Sign in to follow this  
rieg77

Just what the @$!* is going on

I know theres effectively another 29.5 hours left in this transfer window and I should really have waited until Wednesday to post this....but how depressing is the news at the moment.

Earnshaw is definitely staying....theres little chance Halford will give up his chance of playing at Stamford Bridge to come to us....Jerome is still on holiday....if Davenport is coming then it''ll only be on loan.....and worst of all our replacement for Ashton looks like being Johansson from Charlton.

I just can''t believe it.  We''ve got the best part of 5 -5.5 million quid to spend on building this team and all we can come up with is Jonathon Johansson.

If we had any ambition we would be spending £3 million to get a quality striker in...not some ''never-was'' from the premiership - I cannot believe that he is the only option we have.  We should not be wasting any portion of our precious millions on this player!!

From the outside it looks like we''ve focussed on 2 or 3 players and now those have all collapsed we''re stumped - we haven''t got a clue.

I''m praying that someone has somthing positive to contribute but I have resigned myself to a Tuesday full of inactivity followed by a few last minute deals for has-beens and never-will-be''s alike, a right gubbing tomorrow night and serious depression until the summer.

God help us on Sunday as well

What is everybody''s problem with Johansson?? He played really well when we lost to Charlton last year and will add to our squad. OK in a ideal world he wouldn''t be the first player I''d bring in but sadly it is anything but an ideal world at our club at the moment. He is big, strong and quick and I think he would make a good partner for McVeigh. A lot of people seem to be slating him without knowing that much about him. He''s clearly a much better bet than Lisbie. Give the lad a chance if he signs. If we get on his back from the start then he really does have no chance! It won''t be his fault if Worthy signs him!

totally agree with alex hj why dont we just wait and see if johansson (a) comes to play for us

(b) plays a few games before slaggin the bloke off and if he does come lets give him a chance.

I think part of the problem is the fans desperately need a big name signing to lift our spirits. It has been a wretched season with very few highlights. We were the title favourites at the start of the season. But the whole season has just fallen apart, from a combination of poor signings, injuries, and what can only be described as shocking team spirit at times (far to many away no shows).

Johannsson is not a bad player, he is almost certainly better than we what we already have here. He will be cheap. And will do a job for a couple of seasons. But there''s no escaping the fact a big name signing would have more of an impact on fan morale.

Personally, if it is true the players we''re trying to get are either over priced or simply won''t move at this point in time, then we should target 5 or 6 players and work damn hard to make sure we get them for the start of next season to make us a genuine force, and to build the team up again. We also need to try and ship out the dead wood which seems to have built up to shocking proportions. Give some of our Academy players a chance to shine between now and the end of the season. Tell the first team players they''re all playing for their futures, and see how they all react. The one''s who bust a gut we keep and add too, the one''s who don''t can be shown the door (like Jim Brennen). This season can never be said to be written off though. There''s always something to play for, and this season if it''s not the playoffs, it''s the player''s futures, because I gave up beleiveing some of them had any pride after the shocking no shows away from home at Derby, Wolves, QPR, Watford (first half) this season. Thankfully one of the guilty party has been shipped out. George Burley will soon realise what a waste of space he''s picked up.

Check his record - generally plays well for part of a season then tails off, ratio of around 1 goal in five games. Not particularly exciting.

Rieg, it''s not as simple as buying a £3m striker.  The problem is, does any £3m striker want to join a mid championship with very little chance of making the play offs?  In simple terms, do you think Ashton would have joined Leeds in the last transfer window?

I have no problem with Johansson but I want to sign us sign someone not loan someone.  I would rather play one of the strikers already at the club than a loanee.

I don''t klnow if you''ve heard, but we sold our top striker......and now we''re loaning in someone who has scored 33 goals in 167 appearances. Thats a shocking record for any striker in the premier league and certainly nowhere near good enough for someone leading our front line.

I agree we need to sign someone instead of loan them. Rumours of Andy Gray were abundant earlier - he scored 16 last season for Sheff Utd - thats a hell of a lot better than Johansson and would at least show some ambition.

Others are speculating its because we''ve splashed the cash on Davenport, but if we can''t score at the other end then it means the best we can hope for is a 0-0 each match.