Was probably our only forward player who escaped our turgid run in last season with any credit. He looked really effective at times and I felt like he would be one to rip up the championship this year.

But so far he’s been non-existent and not got going at all. May be that he needs a run of games, or a few sub appearances against tiring leg to get into his rhythm? Expecting more from him for sure.

If we were to £7m or more as others have said then that’s good money IMO.

Would certainly expect to see a replacement though..

• Like 1

With Dowell's injury and the situation with Buendia and Cantwell, the only way I can see this happening is if we have a more proven player lined up as a replacement. 

For that reason I feel this one is unlikely.

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I was going to make a similar point. Do we need both? @Parma Ham's gone mouldy -interested to hear what you think.

Well, do we want to be complete devoid of pace in the side if whichever one gets injured or suspended? 

Placheta is injured right now isn't he? 

If we keep Cantwell and Buendia then we've got a sufficient number of wingers right now, last season we were one short (that's Placheta now).

If we lose any wide player I'd like to see us signing another. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Twitter reporting an approach for Hernandez from Turkish side, Basaksahir, who can offer champions league football. 

would be gutted to see him go too. I know there is often little end product but he’s a player I like and my son’s favourite 

Excactly. NO END PRODUCT.I've seen enough of them here.Oh for a Jimmy Neighbour. Yep,i'm that old. Or a Charlie Crickmore!!

If we could get 8m + for him and have replacements in mind already then fine, but he would need replacing.

The good news is there's generally a good amount of pacey, tricky wingers with a lack of end product available. So he wouldnt be irreplaceable. 

However, he is slightly unique in having very good upper body strength, we have been able to effectively use him as someone to hold the ball up a bit.

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If we could get 8m + for him and have replacements in mind already then fine, but he would need replacing.

The good news is there's generally a good amount of pacey, tricky wingers with a lack of end product available. So he wouldnt be irreplaceable. 

However, he is slightly unique in having very good upper body strength, we have been able to effectively use him as someone to hold the ball up a bit.

When he's on it, he's totally exciting to watch. Like a baby bull with electric pace & a ballet dancer's feet (well, err ... you know what I mean). 

Every match he plays I get the feeling this could be the one where he rips the opposition to shreds.

Totally exciting.

• Like 1

I like Onel as a character but as a player he never really stays wide and gets lost during games. 

We have PP and Josh Martin plus our wing backs  so if he went I don't think it will be a big loss 

8 hours ago, ron obvious said:

When he's on it, he's totally exciting to watch. Like a baby bull with electric pace & a ballet dancer's feet (well, err ... you know what I mean). 

Every match he plays I get the feeling this could be the one where he rips the opposition to shreds.

Totally exciting.

I agree but for every good game he has at least a poor one. watching him you often can sense pretty early on which it will be. I like the look of Martin and he will probably be given his chance soon. Onel for me is a good squad player that i would prefer not to lose, but probably has more impact coming on second half when the opposition begin to tire. That said everyone has his price, i do not know what interest there is in him and what money is being talked about

He has been well below his best this season,  with just 2 assists since the start of last season and only 2 creative passes this.  Add in only beating his opponent once out of 5 attempts he is typical in teh squad of a lack of confidence.   I would start Idah ahead of him in the next game.

However we do know that when on form he is thrillingly unpredictable to watch so unless its a good price (?£6m+?) i would be looking to keep him and wait for the confidence to return.

7 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I agree but for every good game he has at least a poor one. watching him you often can sense pretty early on which it will be. I like the look of Martin and he will probably be given his chance soon. Onel for me is a good squad player that i would prefer not to lose, but probably has more impact coming on second half when the opposition begin to tire. That said everyone has his price, i do not know what interest there is in him and what money is being talked about

Exactly this. As far as I'm concerned a starting line-up with Onel in it is not ideal. He's much more effective (and decision-making is better) against tiring defenders. I basically would having one of Placheta and Onel on the pitch at the same time, but never both.

24 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Quite so. It's not a rational thing. I'd just hate losing that thrill of anticipation - even when disappointed.

But, hey, he'll be off one day. That's football.

Much prefer he stayed. Given the logic that Farke has only one win in 18 games or whatever, then it’s only fair that people do the same with Onel rather than talk about what he has or hasn’t done in only this season (just 4 games in btw)

He was our best player by far in post lockdown PL football. Very good character. He can be awesome at this level. Keep him. 

I'd like him to stay, but I don't think he's quite as brilliant as some suggest in this thread. 

He's quick, he's dangerous, he's exciting and he must be a nightmare to defend agsinst, but his decision making is poor, his end product is very inconsistent and he has struggled this season against deep, blanket defences. 

When the opposition sits back, he doesn't have the space to utilise his pace, which is probably why he looked more dangerous last season against sides who attacked us and left more space at the back. 

Like I said, I'd much rather he stayed than left because he is a useful weapon to have, but he isn't the sort of player who will make or break our season, in my opinion.

18 hours ago, hogesar said:

What, like people who think that Srbeny is Sloughbottom Park standard? 😉

I was thinking more along the lines of those who thought Drmic was a good player who had a future in the squad and this weekend proclaiming they knew all along Rupp would turn out to be a good addition let alone their profound knowledge of formations and tactics without ever managing at any level of football including Sloughbottom Park.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of those who thought Drmic was a good player who had a future in the squad and this weekend proclaiming they knew all along Rupp would turn out to be a good addition let alone their profound knowledge of formations and tactics without ever managing at any level of football including Sloughbottom Park.

In fairness, John, I suspect many of those posters that are pleased to see that Rupp has the potential to be good at this level, didn’t necessarily think or know he’d be a good addition from the off, it was rather that they were prepared to give him a chance and some time before writing him off as useless. Many players take a while to come good (big Iwan a prime example), and armed with that knowledge it seems very wise to keep the powder dry until the player has had a decent chance to find some form, settle etc (or not!).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So you weren't thinking along the lines of people who proclaim footballers belong at Sloughbottom Park whilst scoring in the Premier League and Bundesliga?

Just checking..

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

So you weren't thinking along the lines of people who proclaim footballers belong at Sloughbottom Park whilst scoring in the Premier League and Bundesliga?

Just checking..

Having run a football team for several years who played at Sloughbottom Park i have seen several ex city players turn out for the opposition including Martin Peters so i think i am in a pretty good position to make judgements on what i have seen.

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Having run a football team for several years who played at Sloughbottom Park i have seen several ex city players turn out for the opposition including Martin Peters so i think i am in a pretty good position to make judgements on what i have seen.

Must have been quite an experience being an amateur manager and seeing a world cup winner lining up against your team.

Great player for us and really did the local football some good by playing for Gorleston etc.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

giphy.gif.a29cc47c755e1274da5071132f465088.gif