the top level here, and with his millions in the bank and England caps in his cabinet, he'd probably see coming to a Championship club on what is a glorified pay-as-you-play deal as beneath him. He could probably earn more money with far less pressure somewhere like the MLS.

Looking at his statement, he says he has been fully fit for 8 months, he's just not been selected. He also says he still believes he can play at the top level. I guess it remains to be seen if any PL club believes that or not

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't think his body will let him make it at the top level here, and with his millions in the bank and England caps in his cabinet, he'd probably see coming to a Championship club on what is a glorified pay-as-you-play deal as beneath him.

I suspect you are probably right.

But I doubt any of us thought we'd ever see Wayne Rooney, with his many more millions in the bank and his many more England caps in his cabinet, scoring at Carrow Road in a Championship fixture. 

Paul Merson dropped down to the Championship, Darren Anderton to League One, David James to the Championship and League One, stranger things have happened.

Although admittedly Merson had snorted and gambled away all his money and David James went bankrupt after some poor investments, so perhaps that was partly out of necessity! 

1 minute ago, Michael Starr said:

Hahah 20k a week. Try nearer 200k a week!

What, double his West Ham salary and after having played 16 games in two years? What sort of crazy logic is that? 

The MLS or A-League probably make more sense for a player like that, but he may not be the type to want to move abroad, some English players just like being near family and if he is one of those then he may find that £20k-£30k a week in the Championship is the only option he has on the table. 

Are you getting confused with Aaron Ramsey? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

6 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

If its a serious suggestion you have demonstrated that you have zero ability to understand the game you watch. 

Moan about a lack of team form then suggest we bring in an unfit, over the hill, expensive midget. 

You're a genius. 

On reflection suggesting we sign a 28 year old former England international on a ‘short term deal’ is ludicrous, considering the hugely talented Kenny McClean and Rupp are vying for a place in the starting line up... 

You are clearly the genius 👍🏻

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He says he's been injury free for 8 months, still only 28. 

If not us it will be one of our rivals.

Back to Bournemouth, wait for it...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He says he's been injury free for 8 months, still only 28. 

If not us it will be one of our rivals.

I suspect so, depends really whether he's the type to fancy playing abroad. 

He could probably make decent money overseas, can't see a Premier League side taking a punt on him after two years in the wilderness.

14 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

You're a genius. 

Calm down Bill, I haven't kicked your cat. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

Looking at his statement, he says he has been fully fit for 8 months, he's just not been selected. He also says he still believes he can play at the top level. I guess it remains to be seen if any PL club believes that or not

I also saw the statement.

But the reason he has been injury-free for eight months is probably because he hasn't played. I doubt he'd go eight months without an injury if he were playing every week.

He may believe he can still do it at the top level, but it would be interesting to see if any Premier League coaches or sporting directors agree. It wouldn't surprise me if a club did take a punt, but I can't see him getting close to his previous form, personally.

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I suspect you are probably right.

But I doubt any of us thought we'd ever see Wayne Rooney, with his many more millions in the bank and his many more England caps in his cabinet, scoring at Carrow Road in a Championship fixture. 

Paul Merson dropped down to the Championship, Darren Anderton to League One, David James to the Championship and League One, stranger things have happened.

Although admittedly Merson had snorted and gambled away all his money and David James went bankrupt after some poor investments, so perhaps that was partly out of necessity! 

Rooney is on £50k a week a Derby, and apparently a big reason why he's there is that he wants to get into coaching and he wants to work with Cocu, who came recommended by van Gaal. Allegedly.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Rooney is on £50k a week a Derby, and apparently a big reason why he's there is that he wants to get into coaching and he wants to work with Cocu, who came recommended by van Gaal. Allegedly.

Rooney is on £50k a week because he's one of the most famous players in the world and a gambling company are paying his wages. He'd still be in America if he could keep his willy in his pants. 

Wilshere's salary will be what the market is prepared to pay, and that probably depends how broadly he is prepared to draw his market. If he's willing to go and play in the Middle East he could make a fortune. 

But if he wants to remain in the UK, then surely not going to be getting anywhere near £50k a week from his next club? 

I can't think of a single Championship club who can afford to throw serious money around, although it wouldn't surprise me massively if Brentford fancied him as a marquee signing to coincide with their new stadium and to fit their general philosophy! 

I can see Wilshere going to one of our rivals here.

Wilder at Sheffield United has been known to take a punt though (Rodwell, Ravel Morrison, swapping Robinson for Burke who was once really highly rated), and West Brom may be getting a bit desperate. Who knows, might get one more crack at the Premier League.

He's exactly the type of player we need though, somebody to dictate the tempo, a Leitner replacement! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I also saw the statement.

But the reason he has been injury-free for eight months is probably because he hasn't played. I doubt he'd go eight months without an injury if he were playing every week.

I'd agree with that, it's easier to stay injury free when not playing. Also, not in the way he plays but Wilshere has a touch of Bryan Robson about him in that he will never back out of a risky challenge. 

In terms of playing ability I'd have him at number 10 in a heartbeat, but sadly his durability is very much in question. But a pay-as-you-play deal or something similar - absolutely. Homegrown, talented, can definitely pick a pass, and competitive.

Sadly I suspect his wage demands may be a bit out of our league. 

The bloke's got bags of talent - remember that peach of a goal against us at the Emirates - but having all those injuries he's totally lost his way.

Plus I think he fancies himself a bit too much to be concerned with the likes of Norwich.

No thanks.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.