Samwam27

Do we need a Godfrey replacement

Simple question,simple answer. YES. I am not at all confident that any of our present CB's will remain injury free this season. Anybody who thinks different is delusional. Why on earth would any supporter accept less than the ultimate than we we can achieve this season.PLEASE stop accepting what we are expected to accept.

2 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

I think his replacement is already here in Gibson given that Godfrey often played left side.  The question really is can we keep any of the other 3 CBs fit long enough to form a decent partnership with him?  

Anyone expecting another  CB  puchase is likely to be disappointed.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I've forgotten what Hanley looks like.

Desperate Dan

1 hour ago, Jerrykerry said:

Ah that old chestnut. 

You're an expert in what a "defensive coach" is then, and are certain we don't have a good one? 

You tell me if our existing coaching arrangements have provided sufficient training for defending set pieces for example. 

3 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

At the start of the season I hoped we'd got Gibson to partner Godfrey, and thus "strengthen" our defence.

It was always likely he was brought in with one eye on Godfrey going.

Knowing we've had such a leaky defence for two seasons now, would you like us to get someone in/do you think we'll get someone in to partner Gibson or just stick with the injury prone Klose, Hanley & Zimm.

I know we also have Tettey and potentially Sorensen who "could" play there, but do you think Gibson will be good enough alone, and will our paper thin injury plagued trio be enough this season. Let's face it Amadou didn't work out, and there's nothing to say Gibson will step up, so I fear we're extremely light at the back and place huge amounts of hope we don't pick up injuries, which in a physical league seems unlikely.

Shame Famewo was loaned out, so have to assume he's behind these four. 

Gibson was bought in as Godfrey's replacement. 

I thought we all knew that, right? 

Right? 

Norwich fans never fail to amaze me. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You tell me if our existing coaching arrangements have provided sufficient training for defending set pieces for example. 

Not to put too fine a point on it we've got a team of titches (minus a couple) who are weak in the air. It's not the coaching it's the type of players we've brought. (and I would far sooner have Buendia who is non-existent in the air but brilliant on the ground than some meat head who was the opposite). 

1 hour ago, Don’t be Krul said:

I would think wages may be the only stumbling block. Chelsea want him out on loan to get some game time so might be worth a look?

He wouldn't come to a Championship side. He was apparently very close to joining Everton a few weeks ago, and there'd definitely be a Premier League team willing to use him as a starter.

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Not to put too fine a point on it we've got a team of titches (minus a couple) who are weak in the air. It's not the coaching it's the type of players we've brought. (and I would far sooner have Buendia who is non-existent in the air but brilliant on the ground than some meat head who was the opposite). 

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Yes, and apart from Hugill we haven't really added much muscle to the team. Was Sorensen taller and well built, but we've got a wait to see him.

Out of curiosity, what happened to Bennett. He was touted by Wolves. Did he move somewhere?

Many Premiership & EFL clubs will be desperate to offload players come the deadline. Tomoroi would be great. Perhaps Chelsea don't want him going to another Premiership? People always say wages, but don't the players have to agree personal terms? 

I don’t get this full expectation of Gibson! He’s not played in nearly two years, putting him into a defence not exactly solid to start off with and losing two of the better defenders isn’t going to go too well! 
We shall probably see tomorrow if he’s ready or not!

Watching Union Berlin v Mainz on tv now. Mainz have a CB playing called Jerry St Juste. Dutch U21 international, good on the ball, likes to play out from the back and is super quick. Ideal replacement for Godfrey alongside Gibson/Zimmerman.

I agree Indy. And my main worry, like Klose last season, is what if he takes a while to get his sharpness back. What is he doesn't get anywhere near to level he originally got to, and is pretty awful.

It's a huge risk saying Gibson is Godfrey's replacement with so little match games in two years. He could be great, but we could be royally stuffed also!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I agree Indy. And my main worry, like Klose last season, is what if he takes a while to get his sharpness back. What is he doesn't get anywhere near to level he originally got to, and is pretty awful.

It's a huge risk saying Gibson is Godfrey's replacement with so little match games in two years. He could be great, but we could be royally stuffed also!

I guess we'll begin to find out tomorrow. 

24 minutes ago, Indy said:

I don’t get this full expectation of Gibson! He’s not played in nearly two years, putting him into a defence not exactly solid to start off with and losing two of the better defenders isn’t going to go too well! 
We shall probably see tomorrow if he’s ready or not!

Exactly Indy to expect a player who has not been playing  for 2 years to just walk in and pick up where he left off is a big ask  

Gibson said he kept himself fit during the time his was Not playing but massive difference 

it would not Surprise me if he was a risk of injury due to the extra strain completive league football  

We have the Money why Not Buy a Player As a Replacement

Edited by norfolkngood

11 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Exactly Indy to expect a player who has not been playing  for 2 years to just walk in and pick up where he left off is a big ask  

Gibson said he kept himself fit during the time his was Not playing but massive difference 

it would not Surprise me if he was a risk of injury due to the extra strain completive league football  

We have the Money why Not Buy a Player As a Replacement

Trouble is who? It’s getting tight to sign a foreign player, domestic player command a high fee and I can’t think of anyone at lower level, Dickie was my choice from Oxford having seen him play a few times, but he’s gone to QPR.

I agree we need more but I suppose Sorensen can play there comfortably.

Edited by Indy

How many games has Sorensen played in defence?

We bought Amadou who could allegedly play in defence and that didn't work out. There's one thing being versatile. Another being good enough in your back up position

47 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Gibson was bought in as Godfrey's replacement. 

I thought we all knew that, right? 

Right? 

Norwich fans never fail to amaze me. 

They certainly don’t, keep the money hey and settle for a non event of a season. 

5 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

How many games has Sorensen played in defence?

We bought Amadou who could allegedly play in defence and that didn't work out. There's one thing being versatile. Another being good enough in your back up position

Wasn’t Godfrey a defensive midfielder? 😂

I don’t know but he was touted as being versatile and able to play CB.

Edited by Indy

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Wasn’t Godfrey a defensive midfielder? 😂

I don’t know but he was touted as being versatile and able to play CB.

I Do Not Know 

i think it would be best if he was English due to the Numbers of home grown 

But for this so called plan to work you have to turn the Godfrey money into another player or two 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

I Do Not Know 

i think it would be best if he was English due to the Numbers of home grown 

But for this so called plan to work you have to turn the Godfrey money into another player or two 

Hope so! But as before not sure who! We will just have to wait and see what happens. We are just talking about it on a forum, we have no control over anything NCFC.... let’s just be pleasant to each other and have a good debate with some fun!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Hope so! But as before not sure who! We will just have to wait and see what happens. We are just talking about it on a forum, we have no control over anything NCFC.... let’s just be pleasant to each other and have a good debate with some fun!

Exactly never fall out about a opinion of the club you have no control of 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Buendia is not a defender

1 hour ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Watching Union Berlin v Mainz on tv now. Mainz have a CB playing called Jerry St Juste. Dutch U21 international, good on the ball, likes to play out from the back and is super quick. Ideal replacement for Godfrey alongside Gibson/Zimmerman.

And he ended up getting battered 4-0 by the mighty Union Berlin, which leaves Mainz pointless after three games with 11 conceded.

He'd fit right in 😉

We will never be able to replace Godfrey’s superb long cross-field passes to Aarons.

Just watching SKY and they just complimented the club for not only having got in a ready made replacement, but saying as a defender Gibson is just what’s needed in the Championship and think we have done some amazing business.

Gibson  was brilliant today!

I not see any problems with our deffence but creativity is a problem for sure.

And with Buendia and Cantwell both unhappy this problem seems will not be solved soon.

We was really unlucky today and this was last that we need after disaster form and results after March.