Sign in to follow this  

With the sales now starting to pick up, I do worry that our defence could be said to be lacking depth.

We've gone from having three left backs to having just one. We're told that Ben Gibson is seen as left back cover, along with Max Aarons.

But with Godfrey now leaving, Gibson is very definitely needed in the centre of defence. It's been noted by all that Hanley and Klose have awful injury track records. 

And that doesn't mean we can ignore right back. Byram's injury records leave us with Max Aarons and Bali Mumba. If Max goes, we've gone from six full backs to two due to injurys and transfers. 

Our defence is one injury away from disaster. While I know Tettey and Sorenson can step back, I do wonder whether we'll see further reinforcements across the back to restore that cover once more?

Anyone agree?

Edited by Terminally Yellow

We need cover are centre back, we did even with Godfrey. We may have numbers but klose is past it,slow and injury prone, hanley has started picking up regular injuries and zimbo is so committed  he is prone to pick up injuries too.

I do think the reported deal for godfrey is fair but need to re reinvest  and frankly  with lg1  and 2 clubs in financial trouble there should be some good bargains to be had

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

With the sales now starting to pick up, I do worry that our defence could be said to be lacking depth.

We've gone from having three left backs to having just one. We're told that Ben Gibson is seen as left back cover, along with Max Aarons.

But with Godfrey now leaving, Gibson is very definitely needed in the centre of midfield. It's been noted by all that Hanley and Klose have awful injury track records. 

And that doesn't mean we can ignore right back. Byram's injury records leave us with Max Aarons and Bali Mumba. If Max goes, we've gone from six full backs to two due to injurys and transfers. 

Our defence is one injury away from disaster. While I know Tettey and Sorenson can step back, I do wonder whether we'll see further reinforcements across the back to restore that cover once more?

Anyone agree?

I'd prefer Gibson in the centre of our defence to be honest........... 😉 

• Like 1

We don't need cover a CB. 4 CBs on the books in Hanley, Klose, Zimmerman and Gibson. Plus we have Tettey as cover. What we need is quality that isn't injury prone. Even with Ben gone, we'd need to ship out someone before adding another. Who's going to sign for us as 5th choice CB? Nobody of any quality.

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Hah yes good point!

Based on what? Gibson hasn't player for a few seasons. Klose was also top draw in 2018! 

Edited by Overrated, over paid

1 hour ago, glory.win or die. said:

and frankly  with lg1  and 2 clubs in financial trouble there should be some good bargains to be had

If League 1 and League 2 clubs were teeming with talent they wouldn't be in League 1 or League 2.

How many good Championship players can there really be lurking in those divisions?

35 year old Ian Henderson was joint top scorer in League 1 last season, for context. 

He's currently top scorer in League 2 this season as well. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If League 1 and League 2 clubs were teeming with talent they wouldn't be in League 1 or League 2.

How many good Championship players can there really be lurking in those divisions?

35 year old Ian Henderson was joint top scorer in League 1 last season, for context. 

Should never have let him go.................................................😉

59 minutes ago, Overrated, over paid said:

Based on what? Gibson hasn't player for a few seasons. Klose was also top draw in 2018! 

I'm lost as to who you're replying to. 

We have got to sign another good, non injury prone CB now to replace Godfrey. Zimbo, Hanley, and Klose are all injury prone, Famewo is out on loan and will still have no Championship experience at the end of the season. Gibson sounds good but he’s hardly played any first team football in the past 2 years and to sign him on a permanent deal we have to get promoted. I know Sorensen can also play CB but he’s still yet to play a minute of English football and so we don’t have a clue how he’ll do for us.

My guess is that we go with what we have.

All 4 CBs are currently fit. Farke will have seen enough of Gibson by now to know what he's got and if Gibson gets a big injury we'll get another loan in.

Two weeks to secure cover isn't enough time unless Webber has an oven ready deal.

When the January window opens we might have another look depending on how many fit CBs we have then or as succession planning for the ultimate replacement of Klose when his contract expires. 

There is no point signing someone average just to loan them out or not use them. 

On 01/10/2020 at 23:41, Terminally Yellow said:

I'm lost as to who you're replying to. 

Thisty Lizard " I'd prefer Gibson in the centre of our defence to be honest."

Nobody has seen Gibson play competitively for 18 months. Move on! 

•