Samwam27

Do we need a Godfrey replacement

At the start of the season I hoped we'd got Gibson to partner Godfrey, and thus "strengthen" our defence.

It was always likely he was brought in with one eye on Godfrey going.

Knowing we've had such a leaky defence for two seasons now, would you like us to get someone in/do you think we'll get someone in to partner Gibson or just stick with the injury prone Klose, Hanley & Zimm.

I know we also have Tettey and potentially Sorensen who "could" play there, but do you think Gibson will be good enough alone, and will our paper thin injury plagued trio be enough this season. Let's face it Amadou didn't work out, and there's nothing to say Gibson will step up, so I fear we're extremely light at the back and place huge amounts of hope we don't pick up injuries, which in a physical league seems unlikely.

Shame Famewo was loaned out, so have to assume he's behind these four. 

To put it simply, Farke rates him as the best defender in this league.

To not replace someone like this imo would be a massive step backwards, especially considering the injury records of our other defenders

5 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

To put it simply, Farke rates him as the best defender in this league.

To not replace someone like this imo would be a massive step backwards, especially considering the injury records of our other defenders

I think his replacement is already here in Gibson given that Godfrey often played left side.  The question really is can we keep any of the other 3 CBs fit long enough to form a decent partnership with him?  

Edited by seanthecanary

3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

At the start of the season I hoped we'd got Gibson to partner Godfrey, and thus "strengthen" our defence.

It was always likely he was brought in with one eye on Godfrey going.

Knowing we've had such a leaky defence for two seasons now, would you like us to get someone in/do you think we'll get someone in to partner Gibson or just stick with the injury prone Klose, Hanley & Zimm.

I know we also have Tettey and potentially Sorensen who "could" play there, but do you think Gibson will be good enough alone, and will our paper thin injury plagued trio be enough this season. Let's face it Amadou didn't work out, and there's nothing to say Gibson will step up, so I fear we're extremely light at the back and place huge amounts of hope we don't pick up injuries, which in a physical league seems unlikely.

Shame Famewo was loaned out, so have to assume he's behind these four. 

It's highly unlikely we'll have the extreme injury crisis we had last season, but with the fixtures being so congested it's important that we're well stocked. My guess would be that in an absolute emergency, Omobamidele would be brought in as cover (he was in the squad for the Luton match).

Is Zimmermann really that injury prone. Admittedly he's had his problems recently but he has played 99 games since his arrival?

"Zimmermann made his debut for Norwich City in a 1–1 draw against Fulham on 5 August 2017."

• Like 1

I'd say we've been saying we've needed to strengthen the defence for years especially at centre back. To have brought in one centre back and sold another doesn't suggest we really have strengthened the defence. We are having injuries on a regular basic across the squad and we will have fixtures coming thick and fast.

We need a replacement.

Maybe invest a few million into a top younger player who could challenge for a starting place then maybe in a few years time become what Godfrey became. Easier said than done, obviously.

we Need to buy a Replacement Now and someone who as Potential for PL otherwise gone backwards 

also if we were lucky enough to go up it would be worse than last season 

last season we had 5 crown jewels who could play PL 

Sell them and next time we go up we will only have 2/3 players good enough 

we need to go up stronger that will take money and signings 

Hows about Wolfenden from ITFC? The binners rate him highly and a few mill. should do it.

Evans tends to sell quite readily.

Edited by BroadstairsR

13 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Maybe invest a few million into a top younger player who could challenge for a starting place then maybe in a few years time become what Godfrey became. Easier said than done, obviously.

The way things are going come January there could be many clubs desperate to unload their talent for a couple of million just to keep them afloat. I think we will be patient and pick up bargains.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

The way things are going come January there could be many clubs desperate to unload their talent for a couple of million just to keep them afloat. I think we will be patient and pick up bargains.

I’d prefer to do it now and pick up points!

• Like 1

Didn’t farke say he was happy with the defensive cover? I don’t think we’ll see any more incomings unless Cantwell or buendia goes. Then it would probably just be a loan. 

14 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

I’d prefer to do it now and pick up points!

We have a guy who was in the England squad a couple of years ago and Hanley- who was superb for a spell last season- ready to come in. Why the panic?

1 minute ago, Mr.Carrow said:

We have a guy who was in the England squad a couple of years ago and Hanley- who was superb for a spell last season- ready to come in. Why the panic?

Why the panic? Because Hanley and Klose have been injured for the best part of last two seasons. Does anyone seriously think they'll miraculously stay fit entire season all of a sudden?

I saw Farke say today he's happy with defensive cover. Its a big if they'll stay fit and be as good as he hopes. Hope we'd try and invest something in a replacement. Who cares if that pushes Hanley & co down the pecking order 

5 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Why the panic? Because Hanley and Klose have been injured for the best part of last two seasons. Does anyone seriously think they'll miraculously stay fit entire season all of a sudden?

I saw Farke say today he's happy with defensive cover. Its a big if they'll stay fit and be as good as he hopes. Hope we'd try and invest something in a replacement. Who cares if that pushes Hanley & co down the pecking order 

It is highly, highly unlikely we'll have 3 out of 4 senior centre backs injured at one time as happened last season.

6 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

What about Tomori from Chelsea? Strikes me we've lost a lot of pace at the back with Godfrey's imminent departure and FL's Chelsea looking to loan him out

Wages would probably be an issue, no doubt on too much. That and he probably dreams of chelsea playing him

That and

Anfield away/Wycombe away

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

And a defensive coach while they're about it....

Ah that old chestnut. 

You're an expert in what a "defensive coach" is then, and are certain we don't have a good one? 

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wages would probably be an issue, no doubt on too much. That and he probably dreams of chelsea playing him

That and

Anfield away/Wycombe away

I would think wages may be the only stumbling block. Chelsea want him out on loan to get some game time so might be worth a look?

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

we Need to buy a Replacement Now and someone who as Potential for PL otherwise gone backwards 

also if we were lucky enough to go up it would be worse than last season 

last season we had 5 crown jewels who could play PL 

Sell them and next time we go up we will only have 2/3 players good enough 

we need to go up stronger that will take money and signings 

This this and this.

Zimmerman is not PL quality, Hanley isn't and Klose is past it.

31 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

This this and this.

Zimmerman is not PL quality, Hanley isn't and Klose is past it.

I would think that both those players - when they were fully fit and on form did ok last season in the PL. The main problem we had was getting a pair to play long enough together without getting injured, to be able to settle and get some form as a defensive pair.  Plus, as has been said many times, some of the issues were down to midfiekders not tracking back or giving the ball away cheaply putting the defence under too much pressure.

48 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

Ah that old chestnut. 

You're an expert in what a "defensive coach" is then, and are certain we don't have a good one? 

We do leak the odd goal. 

I don’t think we will replace him as we have four centre half’s in the building and high hopes for bushiri and famewo.

What I would say is that whilst Gibson is a solid player and in some ways will make us stronger we have now lost a lot of recovery pace down the left and if we now try and hold a high line then there could be trouble. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I would think that both those players - when they were fully fit and on form did ok last season in the PL. The main problem we had was getting a pair to play long enough together without getting injured, to be able to settle and get some form as a defensive pair.  Plus, as has been said many times, some of the issues were down to midfiekders not tracking back or giving the ball away cheaply putting the defence under too much pressure.

Getting injured is a bit of a weakness though. Harsh but true. If you are 'ok' at football but not a natural athlete then you have severe limitations in my view. Godfrey is the only athlete amongst them (was). He had a hernia op and was back playing within a week. I've forgotten what Hanley looks like.