Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

So Where do we stand with Webber

Now i am not one that is advocating change at the top, leastways not this side of Christmas anyway. It was Webber not so very long ago that went public with probably wanting a fresh challenge when his contract expires. I am not sure when this is but i guess it may be on or around the end of this season. Since he made those comments a lot has changed after our worst ever top flight performance, relegation, COVID has hit the world and though very early days a pretty indifferent start to this season. Given his influence at the club he hires and fires the manager and staff and has the major say  in relation to transfers, his position at the club cannot be more important and as such his thoughts as to his future are vital to our longer term planning. I may be wrong but i sense this season may be similar to the one before the promotion one, with a churn of players and new ones and youth needing to bed down and get that psychological hangover of such a terrible second half the the PL season out of the collective system. How good is he ? he has proved to be a shrewd negotiator at transfer sales and has made many good value signings and allowed Farke to  deploy the strategy of developing youth which to date has worked very well. It should be remembered though that others need to take the credit for bringing the likes of Madison, Godfrey , Lewis and Aarons to the club. There is no doubt in these troubled times that the club finances are in a far better place. Set against that though  that the transfer strategy last season in a results business  was an absolute shambles. With regard to that i do not gripe that we did not spend millions that we probably did not have on signing new players but we did waste millions on loan fees, high wages and agents fees for at least 3 players last season that contributed little or nothing. I personally would be happy for him to stay, but he is not a 10/10, we do need to know if he is going to remain at the club beyond this season. The worst possible thing is if he were to go at the end of this season but get rid of and select another manager and staff and the same goes with player ins and outs. If he does go then what, do the Board  do ?  look to replace with a like for like set up or change the model again, it is one that most British managers would not want to work within. What also troubles me if he does go in the next year is our Boards ability to select competent replacements, for me they have proved to be at best inconsistent, For every Farke and Lambert and to a lesser extent Neil there has been a Roeder, Hamilton and Gunn, so i am very much in the camp of careful what we wish for

Edited by Yorkshire Canary

Indeed we should be careful. Its amusing how we get so many people shouting Farke out or Webber out and yet they either state very unrealistic manager replacement choices that would never happen or just flat out refuse to say who they would replace them with.

I mean seriously folks if you want Webber out name me his replacement 

• Like 1

The only thing i don't like about Webber is he tells us he is leaving 

Imagine having a happy workforce and the boss keeps saying i will be leaving soon / or when i get a better offer Not great is it 

I Remember when i was Employed many Years ago if someone important said they wanted to leave they made him leave there and then and not work his Notice due to the important role he did ,

That's the only thing i do not trust about webber 

we all Know that people leave and people go when getting a Better offer but to keep telling people this 

i think he shows he thinks he is better than NCFC and it can not be a good thing 

Cantwell thinks he is better and gets slated for it ( Rightly so ) Yet his boss can say it over and over 

• Like 1

He by his own admission is on the downward slope in his time at Norwich.

whether the past season and a bit should hasten that I am still on the fence let’s see how much he spends in the transfer window over the next few days will decide his fate in my mind

Edited by Uncle Fred

10 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Imagine having a happy workforce and the boss keeps saying i will be leaving soon / or when i get a better offer Not great is it 

I Remember when i was Employed many Years ago if someone important said they wanted to leave they made him leave there and then and not work his Notice due to the important role he did ,

we all Know that people leave and people go when getting a Better offer but to keep telling people this 

i think he shows he thinks he is better than NCFC and it can not be a good thing 

Cantwell thinks he is better and gets slated for it ( Rightly so ) Yet his boss can say it over and over 

Don't disagree but the difference is Webber said he'd leave at the end of his contract and isn't trying to force a move whilst under contract. 

Granted its not a great statement that he made last year but not quite the same. 

12 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

I agree with this, but the funny thing is, unless he pulls his finger out and gets us at least challenging for promotion, then will he really be an attractive proposition for a big club?

After a dismal relegation and failed promotion challenge, the only things he'd have going for him is youth development and turning profits, as opposed to success on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree with this, but the funny thing is, unless he pulls his finger out and gets us at least challenging for promotion, then will he really be an attractive proposition for a big club?

After a dismal relegation and failed promotion challenge, the only things he'd have going for him is youth development and turning profits, as opposed to success on the pitch.

A point I made in a previous thread, it's a big few weeks for Webber if he wants that dream. 

Webber has been fantastic for us, look at our youth system, the improvements to Colney, the improvement in the pitch, the individuals now selling for record fees and the retention of key coaching staff.

What a story and to think where we were prior to his arrival. What I think is interesting is if he did move to a club higher up the ladder would he have the support, freedom, lack of critical press and belief in his structure. I think hew would change his structure if he left and I wonder how bigger clubs would react to that. Bigger clubs have big personalities who impose them at board room level, whereas we have custodians and fans leading us at the top.

I do want more investment, but I am delighted with this model. I am proud that we have not chopped and changed the manager etc and have developed a system of playing good football and improving players, letting them achieve their potential. Mosti mportantly buying into the project for their own good and the team as a whole.

I agree, people do not stay forever, and he has said so. However I worry how we keep all the hard work and personnel once he leaves. Can we keep this scouting network, can we maintain the philosophy, will we have coaches who can again present that vision. Look what has happened to Huddersfield.

Lots of questions, which is why it is great to be part of this and living in the now. We have been relegated after a season marred by injuries and not having enough quality alongside some great young players. We now have a good squad and are selling players at great values to support our club and the good of the team. I have no problem with then reinvestment.

We have fully fledged internationals, Krul and Pukki, with great youth internationals in the group, seasoned pros in tettey, hanley and klose and the exciting Gibson on loan who is hungry.

Hey I am not saying it is easy but we are in a much better position than the vast majority of football clubs and so while on this crest lets achieve more and push for more. There are many clubs who would want one of our exciting players or a youth system providing players who were on the books at Arsenal or are Belgian youth internationals etc.

I think we will look at some additional personnel with the £ that has come in and may still come in if other players leave. Either way it is exciting and hopefully Farke has built a squad he wants and he can show us how he is going to lift them again.

I am by no means a happy clapper, as my friends will say. However I can stand back and look at other clubs in and around us who would love our stability, ethos, achievements and stature. A lot of that has come from Webber and his team and if he were to leave, many of those people may also leave and although I know that will be tough for us; I also think he and they may never have it as good as they have it at NCFC. 

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Indeed we should be careful. Its amusing how we get so many people shouting Farke out or Webber out and yet they either state very unrealistic manager replacement choices that would never happen or just flat out refuse to say who they would replace them with.

I mean seriously folks if you want Webber out name me his replacement 

Daniel Farke, then bring in a new coach.

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

A point I made in a previous thread, it's a big few weeks for Webber if he wants that dream. 

I struggle to see much happening, if anything, though. The international window closes at 11pm tonight and then it's 11 days for the domestic market. Historically Webber's always favoured the international market and virtually all of the domestic names who could have improved us have been snapped up.