Sign in to follow this  
Doomcaster

Max back to his Max?

Great to see Max Arrons be more positive against Derby - at long long last

Maybe looking for a move ? - as he has performed well below his best since Lockdown last season

Since Lock down - the results has been absolutely dreadful, just  hope some players get their heads up & now start performing on the pitch (& not just within training camp as Farke wants)

I will wait and see what unfolds with Max in the remaining couple of weeks of this transfer window as he’s been the one other than Godfrey who’s appeared to have had the most interest. He’s one that you desperately hope you can keep but know that it’s an uphill task when you look at the magnitude of the clubs showing interest/making approaches. I think he’s looked a cut above in each of the games we’ve played so far, yet pleasingly he still has another gear in him. 

I get that this is going to be act of heresy and a VERY unpopular opinion and accept I may be being a tad unfair but I think he has to do more. I know for some he's immune to criticism but we at times excuse his defending because he's an attacking full back yet he doesn't have enough end product. I'm not expecting him to have numbers like the full backs at Liverpool but 1 assist and 0 goals in 40 games just isn't enough, considering the positions he finds himself. I do think he's a very capable player and his potential is off the charts but he's now in his 3rd season and his final ball, cross, decision needs to better. He has a great engine though and he continually gets himself in great positions. I have never seen him hide once in any game, always shows for the ball and is always trying to be positive. He's going to have a great career, no doubt at another club. 

Edited by seanthecanary

27 minutes ago, Doomcaster said:

Great to see Max Arrons be more positive against Derby - at long long last

Maybe looking for a move ? - as he has performed well below his best since Lockdown last season

Since Lock down - the results has been absolutely dreadful, just  hope some players get their heads up & now start performing on the pitch (& not just within training camp as Farke wants)

Btw our results this season are not incomparable to how we started the League last time we smashed it. And that fact seems to be largely ignored, for whatever reason. If we were getting battered by teams I’d be concerned, but the performances are improving, and we’re dominating the ball, I think we could just do with a bit more one touch zip and pace with regard to how we move the ball. Most of the players have shown to devastating effect last time we were in this league, the quicker we move the ball, the more effective we are - teams just don’t get a chance to regroup so easily when we play like that. Hopefully that kind of tempo will start to show itself soon : )

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I get that this is going to be act of heresy and a VERY unpopular opinion and accept I may be being a tad unfair but I think he has to do more. I know for some he's immune to criticism but we at times excuse his defending because he's an attacking full back yet he doesn't have enough end product. I'm not expecting him to have numbers like the full backs at Liverpool but 1 assist and 0 goals in 40 games just isn't enough, considering the positions he finds himself. I do think he's a very capable player and his potential is off the charts but he's now in his 3rd season and his final ball, cross, decision needs to better. He has a great engine though and he continually gets himself in great positions. I have never seen him hide once in any game, always shows for the ball and is always trying to be positive. He's going to have a great career, no doubt at another club. 

Note your points although it may be fairer to consider the chances he created rather than assists as unfortunately we couldn't hit a barn door with at banjo last season.    

10 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Note your points although it may be fairer to consider the chances he created rather than assists as unfortunately we couldn't hit a barn door with at banjo last season.    

I know I'm being hyper critical and somewhat unfair on him but it's probably because I do rate him highly.  I accept the finishing wasn't there last season and I don't know what his chance creation was tbh.  He also had the same problem as Lewis in that when he found himself in good positions there was barely anyone in the box but 6 defending players.  I still do believe that he should and can improve in the final third though 

40 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

That's not unreasonable, to be fair, but you've actually summed up his popularity as a player in that last bit. You've got a youngster who's come through the ranks, he's had Bayern and Barcelona sniffing at him, still giving it plenty - and even when we've struggled, he's not hiding and still trying to do things.

For a young player, still with less than 100 league games to his credit, to demonstrate such mental attributes is pretty rare and wholly admirable. That is why he and Godfrey probably have more upside than Cantwell. That's not to criticise Cantwell, but he can just be a little more distracted now and again.

Get past 11pm tonight and that would be the first and probably biggest hurdle over in terms of keeping him.

Same applies to Emi.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Get past 11pm tonight and that would be the first and probably biggest hurdle over in terms of keeping him.

Same applies to Emi.

Not sure. Still another 11 days I believe for a PL club to come in for them as I understand it?

Just now, seanthecanary said:

Not sure. Still another 11 days I believe for a PL club to come in for them as I understand it?

Correct.

But Max has had a lot of interest from abroad (but no offers) but little from the EPL recently that I'm aware of.

Emi is a wildcard. I don't want him to leave but probably too much water under the bridge and clearly not happy here.