Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Canary Wundaboy

Drop Pukki, start Hugill

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Emi needs to go to school

max Aaron’s needs to be chained to a radiator to make sure he doesn’t go anywhere

quintilla needs to start polishing the POTS trophy

Yarp

Quintilla's deliveries are noice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry guys, but I really do not understand what warped logic is being applied here.

We got promoted playing a style of football that worked extremely well with the players we had and suited their strengths, this style of play then continued for a short while in the PL and then got changed and has since gone further and further away from what we excelled at to the point where we've got fans suggesting we drop our previous 30 goal striker in order to lump high crosses and long balls to Hugill or Idah because that's how we've setup this season - JUST WTF IS GOING ON???

For those with a short memory, take a look at this video:

Look at the goals Pukki scores, and what sort of balls we were playing to make that happen, it wasn't high crosses or asking him to play as a target man ffs!

Look at the number of excellent balls through to him from the likes of Buendia, Cantwell and Vrancic, look at the work on the wing by Hernandez who then plays low balls across for him to finish, look at what both Lewis and Aarons were doing in attacking positions - playing the ball across at a height (or even ground level) that suited Pukki.

Apart from Lewis, we still have ALL those players, so why the hell have we changed our style of play so completely, and gone with double defensive mids, high crosses from wingers, and giving our top striker virtually NO through balls or balls across for him to work with? We are NOT in the PL, we're back in the champs, so why we've chosen to play so differently to what was successful for us last time around is beyond me.

THE PROBLEM IS NOT PUKKI FFS!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Sorry guys, but I really do not understand what warped logic is being applied here.

We got promoted playing a style of football that worked extremely well with the players we had and suited their strengths, this style of play then continued for a short while in the PL and then got changed and has since gone further and further away from what we excelled at to the point where we've got fans suggesting we drop our previous 30 goal striker in order to lump high crosses and long balls to Hugill or Idah because that's how we've setup this season - JUST WTF IS GOING ON???

For those with a short memory, take a look at this video:

Look at the goals Pukki scores, and what sort of balls we were playing to make that happen, it wasn't high crosses or asking him to play as a target man ffs!

Look at the number of excellent balls through to him from the likes of Buendia, Cantwell and Vrancic, look at the work on the wing by Hernandez who then plays low balls across for him to finish, look at what both Lewis and Aarons were doing in attacking positions - playing the ball across at a height (or even ground level) that suited Pukki.

Apart from Lewis, we still have ALL those players, so why the hell have we changed our style of play so completely, and gone with double defensive mids, high crosses from wingers, and giving our top striker virtually NO through balls or balls across for him to work with? We are NOT in the PL, we're back in the champs, so why we've chosen to play so differently to what was successful for us last time around is beyond me.

THE PROBLEM IS NOT PUKKI FFS!

Nobody is undroppable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Sorry guys, but I really do not understand what warped logic is being applied here.

We got promoted playing a style of football that worked extremely well with the players we had and suited their strengths, this style of play then continued for a short while in the PL and then got changed and has since gone further and further away from what we excelled at to the point where we've got fans suggesting we drop our previous 30 goal striker in order to lump high crosses and long balls to Hugill or Idah because that's how we've setup this season - JUST WTF IS GOING ON???

For those with a short memory, take a look at this video:

Look at the goals Pukki scores, and what sort of balls we were playing to make that happen, it wasn't high crosses or asking him to play as a target man ffs!

Look at the number of excellent balls through to him from the likes of Buendia, Cantwell and Vrancic, look at the work on the wing by Hernandez who then plays low balls across for him to finish, look at what both Lewis and Aarons were doing in attacking positions - playing the ball across at a height (or even ground level) that suited Pukki.

Apart from Lewis, we still have ALL those players, so why the hell have we changed our style of play so completely, and gone with double defensive mids, high crosses from wingers, and giving our top striker virtually NO through balls or balls across for him to work with? We are NOT in the PL, we're back in the champs, so why we've chosen to play so differently to what was successful for us last time around is beyond me.

THE PROBLEM IS NOT PUKKI FFS!

The problem is teams have sussed that. That’s why teams are setting up with 3 tight defenders and crowding us out, because they KNOW we’re going to play it through the middle. So Farke has done half a job of switching it up, kept a solid core of ball players but added crossing options in Aaron’s and Quintilla, but that approach does NOT suit Pukki. We have to pick one or the other, at the moment we’re trying the hybrid approach and it’s getting us nowhere. If we’re going to go out wide, stretch the opposition and cross the ball then play Hugill. If we are going to try to play “Farkeball” on the deck, play Vrancic and Buendia and stop wasting the ball by lobbing it high into the box where we’re never going to win a header in 90 mins with Pukki on his own!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yep we're slinging crosses in the box to the 'Ghost of Grant Holt', whilst the alive and kicking one sits on the bench.

1) He's no Grant Holt

2) We have a 30 goal striker crying out for decent supply, and instead you want to replace him, rather than changing back to how we played last time he scored that many?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

1) He's no Grant Holt

2) We have a 30 goal striker crying out for decent supply, and instead you want to replace him, rather than changing back to how we played last time he scored that many?

Not bothered how we play, or who scores, as long as we score.

I assume the idea with today's selection was for Stieps and Emi to supply Pukki. Unfortunately Stieps was knackered after 20 mins and Derby easily did a number on Emi. Before that Stieps passed to Quintilla more than anyone else. So the end result Quintilla (and Max) flinging in crosses to Mr Nobody. 

I don't think we're good enough to break teams down anymore so we need to mix it up and that means Hugill in the middle.

If Emi leaves or is dropped then Pukki might be better suited to the no. 10 role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WD40 said:

Agreed. We don’t play to Pukki’s strengths so why bother. He is so utterly devoid of confidence. I had a bad feeling about missing the pen and he didn’t let me down. 

Same here WD. Right before he took it, I said to the fruit of my loins, "Two years ago, back of the net, no worries; right now, not so sure." And then comes the embarrassing slip. I think it still clipped the top of the crossbar?

I thought Vrancic might have got the nod today, with Marco in reserve. Skipp looks tidy sitting deep. Rupp is performing reasonably well alongside him, and while he certainly doesn't deserve the stick he gets on here, is he the sort of central midfielder to drive a promotion push? It's a shame Leitner is frozen out. Although in fairness, we certainly controlled the central areas today. I must have been in a prescient mood today because right before Knight's run through the middle & Rupp's cynical foul, I remarked to the young lad beside me that with Pukki, Idah & Hugill up top, we were liable to leave the door open through the middle and suffer one of those frustrating 0-1 robberies. 

Pukki is still earmarked for special attention by the opposition, so their is an argument for starting both him & Hugill at the moment. We need Buendia on the pitch, so one of Onel or Stiepermann from today's team could make way. I think we need one winger to start each day, be it Placheta or Onel. 

The two positions with question marks currently (for me) are both central: deep CM alongside Skipp and CAM/no.10. Rupp probably has the CM jersey at the moment, with potential options of McLean, Tettey, Sorensen, possibly Vrancic against a team playing deep (like today) or the hugely unlikely Leitner. If Buendia & Placheta/Onel are out wide, (discounting Cantwell & Dowell) that leaves one from Vrancic, Marco, McLean or Josh Martin in the current set-up/formation for CAM. Might well be worth trying the Goat there to feed off Hugill. Idah gives a different possibility too. Could Buendia be played more centrally? 3 at the back I feel could be experimented with too, particularly if facing the likes of Derby today, & it might help to counteract the troublesome no. 10 position while allowing both Pukki & Hugill to start. 

Lots to ponder after today. We're not that far away. Farke is still trying to rebuild again & get the balance right after the post-lockdown shambles, while bedding in new players & dealing with transfer-related noise. Let's see the lie of the land when the window is closed & after the tricky 7 games in 22 days period coming up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We simply revert to what worked before and could easily work again with some minor personnel changes:

Krul

Aarons, Zimm, Gibson, Xavi

Skipp, Vrancic

Buendia, Stiepermann, Argos

Pukki

We ask Aarons and Xavi to play low quick balls across the box or link with our front 4 and don't look for high crosses into the area, we look for the creativity and through balls of Vrancic in the middle, Buendia, Stieps and Argos to play 1-2's and similar with Pukki or little flicks on for him, and we're back to how we setup 2 years ago sans Lewis and Godfrey having been replaced with Xavi and Gibson.

Should Cantwell actually stay, then he can also be used instead of Argos (or possibly Stieps), leaving us the option of either Argos/Placheta as an impact sub against tiring legs, but again with the remit to play low balls and 1-2's rather than crossing for a target man who isn't there.

This isn't rocket science, and I don't know why we've spend the past 12 months destroying the approach that worked so well for us, in exchange for this current hybrid drivel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Emi needs to go to school

max Aaron’s needs to be chained to a radiator to make sure he doesn’t go anywhere

quintilla needs to start polishing the POTS trophy

Very early days, but I had that thought during the match earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

We simply revert to what worked before and could easily work again with some minor personnel changes:

Krul

Aarons, Zimm, Gibson, Xavi

Skipp, Vrancic

Buendia, Stiepermann, Argos

Pukki

We ask Aarons and Xavi to play low quick balls across the box or link with our front 4 and don't look for high crosses into the area, we look for the creativity and through balls of Vrancic in the middle, Buendia, Stieps and Argos to play 1-2's and similar with Pukki or little flicks on for him, and we're back to how we setup 2 years ago sans Lewis and Godfrey having been replaced with Xavi and Gibson.

Should Cantwell actually stay, then he can also be used instead of Argos (or possibly Stieps), leaving us the option of either Argos/Placheta as an impact sub against tiring legs, but again with the remit to play low balls and 1-2's rather than crossing for a target man who isn't there.

This isn't rocket science, and I don't know why we've spend the past 12 months destroying the approach that worked so well for us, in exchange for this current hybrid drivel.

I do get what you're saying but at what point do you stop with something that's lost it's effectiveness? Mourinho's style was once highly effective but now isn't.

Have we changed how we play by design or have teams just worked out how to play against us? May be a little bit of both. I totally agree we have to make the type of chances Pukki likes if we are to play him. At the same time though, the way you are advocating playing requires supreme belief that what you are doing will eventually pay off ala Pep's Barca and the great Spain side. The players simply do not have the belief at present after 1 win in 14 league games and 6 goals scored. I mean, I don't know what the answer is, you either stick to your guns or change it up a bit. 

Edited by seanthecanary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Very early days, but I had that thought during the match earlier.

Nice to have some decent delivery, just need to capitalise on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moments after Hugell came on, he got on the end of a cross and forced a great save out of Marshall. He needs to start ahead of Pukki next game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

We simply revert to what worked before and could easily work again with some minor personnel changes:

Krul

Aarons, Zimm, Gibson, Xavi

Skipp, Vrancic

Buendia, Stiepermann, Argos

Pukki

Nothing wrong with that line up but as others have said I think this could also work with Pukki deeper in the Stiepermann role and Hugill up front. That would give us an option for a target man with Pukki making runs in behind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the international fixtures it seems that Finland have three matches (Poland(A), Bulgaria(H) & ROI(H)). Pukki could be involved in all three.

When we start again after the international break we have 2 games in four days.

This looks like a perfect opportunity to start Hugill and let Pukki have a rest.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...