Sign in to follow this  
Canary Wundaboy

Drop Pukki, start Hugill

Please. We are breaking with pace and crossing the ball high, totally against the strengths of Pukki. He needs a break, looks bereft of confidence in front of goal, and Hugill has been lively. We need to turn this possession into goals.

• Like 1

Agreed. We don’t play to Pukki’s strengths so why bother. He is so utterly devoid of confidence. I had a bad feeling about missing the pen and he didn’t let me down. 

Absolutely. 

Pukki is a busted flush. 

Hugill has to start. 

We had total Farkeball today apart from a willing striker with a cutting edge. 

Yep. We've gone above and beyond trying to play Pukki back into his rhythm but he is still completely shot of confidence. Always on his heels when a ball is played into him, panicking and making the wrong decisions and fluffing infront of goal. Instead of being played through this patch I think he needs to be rested and taken out of the action for a while. 

With how we played today we might have won with Hugill upfront given how often we crossed the ball in. It's time for Farke to make a big call and freshen things up because it's not working with Pukki. 

• Like 1

It's been an odd start to the season for Pukki, but the above comments are ridiculous. Please don't be fickle. 

We have suddenly decided that crossing the ball to him is a good idea.

We have faced two teams who have parked the bus and played five at the back. That's not easy as a lone striker.

He slipped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem isn't Pukki, the problem is the supply (or lack of it) that he's getting, and in a way that suits him.

It's RvW all over again, proven goalscorer when given the right kind of supply, we don't provide it and then turn on said goalscorer as if it's their fault.

I have ZERO idea why we are not looking to play through balls or low crosses for him to work with, but let's not blame the guy who scored 30 the season we went up, added another 11 in the PL, and is now being scapegoated for the shambles that's happening behind him!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

We have faced two teams who have parked the bus and played five at the back. That's not easy as a lone striker.

And that's what almost every team will do this season because none of them bar perhaps Brentford have full backs quick enough to cope with allowing Hernandez or Placheta to get in behind, which means Pukki won't be able to play his natural game of trying to beat an offside trap.

What you have witnessed will be the norm, this is what we have to adapt to. 

1 minute ago, Indy_Bones said:

The problem isn't Pukki, the problem is the supply (or lack of it) that he's getting, and in a way that suits him.

It's RvW all over again, proven goalscorer when given the right kind of supply, we don't provide it and then turn on said goalscorer as if it's their fault.

I have ZERO idea why we are not looking to play through balls or low crosses for him to work with, but let's not blame the guy who scored 30 the season we went up, added another 11 in the PL, and is now being scapegoated for the shambles that's happening behind him!

Farke has changed our style of play now and we are putting more crosses in the box through Xavi and Max. Pukki is useless in the air and those through balls aren't there now. 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I consider it to be worth a try. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he scored more goals as a result.

Early on 2 seasons ago I'm sure I remember Pukki and Rhodes starting.

Pukki was scoring then too

Edited by nutty nigel

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Early on 2 seasons ago I'm sure I remember Pukki and Rhodes starting.

Pukki was scoring then too

Yes, Pukki played wide right and scored, and behind the striker and scored 2 in one game.

At Celtic he played out wide.

He'd make a decent number 10 as he can score from the edge of the 18 yard box. Can see the knock downs from Hugill to Pukki on the volley now.

We have to find a way to capitalise on Xavi's crossing and to give Pukki more chances.

Some sort of front 2 with Pukki sitting deeper makes sense. 

• Like 4

We only got promoted because Pukki out scored our poor defence. Pukki is a shadow of that player and there is no room for sentiment now. We were able to play to Pukki's strengths 2 years ago, we have shifted tactic to get the ball in the box from the flanks so we need Hugill in there. Love you Pukki but you don't fit this way of playing

• Like 1

Or, heaven forbid, spend £15m on a genuinely dangerous striker who will cause Championship defences problems?

13 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Or, heaven forbid, spend £15m on a genuinely dangerous striker who will cause Championship defences problems?

Who do you have in mind? 

The top two scorers last season already in Prem, the third highest is Grabban who is 32 now! 

4th is Karlan Grant, who is great but expected to move to West Brom.

Benrahma is expected to move to Palace.

Then we're sort of running out players who fit that description. 

Cauley Woodrow at Barnsley is good, but then Hugill is probably pretty good if we actually play him! 

Dwight Gayle on loan perhaps, but surely West Brom would want him if he was available? 

Is striker the area where we have the biggest weakness? What about a quality playmaker who can start every week (so basically a younger and fresher Vrancic?). 

We've got no left back cover, our right back cover is injured, we're still a winger short and may need to replace one or two.

We could really do with getting our current strikers scoring and investing in other areas of the pitch.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

If you are not going to play to Pukki's strengths then you are not going to much out of him. Not knocking Pukki, he's been brilliant for us. It horses for courses though. If a lot of the attacking play is now going to come from wide areas/high crosses then you can't play Pukki up front on his own. You either play him with Hugill or get more creative in the middle. Webber was asked about Pukki on BT sport before the game against Chelsea last year and he said they identified that he scored the type of goals that our team creates. We are not creating those type of chances right now. You can't ask him to grow half a foot, you need to find a way to get the best out of him because you know he's capable.

Edited by seanthecanary

7 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Pukki needs to be dropped

idah needs to go wide

Yarp

Just now, The Real Buh said:

Cantwell needs to go somewhere else

Yarp and Emi needs to keep his f-ing toy in the pram 

Just now, NFN FC said:

Yarp and Emi needs to keep his f-ing toy in the pram 

Emi needs to go to school

max Aaron’s needs to be chained to a radiator to make sure he doesn’t go anywhere

quintilla needs to start polishing the POTS trophy