cambridgeshire canary

The 'I was wrong about Ruup' thread

55 minutes ago, Clint said:

Regards the free kick, he had no choice but to take the guy out but my only thoughts would be, why didn’t he take him out earlier in a less dangerous position.

Gibson had gone walkabout upfield, Zimbo and Quintilla aren’t the quickest so just wipe the guy out before he gets anywhere near our box. As a team, we never ever seem to commit cynical/clever fouls.

That's very easy to say in hindsight, but 20 yards earlier there was still a good chance that Zimmermann had the situation under control. It was only apparent as play reached the edge of the box that Zimmermann may have been about to be beaten, so Rupp decided, quite correctly, a free kick 25 yards out was less dangerous than a possible/probable one-on-one.

12 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Hang on a minute. He’s done f—k all special in a team guilty of the same thing. Let not get carried away. We’re are in a very poor position at present and thing need to improve all round before we start entering people in to the hall of fame. 

‘Let’s not get carried away’

’before we start entering people in to the hall of fame’

Er, ironically I think it’s you getting slightly carried away if you’re suggesting people want to enter him into the hall of fame?! No ones suggesting he’s Leo Messi or anything.

He did play well, and I think this threads totally justified. He did absolutely nothing wrong chopping the Derby player down. Last season we were criticised for not doing the same thing at times. He just did what any player would do in that situation last ditch, though if he’d allowed the player to go on and score he’d have been criticised for that too 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

That's a perfectly reasonable perspective on the situation. I just wondered why Rupp had his own thread following an ok ish game.

I suppose because there has been a lot of criticism of Rupp before this last fortnight. In all honesty I almost fell out of my chair watching him playing CM for the first time again Bournemouth. In these two games - he just looks the right fit for the role. He hasn't score or assisted a goal yet so most posters are giving him a 6/10 but his positional play is good and he is looking dynamic in that position - unlike McLean who doesn't look the part cos he's played out of position there !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Which is fine as we are in the championship not the premier league. 

So what was your point? 

Eh?

Obvious really, that they are ok whilst we are in the Chumps and are decent enough to command a place in a side aspiring to promotion, but that should we achieve this they will need to be improved upon.

No particular "point," just an opinion. Is that allowed?

Edited by BroadstairsR

46 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Er, ironically I think it’s you getting slightly carried away if you’re suggesting people want to enter him into the hall of fame?! No ones suggesting he’s Leo Messi or anything.

He did play well, and I think this threads totally justified. He did absolutely nothing wrong chopping the Derby player down. Last season we were criticised for not doing the same thing at times. He just did what any player would do in that situation last ditch, though if he’d allowed the player to go on and score he’d have been criticised for that too 🤷🏻‍♂️

46 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

He is what he is. Bang average he doesn’t warrant a thread regarding his performances past or present. He’s wouldn’t even be in my team next to Skipp at home to a team who hasn’t taken a point all season and had just been hammered. But hey that’s the managers shortfallings. 

2 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I have never been negative about Rupp or McClean. I actually think that Kenny one of our best midfielders. However, it was Rupp that gave away the free kick that resulted in the goal that decided the game.

Yes, but after Gibson had travelled with the ball deep into their half and was out of position and Idah had misplaced a pass. Those first two things don't happen and there's no goal. 

I think Krul hould have saved it. It was telegraphed by Rooney after all.

I blame our 'keeper. So there!

In actual fact you can play the blame game for dozens of incidents, mis-placed passes and fouls etc. in any game. Sometimes they lead to goals.

I remain more than slightly exasperated, however,  that so many of our players continually give such free kicks away in such dangerous positions so very often.

Emi is a frequent culprit, but not a defender. Defenders/defensive players  should have more control and more experience to deal with such situations. We do have one of the best goalkeepers in the league after all and even most one on one's are fluffed as well. 

I thought Gibson slotted in well, but the real test would have become when defending set pieces and corners. It got to the stage whereby I was s-itting myself at every corner against us when we were in the PL.

Derby had few of these yesterday. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

I thought he made the right decision to make the foul yesterday.

Derby player was running right through our non existent defence.

It was just unlucky that Rooney took a decent free kick (although I also think Krul could’ve done better and with better positioning could’ve got across to save it).

9 times out of 10 the free kick wouldn’t have gone in and Rupp wouldve done the right thing.

one of my biggest gripes with McClean is the number of time I’ve seen him just running alongside a player and failing to tackle or put a foul in. It’s a classic example of a player who looks like they’re doing something but actually are totally ineffective (other than boosting his running stats and ground coverage 😉)

3 hours ago, All the Germans said:

and it never will. The same people who wants to drop a striker as soon as he doesn't score, hails a new striker as the best thing in the world as soon as he does score (and then wants him dropped when he subsequently doesn't score), wants a manager sacked after a loss etc etc. I don't know why football make - usually reasonable - people swing from one extreme to another from game to game (and within games too!).

They might have also been the ones calling for Farkes head after 4 points from 4 games, this time 2 years ago 😉

Couldn't resist.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 1

There's no real answer RB, it's ifs and buts and there are so many of these in every football games. Sometimes they are conclusive.

P.S. I don't really blame Krul in the slightest. Rooney's kick was the result of years of skill and experience at the top level.

Impossible to save, imo.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Rupp looked good yesterday simply because Derby sat back and gave us the ball to play with. They played with ten behind the ball and were quite happy to sit deep and defend, any midfield combination yesterday would have looked good on the ball, having said that, he did what he was asked to do. 

4 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

They might have also been the ones calling for Farkes head after 4 points from 4 games, this time 2 years ago 😉

Couldn't resist.

🤣👍

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

He is what he is. Bang average he doesn’t warrant a thread regarding his performances past or present. He’s wouldn’t even be in my team next to Skipp at home to a team who hasn’t taken a point all season and had just been hammered. But hey that’s the managers shortfallings. 

You also mean the team that were challenging for promotion last season that we absolutely dominated and likely would have also battered if Teemu didn’t slip. Sh1t happens sometimes - performances are heading in the right direction, and results will follow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peanuts said:

I'm not sure who that is though. Vrancic can certainly make things happen but don't think he has the legs any more, at least not for 90 minutes. Kenny is probably more attack minded than Rupp but I don't think he offers anything really that different. I actually thought Skipp looked pretty decent getting forward yesterday and would like to see more of that - perhaps that's what Farke wants from him and Rupp, two versatile midfielders rather than one sitting and one going forward?

I don't think we actually have that player in the squad. It's what we're lacking though. Someone like Howson. I guess that's what Farke thinks McLean could be, but I'm not convinced that he's got the right attributes.

For what it’s worth, I thought Rupp got the ball and diverted it away from the Derby player and I was surprised that a foul was given-but then nobody argued about it at the time so I was obviously wrong although I’ve seen the replay a couple of times too.

Rupp or McClean as a 6 right now - to work with Skipp (who at a young age is our best midfield player & a great loan signing)

McClean is in very poor form &/or attitude  (perhaps he wanted a big transfer to a bigger Club????? bless him)

Rupp done a lot better against Derby - his last ditch tackle was way too late - but he done ok other than that

Glad Farke can at long last see McClean & Cantwell don't help our midfield atm

Sell them both - or get them motivated Mr Farke

We are desperate for a quality No10 (pity injury to Dowell)  - albeit the Stiep done ok, and Beuendia could be the player to unlock Championship level defences (as Farke said - the quality is a lot lower than the Prem)

Not sure Webber has brought in quality 'unknown' 1st team players this season (other than Skipp, & perhaps Hugill)  - but we need to get rid of the deadwood for sure

Farke on Play Station - yes I think he is.  His tactics on playing 3 strikers are so basic & desperate - but they do win Play Station matches on a regular basis

Farke needs to get into the real world - and start motivating his huge quality squad - to win matches 

No more excuses from Farke ...

16 minutes ago, Doomcaster said:

McClean is in very poor form &/or attitude  (perhaps he wanted a big transfer to a bigger Club????? bless him)

Funny way to go about it by signing a new long term contract at the club...

On 04/10/2020 at 07:51, seanthecanary said:

Call me old fashioned but unless you are talking about a few exceptional talents, playing people in their most natural position generally sees better results than when you play them elsewhere.  When Jordan Henderson first went to Liverpool, he often played wide at first and Liverpool fans thought they had signed a dud.  Funnily enough, playing him where he should be has yielded much better results.  It's not really rocket science. In Rupp's case, he is centre midfield player so play him there.  There is no point trying to be clever all the time and attempting to "convert" players into something they are not.  Square pegs in square holes please, we are not that good to do otherwise.

Talking of round pegs in square holes. Steiperman was a clear example of that in his early days at City. Farke played him at left back and he was pretty dire but he showed glimpses of quality on the ball that made him a good candidate for a midfield role which is where he ended up.Unfortunitely his lack of pace is his problem.

On 04/10/2020 at 09:57, hogesar said:

On the flip side I've defended Rupp since he joined yet for those who have thought he offered absolutely nothing, its equally a bit soon for them to be suddenly flip flopping in the other direction!

I said from his first game for us that he obviously has a good engine, a good understanding positionally, tackles well and could pass. Certainly at this level I think he is an asset.

Absolutely. Rupp's a classic example of a midfielder who's good on the intangibles - excellent work rate, good positional sense out of possession, doesn't lose his head and keeps ploughing on. He hadn't played in ages due to a bad injury, bought in the January window and put straight into a struggling side - it rarely works out well. His defensive nous and years of Bundesliga experience will also make him very useful for bringing youngsters along off the pitch as well.

I probably have said here, and certainly have said on the FB page that I think Rupp could do a Vrancic / Stiepermann in that they were poor to start with, then have a spell where they're difficult to replace in the team. I think we're seeing an upturn simply as he's now beginning to find his feet.

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Absolutely. Rupp's a classic example of a midfielder who's good on the intangibles - excellent work rate, good positional sense out of possession, doesn't lose his head and keeps ploughing on. He hadn't played in ages due to a bad injury, bought in the January window and put straight into a struggling side - it rarely works out well. His defensive nous and years of Bundesliga experience will also make him very useful for bringing youngsters along off the pitch as well.

I probably have said here, and certainly have said on the FB page that I think Rupp could do a Vrancic / Stiepermann in that they were poor to start with, then have a spell where they're difficult to replace in the team. I think we're seeing an upturn simply as he's now beginning to find his feet.

Yeah agree with all of the above and as you insinuate I think that was pretty clear even when he signed. But like you say the nature of when he was brought in, and the style of player he is, it was never going to be easy.

It's also a transition into English football, whilst moving country and settling etc too. I said last season that I thought he'd play regularly this season and if he plays like he did against Derby that will probably turn out to be true. We just have to make sure the 4 in front are firing if thats going to be our midfield pairing in general though.