Sign in to follow this  
daisy

Excited by new signing.

So when was the last time you got really excited about a new signing? I mean really excited. For me it was when we finally got Hucks, for a fan it was great news and we all know the rest. I want to feel like that again but sadly can't see it happening for a long time. 

I think Emi. Always liked the technical South American’s with that bit of flair, and with his background coming through the youth ranks at Real Madrid, I did think we could have something pretty decent there. Funnily enough I don’t remember there being much excitement surrounding him signing, but I doubt I was the only one.

• Like 1

It’s hard to get excited about defenders but genuinely pleased with Gibson, albeit a loan. 

The feeling we got from signing Hucks will never be repeated. The whole unveiling and the rollercoaster will never be forgotten. 

8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I think Emi. Always liked the technical South American’s with that bit of flair, and with his background coming through the youth ranks at Real Madrid, I did think we could have something pretty decent there. Funnily enough I don’t remember there being much excitement surrounding him signing, but I doubt I was the only one.

Seem to remember Michael Bailey and/or Paddy getting pretty excited about him, maybe doing them a disservice but think that was after what they'd seen at Colney. And as for the rest of us, agree he did seem to come in pretty well under the radar. Wonder if we've got any real hidden gems in the new crop of newbies?

Definitely Hucks I put a £5 in the bucket. We had Crouch as well he was struggling at Villa and he transformed us and like wise. His career picked up after that never heard him mention that though ungrateful lanky stick insect

Grant Holt. Thought he would score enough goals to get us promoted from League 1. Never dreamed he would then score enough to get us promoted to and stay in the Premier League.

• Like 2

Hucks , was fantastic could we afford him ? then he told his agent his agent to make it happen the rollercoaster of emotions was hard to beat 

But Dean Ashton young player banging them in for Crewe was great to bring in 

Robert Fleck Another heard loads about him from my cousin Rangers season Ticket holder so could not wait to see him play for us 

Grant Holt, always wanted us to sign him when he was banging them in for Rochdale, as a League 1 side I was genuinely excited about him.  Before that Hucks.

Can't say I've been massively excited about any signing since, pleased with many, but not genuine excitement.

3 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Seem to remember Michael Bailey and/or Paddy getting pretty excited about him, maybe doing them a disservice but think that was after what they'd seen at Colney. And as for the rest of us, agree he did seem to come in pretty well under the radar. Wonder if we've got any real hidden gems in the new crop of newbies?

Bali Mumba and Sebastian Soto are my early guesses to be the cream of the crop, Crispeduk - what about yours? But then there’s Placheta, Dowell, Sorenson etc etc. Personally, my early feeling is that we’ve had a good window this far 👍

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Bali Mumba and Sebastian Soto are my early guesses to be the cream of the crop, Crispeduk - what about yours? But then there’s Placheta, Dowell, Sorenson etc etc. Personally, my early feeling is that we’ve had a good window this far 👍

Mumba and Soto a good shout - ridiculous how many potential good 'uns we have, had actually forgotten about the two of them. Placheta excites too, but another who seems to have slipped a little into the background but looks like he could be an ace is Josh Martin.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

You got excited by an Argentine player no one had heard of plying his trade in the Spanish second division? 

Okay then. 

Last ready made players I was excited about was Leroy Fer and RVW.

So basically if they're exciting they're generally a let down.

I was excited about Redmond though and he was great.

1 minute ago, crispeduk said:

And yes Dowell !!! Agree Mr Moss, a good window.

Waaaay too soon to determine if we've had a good window or not. I definitely learnt from last season (where I thought we'd done ok) that we need to see how things pan out before we can start talking about success or failure.

Just now, hogesar said:

Last ready made players I was excited about was Leroy Fer and RVW.

So basically if they're exciting they're generally a let down.

I was excited about Redmond though and he was great.

Fer is a good shout- that whole summer was exciting really.

10 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You got excited by an Argentine player no one had heard of plying his trade in the Spanish second division? 

Okay then. 

Whether you or I had heard of him is immaterial. Like most City supporters, when things are looking in the 90% bracket that we’re actually going to sign said player, I always do a bit of research on them. The fact he’d been in the Real Madrid academy did indeed excite me. It’s not often, if ever, a player with that kind of background rocks up at Carrow Rd and it didn’t take much research to find out he was a creative AMF. Generally if you play in one of the more exciting positions and are in the youth ranks at Real Madrid then that’s a pretty good marriage I would say. So yes, he was the last player that excited me. Each to their own 👍

• Like 2

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Whether you or I had heard of him is immaterial. Like most City supporters, when things are looking in the 90% bracket that we’re actually going to sign said player, I always do a bit of research on them. The fact he’d been in the Real Madrid academy did indeed excite me. It’s not often, if ever, a player with that kind of background rocks up at Carrow Rd and it didn’t take much research to find out he was a creative AMF. Generally if you play in one of the more exciting positions and are in the youth ranks at Real Madrid then that’s a pretty good marriage I would say. So yes, he was the last player that excited me. Each to their own 👍

You have too much time on your hands.

14 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Mumba and Soto a good shout - ridiculous how many potential good 'uns we have, had actually forgotten about the two of them. Placheta excites too, but another who seems to have slipped a little into the background but looks like he could be an ace is Josh Martin.

Wasn’t overly excited about the Josh Martin signing, but he’s made people sit up with his performances for the youngsters. He’s got something about him for sure. High hopes for that one 👍

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You have too much time on your hands.

Never too much time on your hands when you’re following your number 1 passion 👍

Have to confess that it was Van Wolfswinkel.

My brother had watched the last game he played for Sporting Lisbon on TV and he had scored a superb hat-trick; left foot, right foot and header.

"He's the closest thing you're going to get to guaranteed goals" opined my brother. (My brother is as good a judge of what makes a top striker as Chris Hughton). 

I was quite excited when Dutch internationals Leroy Fer and Ricky Van Wolfswinkel both rocked up in summer 2013.

Soon just missed the fat tyre fitter from Carlisle. 

45 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

van Wolfswinkel 🥴

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You two not get excited by the Leroy Fer signing a few months later then? 

I remember being more excited by that than RVW, he had more caps and had almost signed for Everton for £25m the summer prior!

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

My brother had watched the last game he played for Sporting Lisbon on TV and he had scored a superb hat-trick; left foot, right foot and header.

"He's the closest thing you're going to get to guaranteed goals" opined my brother. (My brother is as good a judge of what makes a top striker as Chris Hughton). 

Yes I got caught up in that one - was watching non-League with a random Hammer who was giving it large in a friendly way and taking the pee out of Carlton Morris I think and I smugly smiled and said just you wait until you see Van Wolfswinkel 🧐