Sign in to follow this  
Balham Yellow

How far have we progressed in five years under Worthington?

We''re still looking nervously over our shoulders at the bottom 3, we''re more in debt, we''re selling our best players, we have squad full of dead wood and free''s and there is massive discontent amongst fans in relation to the management and board.

Progressed?  Don''t make me laugh

In my opinion, by the end of the season we will be back to where we started with worthington. A bottom half championsip club, with no decent youth given a chance, with no decent assets.

SACK HIM NOW

Not at all - we''ve gone full circle! We had a period of stability at the start of his reign. Then real progress which led to the glorious high point of promotion to the Premiership - then back down to earth with a bump with the bitter disappointment of relegation. We''re now back where we started when he took charge - and the sit u ashun could still get worse . Back to square one. No progress under Nigel

We began as a team that were not playing as a team, relied on the long ball game, had little quality and were going down fast.

Now we are ............................... exactly the same.

Thats completley harsh and unfair. Even though the clubs current predicament is unacceptable, the fact that it is unacceptable highlights how far we have come as a club.

When Worthy took over we were looking to avoid relegation to Div 2 ffs, and were getting  16-18thousand fans per home game. Now, 5 years on, our aspirations are to be a team challenging for a place in the Prem and stay there, spend over a million on one player (wasn''t so long ago that spending those sort of figures on one player was a pipe dream) and nearly every home game is a sell out, with a waiting list of 2thousand, if that isn''t progress then i don''t no what is.

No doubt this will be misconstrued and i will be accused of being a "Worthy lover" (the clubs current situation is hurting me as much as the next fan, and it is not good enough) but for someone to suggest that we havn''t progressed at all under Worthington is total BS, and is a very short sighted, and naive opinion

OLD TOPIC!!

Let me give you a brief summary - for a large number of the regular posters on this board, like you they feel we have not progressed far enough or worse still not at all or even backwards.

For others we have progressed some way, on and off the pitch, given the state of the club when NW took over. The fact that we reached a pinnacle in getting to the premiership, then fell back from that, has given the impression to many that we have gone further backwards than we actually have. How accurate that impression is is the nub of the arguement.

What is not in doubt, is that we are at a point now where we will either bounce back from the disappointment and hangover of relegation, or become entrenched once again in the mid table mediocrity we endured in the last half of the nineties.

Well that''s a bit stupid isn''t it. We''ve been play-offs and champions after 9 years of struggle. Unfotunately it''s all gone downhill since then

anover fikal fan blame it on the manager you never

stop and think when he took over we were 18th odd

in the trable 1 year after he takes us to the play off final

then gets us promoted rethink mate worthy isnt the

problem

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

We''re still looking nervously over our shoulders at the bottom 3, we''re more in debt, we''re selling our best players, we have squad full of dead wood and free''s and there is massive discontent amongst fans in relation to the management and board.

[/quote]

Any real evidence of this ''massive discontent''?

We''re not where we started - we may have bigger debts (don''t know the numbers), but we have more and bigger income streams to support it. We have some better players on the books, and we have a better stadium and training ground.

BUT - our squad has got more and more threadbare, and there''s seemingly been no forward planning. It happened in the promotion season, and the beginning of this season, and it''s seemingly just happened again.I know it''s difficult, with the Ashton deal being agreed late in the window, but we have to plan for these eventualities - it was always likely to be that way. And the main reason we are where we are now is because we began the season unready in terms of squad size and preparation, and hence we couldn''t cope with all the injuries.

[quote user="A load of squit"][quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are you serious?  Do you come on here everyday!?  This aint a club with happy contented fans!  It''s not just various message boards either.  It''s all round the club, it''s all round the city.  People you talk to on match days, the atmosphere at the ground.  We are bloody miserable!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Squit, I think I speak for many when I ask you politely:

"Please shut up."

Your snide comments and constant questioning reduce a sensible argumentative thread down to the levels of schoolboy sniping, and they have no place here.

At the weekend I got thinking about Darel Russell, and how Worthington shipped him out about 3 or 4 seasons ago - correctly in my opinion, as he was never going to be good enough to get us promoted. He was after all, a solid Championship standard midfielder, and thus if we persisted with him, we''d end up being a solid Championship side. Worthington then went out and got in Francis. An absolute masterstroke signing - and for only £260,000. He had improved the team, which allowed us to kick on to the next level, which was achieved when he got Huckerby in and McKenzie and Svennson.

The problem is that, in the summer, rather than bringing in players as good as the one''s who left (like Francis), Worthington brought in players of the same calibre as Darel Russell. What was the outcome? We''ve turned into a solid Championship team again. So in a sense, we''ve almost gone full circle. But not totally. We''re not as bad as we were when he took over, plus we''ve got a shed load more money to buy the quality we need to turn us into a genuine force again in this division. But to achieve that, Worthington needs to sit down and plan who he sees as long term players in our future and who isn''t. And then target the quality, but affordable players who will turn us into a force again.

And for those of you out there who doubt that we plan ahead. I got assurances from the Chief Executive himself when I questioned the club on this point last week (because like you OldBoy I doubted the club''s long term planning), and apparently they do plan ahead, and plan for contingincies. So if we win promotion, we allegedly have already targeted the players we want. Lets hope we''ve got 6 players we''ve got our eye on at the moment who we can get in the summer for £5 million combined. Then I think we will start moving in the right direction.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Squit you must be a binner having a laugh!

We have progressed in that we are able to attract many more fans to home games than we could five years ago. We also have a bigger capacity. And, if you believe the spin from the board, although the debts are bigger we are more financially sound than we were back then.

Teamwise, our current squad is only marginally better than that when Worthington took over. Given the amount of money that has been spent this is simply not good enough. What makes it worse is that being in the Premiership has raised all our expectations. Whereas we would have accepted average players from rival Championship teams back then and hoped that the move breathed life into them, now, as pre-season promotion favourites, we should be pinching their best players.

The style of football played has, IMO, not improved one iota under Worthington. Even in our promotion winning season we frequently relied on Hucks to create a goal and the defence for the rest of the game.

The really worrying thing is that the current regressive trend shows no sign of ending. At the time of writing we have no major assets on the playing side. The squad is gradually decreasing in quality and we are finding it increasingly difficult to attract decent players to the club. Attendances will dwindle as supporters become increasingly disillusioned with the lack of performance on the pitch.

Yes, we have made progress over the past five years. However, unless changes take place soon, this progress will be competely undone.

In terms of development of the non-playing areas of the club it has been a revelation.

In term of the playing strength, pool and development I feel very concerned.

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

[/quote]

We''re still looking nervously over our shoulders at the bottom 3

That''s a bit of an over dramatic view DDIM.  We are 13 points from relegation and 11 from the play offs, so technically we are more looking towards the Premiership than league one.

we''re selling our best players

We are Norwich City, that''s what we do.  The only reason we have not done so in recent years is because we havn''t had any players that were good enough.

I am quite happy to agree that Worthington should go but let''s give the man some credit for what he has done.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="A load of squit"][quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Squit, I think I speak for many when I ask you politely:

"Please shut up."

Your snide comments and constant questioning reduce a sensible argumentative thread down to the levels of schoolboy sniping, and they have no place here.

[/quote]

I think its a perfectly sensible question, just becauase the same few names post the same message over and over again it does not make you the majority. I don''t believe you can have a ''sensible argumentative thread'' if you are relying on unsubstantiated statements. Is the real reason you want me to shut up because you don''t like being reminded of this?