Sign in to follow this  
daisy

Excited by new signing.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I was quite excited when Dutch internationals Leroy Fer and Ricky Van Wolfswinkel both rocked up in summer 2013.

Soon just missed the fat tyre fitter from Carlisle. 

Out of likes, but agree Teemu 👍. It was hard not to get excited about us signing those two. Thought we were going to the next level there. RvW probably would’ve fitted into the Teemu role under Farke perfectly to be fair to him. Not really suitable for a Chris Hughton side.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Out of likes, but agree Teemu 👍. It was hard not to get excited about us signing those two. Thought we were going to the next level there. RvW probably would’ve fitted into the Teemu role under Farke perfectly to be fair to him. Not really suitable for a Chris Hughton side.

Not sure really, he wasn't very mobile - or at least didn't move much, and Teemu actually has decent upper body strength and can hold off a defender now and again with his back to goal.

I just think RVW was a player who belonged in the 90's when people would play 4-4-2 with a big lump and a poacher. 

Fer showed some moments of absolute brilliance, and a few games where he just ran things, problem is he was just too lazy. That problem seems to affect quite a few Dutch players doesn't it... two burgers Wildschut, Andy Van De Meyde who just became a huge coke head in Liverpool. Royston Drenthe who had the world at his feet as Real Madrid's left back and just blew it, Winston Bogarde at Chelsea who earnt millions and millions as a piece of deadwood. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Too much time.

I’m far too relaxed tonight so if you’re really desperate for an argument, why not crack open a 16 pack of scrumpy and head on over to Facebook (if you’ve got enough time on your hands that is) 👍

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Last ready made players I was excited about was Leroy Fer and RVW.

Same. 

In our most recent two Premier League seasons, we haven't really signed a big name player worth going over the top about. Possibly Naismith is the closest, but he wasn't enough to get properly excited over.

Massive let downs, the three of them.

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You two not get excited by the Leroy Fer signing a few months later then? 

I remember being more excited by that than RVW, he had more caps and had almost signed for Everton for £25m the summer prior!

Yes, I mean that whole summer I thought was the sign of us becoming 'established' but I genuinely thought RvW would take us to lofty heights (Europe etc.) and just got too carried away with it.

Angus Gunn (albeit on loan) signing for us was pleasing. But for excitement especially in the build up the latest for me was probably RVW.

Luciano Becchio was another 🤷‍♂️

Definitely Earnie. Signed at 11.35pm in a motorway layby I seem to recall? I thought he would take us up as he was a real goalscorer. Which he was .....but then someone paid his release fee a year later.

Secondly, the gallic flair of Marc Libbra. Except for one moment of magic, he faded rather.

And who can forget Strihavka?!! Otherwise known as Dave.

Edited by sonyc

14 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Definitely Earnie. Signed at 11.35pm in a motorway layby I seem to recall? I thought he would take us up as he was a real goalscorer. Which he was .....but then someone paid his release fee a year later.

Secondly, the gallic flair of Marc Libbra. Except for one moment of magic, he faded rather.

And who can forget Strihavka?!! Otherwise known as Dave.

F**king Strihavka - Didn’t Roeder bin him off 6 months into his contract...on account of him being utter s**te? 😹

Must confess RVW seemed exciting as fans of clubs bigger than ours thought we'd pulled off a great signing.

Going back in time it was MacDougall and Peters. Huckerby and Dean Ashton more recently ( who I'm sure would've kept us up had we had the gumption to sign him pre-season )

Nathan Redmond is probably the only one other than RVW since 2010

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Same. 

In our most recent two Premier League seasons, we haven't really signed a big name player worth going over the top about. Possibly Naismith is the closest, but he wasn't enough to get properly excited over.

Massive let downs, the three of them.

To be fair yeah, Naismith felt like a prem signing and his performance against Liverpool had me excited. He just didn't give us much time to be excited because he was pretty poor pretty quick.