kick it off

Official match thread - Derby

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Played well today.

The stupid BS above this post is just that, BS.

Outplayed Derby start to finish.

Emi a bit rusty coming in. But no way do we deserve to lose this.

Sorry hoggie, “playing well” is not “have lots of possession and lose anyway”. We failed to create a clear cut chance in open play until Vrancic came on and despite playing an entire game putting crosses in the box Hugill only got 5 mins to make an impact. 

That’s 1 win in 15 games. Something has gone very wrong.

I dont see how this gets better without;

Change of manager

Serious re-investment

We all know neither of them will happen.

We cant plod along doing the same as we have been, since January with a vastly weakened sqaud expecting something to miraculously change.

Were so ****ing naive at all levels.

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Played well today.

Epic trolling this...

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Played well today.

I think you'll be in a small minority hogesar if you think we played well.

We didn't create enough clear cut chances against a very poor team.

Buendia is looking more and more of a liability too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Played well today.

Derby tactically out thought us today, Farke had no answers to their defense, and we get caught out with a sucker punch. Happens too often, results are all that matters and for the past 18 games we've won 1 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Played well today.

Not sure I agree Hoggy.

We had a lot of the ball - that's not the same as outplaying a team, especially when they were set up to play on the counter.

We only had two really good chances all game - same as Derby.

It's still early in the season though. Plenty of time to improve.

OTBC

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Played well today.

How many points do we get for that?

So bored of this nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I’ve got a bad feeling about this season now. On the plus side Buendia’s not going to have clubs lining up to take him on this display.

On today's performance I'm not sure we'd want him.

Hugill did more in the 10 seconds he came on than Pukki the entire match.

Farke to blame for that. Poor substitutions, too late.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Played well today.

An unfortunate penalty miss and two brilliant saves stopped it from being 3-0.   The ref gave us nothing and seemed to blow up anytime we went near them.   Pukki can do nothing without service so we can’t blame him but there is no point in crosses without Hugill.    
Just not our day... very frustrating being a City fan at the minute but what a load of hysterical bed-wetters we have on here!   

• Like 1

The conditions were horrific though, so many moves broke down because players lost their footing and it was very hard to play pass and move football on that pitch.

Derby continuing the game plan that teams had against us at the end of our Championship winning season: don't give any space to play in the final third, play for counter attacks, set pieces and long shots. We really struggle as a team when the opposition don't give us space to play in.

It’s going to get worse before it gets better. More departures before the window closes but at least there’s money in the bank and the happy clappers remain united. 

Not that this would have changed today's outcome or the previous few matches, but can someone explain how Tettey can play nearly every game in the Premier League, but can't see the field in the Championship?

I understand one can say that Vrancic and Steiperman didn't see game time in the Premier League last season because they weren't good enough. Now we're down a league and they're in the mix. That makes sense. But Tettey, an absolute steward for the club and a leader on the pitch, is no where to be seen and perhaps he can right this mess and give some veteran guidance. Do I actually think a 53 year old Tettey is the answer? No, but it makes zero sense to me. Our other options are no more must-start than he is. Clutching at straws I know, but I rather see his smiling face on the pitch than the disinterested **** that we've seen so far.

Our game relies on, quick, slide rule passes & players knowing exactly where each other are. If that is missing it's rubbish.

2 minutes ago, rock bus said:

To be fair if the penalty had been scored im sure we’d have won comfortably 

Two excellent saves by Marshall  too. So easily could have had the 3 pts. C'est la vie C'est Football. 

3 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

An unfortunate penalty miss and two brilliant saves stopped it from being 3-0.   The ref gave us nothing and seemed to blow up anytime we went near them.   Pukki can do nothing without service so we can’t blame him but there is no point in crosses without Hugill.    
Just not our day... very frustrating being a City fan at the minute but what a load of hysterical bed-wetters we have on here!   

Well as the opposition actually scored then surely you mean 3-1...

Given we were one down when the keeper made a fantastic save, are you cancelling their goal?

Is this what its come to, been happy that weve made the keep make two saves? 

Edited by CDMullins

Defensively more solid today. Good debut from Gibson. We needed to stop shipping goals.

This problem had overshadowed the real issue we have now which is up front.

Too much trying to walk it in and reliance on some magic from Emi/Pukki.

Farke needs to be brave and change it up as far as strikers are concerned.

Today we slung several crosses into the box but Idah and Hugill weren't on the pitch or given the last knockings with which to do something.

Derby were always going to park the bus and seeing Davies added to the team was a clear sign we needed muscle and presence.

Onwards and upwards though - unless Farke is too stubborn or proud to make those changes.

We did not play well today. Created absolutely **** all. 

Easy for Derby and a smash and grab was always on the cards the longer the game went on.

13 minutes ago, Adelaide Canary said:

The problem is that the current board are quite happy with mediocrity, and the current management too spineless to do anything about it 

100% this. 

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Played well today.

I find it rather ridiculous but unsurprising that so many can't look back two years to where Norwich were five matches and seventy minutes into the 2018-19 season. Farke was under far more pressure then than he is today. There is no better man to have at the helm right now than Daniel Farke. As you say a little bit rusty but reasons for optimism.

• Like 2

i think you conveniently forgot Rooney's brilliant free kick.

We need to do a lot better than this

5 minutes ago, BaltimoreBird said:

Not that this would have changed today's outcome or the previous few matches, but can someone explain how Tettey can play nearly every game in the Premier League, but can't see the field in the Championship?

I understand one can say that Vrancic and Steiperman didn't see game time in the Premier League last season because they weren't good enough. Now we're down a league and they're in the mix. That makes sense. But Tettey, an absolute steward for the club and a leader on the pitch, is no where to be seen and perhaps he can right this mess and give some veteran guidance. Do I actually think a 53 year old Tettey is the answer? No, but it makes zero sense to me. Our other options are no more must-start than he is. Clutching at straws I know, but I rather see his smiling face on the pitch than the disinterested **** that we've seen so far.

Because Skipp. 

Well that’s the sustainable club model for you. As players develop those that have star potential are sold and the squad takes a step back until the next lot of youngsters come through. The consequence is a lurch forward followed by a shuddering brake. If the conveyer belt continues to produce the club will be financially sound. If it doesn’t the financial picture is likely to worsen quickly.

The good news is that averaging a point a game should be enough to keep us up.

Edited by Crafty Canary

5 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

The conditions were horrific though, so many moves broke down because players lost their footing and it was very hard to play pass and move football on that pitch.

Derby continuing the game plan that teams had against us at the end of our Championship winning season: don't give any space to play in the final third, play for counter attacks, set pieces and long shots. We really struggle as a team when the opposition don't give us space to play in.

It's well played Derby then.

They had to cope with the same conditions

Just now, ......and Smith must score. said:

It's well played Derby then.

They had to cope with the same conditions

Helps if you don't try to play football, park the bus and hoof the ball in the air towards Skipp, Rupp and Aarons. You wouldn't know that Cocu played 200+ games for Barcelona on that tactical showing.

2 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Well as the opposition actually scored then surely you mean 3-1...

No...... we would have been 3-0 up by then and by scoring, the ball would have been somewhere else’s round the pitch, so they might, but probably wouldn’t have scored at all..... you may need some time to work that out but trust me!!!!!