Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

May as well sell the lot.

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

Personally I would prefer to be less better off but be much more competitive.

As far as I know you don't get awarded any points based on the amount of money you have in the bank.

Well that's not really an option given our ownership and the current global pandemic. We may not get points for money in the bank, but it might give us a chance to still be in existence in three years' time when half the clubs outside the Premier League are in financial meltdown.

• Like 1

If that is the case, this coupled with what appears to be somewhat of an unwillingness to seek external investment in the club, it seems all the more tragic that we didn’t even give it a go in the premier league last season.

2 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

If that is the case, this coupled with what appears to be somewhat of an unwillingness to seek external investment in the club, it seems all the more tragic that we didn’t even give it a go in the premier league last season.

In troubled times such as these, I'd say it's more important than ever to try to find little green shoots of hope to cling on to. What do you reckon to Adam Idah and Josh Martin from what you've seen so far?

47 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Now that we've sold 2, and it looks like a 3rd sale is imminent, why would the the other 2 (Buendia & Aarons) want to stay here and rot when it's been made perfectly clear to them, if they didn't know already, that this Club has no ambition.

It was obvious last season and it's even more obvious now.

This old chestnut.

Using the logic of 'selling your best players means you lack ambition', that would mean no club in the country outside the big six has any ambition- and even they cave in when Barcelona and Real Madrid come calling.

Did York and Coventry show a lack of ambition when they sold us their incredibly gifted youngsters in Godfrey and Maddison? Or is it just the way football works?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Well that's not really an option given our ownership and the current global pandemic. We may not get points for money in the bank, but it might give us a chance to still be in existence in three years' time when half the clubs outside the Premier League are in financial meltdown.

None of us might not be here in 3 years time.

There's been so much nappy crapping that the grass must be about six feet high on the pitch now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Well the dressing room was lost last week, maybe we will start to see other parts of the ground being "lost" over the coming weeks.........

Did you watch the game last week or are you taking the ****?

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This old chestnut.

Using the logic of 'selling your best players means you lack ambition', that would mean no club in the country outside the big six has any ambition- and even they cave in when Barcelona and Real Madrid come calling.

Did York and Coventry show a lack of ambition when they sold us their incredibly gifted youngsters in Godfrey and Maddison? Or is it just the way football works?

If it's just an old chestnut then why do our best 5 players all want to jump ship at the same time?

Is it because they are happy here, is it because they think we have a realistic chance of getting back to the PL this season or is it because they have, over the last 6 months, seen the writing on the wall.

Well I've read through this thread but can't quite believe it. So we are selling our young players that we have developed and we are bringing more through....new heroes in the making, Idah, Martin, some of the new guys, while making a huge profit on the sales we have made to sustain and build for the future.

I am sad Godfrey is going, but it does fit in the plan that we have always been told about and with Gibson the potential to be the player that galvanises the defence - him and Zimmermann or Hanley will be a very strong pairing, Klose there too.  So sad as it is to see one of my favourite players go, he will forever be part of that great season of promotion. So I'm trying to look on it as being grateful for what we've had, not pining for what we have lost.

Maybe looking forward to financial stability and growing resources is actually the way we should be looking at this, with the next stage of young players to come through and take us up again, getting the club ever stronger and able to cope better in the PL.  New players, new heroes and who knows what will happen with the team this season.....already I'm thinking the spine of the team is is going to be super strong -

Krul

Zimmermann  Gibson

Skipp

Pukki 

and with the pace of those around them, we should have a team to be reckoned with - and I wouldn't under estimate what Farke and his coaches can do too.....

The season has only just begun and once this transfer window is closed we can settle down and crack on with it.

• Like 2

I always expected 2-3 to go, and my list in order of wanting to keep was Emi, Max, Godfrey, Cantwell and Lewis, so we are currently working our way up the list rather than down, which is something, but I’d rather like it to now stop.   Given the transfers in I’d say we were all-but prepared for three to go, of those made, Gibson = Godfrey, Dowell = Cantwell or Emi, Xavi = Lewis.  

The issue will be keeping the other two, but I really don’t understand some of the gnashing and wailing going on because what we all knew was going to happen is happening.

The one bit I’ve had real trouble understanding is the l-b situation - we went from being well stocked to understocked rather too swiftly with McCallum leaving, something i just didn’t get. 

• Like 1

Five pages in and we're still not talking about the BEST transfer made so far of this window?! Really? 

How have you all missed it?

Ricardo... has just signed for the nappy crappers. An absolute coup. They will certainly mean business this season, and this could spell the end of the happy clappers for good. 

In seriousness I cannot wait for this window to be over, a very dark time for this forum at the minute. Glad to see some level headed posters are still around. Unfortunately we don't hold the cards in quite the same way with our players as some of our fans want us to. The circumstances of selling players are not unique to us, there are not many (any?) clubs that can keep players against their will in the champs. The timing is what makes all of this so much worse, but that is clearly not the club's doing. 

Let's just see what we go and do with the money before blowing up shall we? I think that's fair. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

If it's just an old chestnut then why do our best 5 players all want to jump ship at the same time?

Is it because they are happy here, is it because they think we have a realistic chance of getting back to the PL this season or is it because they have, over the last 6 months, seen the writing on the wall.

Nope, theyve been offered better jobs. 

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

In troubled times such as these, I'd say it's more important than ever to try to find little green shoots of hope to cling on to. What do you reckon to Adam Idah and Josh Martin from what you've seen so far?

I've said it on here before and I'll say it again - Josh Martin is a far better player at the age of 18 than Todd Cantwell was. That does not mean that he will be a better player at the age of 22, but we can hope. 

3 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Five pages in and we're still not talking about the BEST transfer made so far of this window?! Really? 

Ricardo... has just signed for the nappy crappers. An absolute coup. They will certainly mean business this season, and this could spell the end of the happy clappers for good. 

In seriousness I cannot wait for this window to be over, a very dark time for this forum at the minute. Glad to see some level headed posters still are around. Unfortuantely we don't hold the cards in the same way with our players as some of our fans want us to. The circumstances of selling players are not unique to us, there are not many clubs can keep players against their will in the champs. The timing is what makes all of this so much worse, but that is clearly not the club's doing. 

Let's just see what we go and do with the money before blowing up shall we? I think that's fair. 

This, in spades 👏

11 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

No, it's because they've been offered a huge pay rise at a club in a higher division.

It really isn't rocket science.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread feels like one collective "boooooo"

Think we have to wait til we know what's happening, with players sales and any plans for more coming in. 

I'm sad most of all that Ben G is leaving. Yet another Ben is already signed. If Todd leaves we have Josh M. He has looked like a direct replacement.

We NEEDED change in my opinion. We need turnover. We needed a reset. Last season needs to get out of our system. We knew our gems might leave (but only for the price we insist upon and find acceptable).

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Nope, theyve been offered better jobs. 

'best 5' is questionable too. Aarons and Buendia are straight up but the others, whilst having higher potential, probably not better than other options in the squad at this moment in time.

Edited by KeiranShikari

37 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

None of us might not be here in 3 years time.

That is unusually positive for you, but good to hear...

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sonyc said:

This thread feels like one collective "boooooo"

Think we have to wait til we know what's happening, with players sales and any plans for more coming in. 

I'm sad most of all that Ben G is leaving. Yet another Ben is already signed. If Todd leaves we have Josh M. He has looked like a direct replacement.

We NEEDED change in my opinion. We need turnover. We needed a reset. Last season needs to get out of our system. We knew our gems might leave (but only for the price we insist upon and find acceptable).

Yes, I think the new players will inevitably result in a change in playing style. I can see us going more speedy winger - powerful target man type approach; Pukki more as an attacking MF player even? He can certainly link up play & might do better taking less responsibility for having to score all the goals. Skipp is shaping up to be an excellent DM, just need to decide who his best partner is & we could have a really dynamic attacking team again, but with a rather different shape & modus operandi. Interesting times.

Edited by ron obvious

2 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

There is a huge amount of money now sitting there I expect an orgy of spending like the club has never seen over the next few days or some thing very very fishy is going on,  very fishy indeed 

Scampi level fishy?

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Between £18m and £35m was the figure floated for the remainder of the PL season: https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/potentially-huge-loss-forces-canaries-to-play-safe-1-6623679

Factor in an entire season of Championship season ticket income down the drain too, and it has the potential to be a lot bigger. Let's say, all things being equal, that the £40m we receive up front for Lewis and Godfrey covers the hole from last season and this season; that still doesn't account for the players we've signed, let alone any future signings.

Global football is going to change drastically over the next two or three years, and not for the better in a financial sense. Imagine if coronavirus had hit two years ago, when we had to sell Maddison just to stay afloat after the parachute payments ran out.

It's going to be bloody painful for all clubs outside the global elite; our sustainable model is actually looking better all the time from where I'm sitting.

To be fair, you've picked quite an outdated report there Wolfie.

Ben Kensell stated in August that the shortfall was 12m (still eye watering admittedly). When you factor in that we were on for a 16 million profit for the season until covid dropped, then we should still have been coming out of last season with a few million to spare.

Obviously, going this whole season with no match day income will hurt like hell but the monies we've now made from the two sales should see us through the season and cover our transfers. No one else should need to leave really. 

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 1

Normally I am one to be spearheading the bandwagon when it comes to bashing our owners. However several years ago I made a quite long and well thought out post. In it I said that - 

"To compete with the richer sides Norwich need to look at buying and developing young talent to ensure maximum resale value and once that happens get the “best bang for their buck” so that it can be reinvested wisely into our playing."

Having bought both Lewis and Godfrey for relative 'peanuts' and selling them on at a considerable profit, plus having invested in potential replacements before they were sold I am struggling to find a stick to beat the club with. Of course if we are still in the Championship this time next year I will of course have found a news stick, but for the time being I am quietly optimistic.

P.S. if you want to see who poopooed my thoughts at the time, but are now promoting them as Delia and MWJ are now the champions of this cause, *cough* Duncan, *cough* Parma, *cough* Nigel, *cough* westcoast please have a read - 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Yes, I think there will inevitably incur a change in playing style. I can see us going more speedy winger - powerful target man type approach; Pukki more as an attacking MF player even? He can certainly link up play & might do better taking less responsibility for having to score all the goals. Skipp is shaping up to be an excellent DM, just need to decide who his best partner is & we could have a really dynamic attacking team again, but with a rather different shape & modus operandi. Interesting times.

'Interesting' is the operative word. I wanted to see something new. I'm not convinced we have a new identity yet from the clues so far in playing style. It could go wrong I guess.

I would love us to play 2 up front (thinking Boyer/Macdougal or Biggins/Drinkell) .... obviously a mix between Idah /Pukki / Hugill.... because I think that would create tons of trouble for other teams. I want to see more of what Sorensen can do too. He looked assured in pre season.

I want us to take the momentum rather than trying to regain it with attacking subs when we are chasing a game. Last year the subs were used in an emergency change not for capitalising. I want Farke to change his style. To treat his team as potential winners, to talk them up. It would take a change though as he is a modest kind of fella, which I like but now I want him to be much more ballsy about our ambitions.

To do all this needs new players. I would welcome the recycling not just of players but styles ....and in making very good money we would be able to go for it in the January window if necessary to 'get us over the line'.

Don't think we're going for anything as grand as a new identity. More robust and rounded in the middle of the park 100% but I doubt we'll be playing 2 pacey wingers from the start too often.

I actually see all of this as incredible business.

We’ve sold a couple of players for an unbelievable profit at a time when clubs are uncertain about what the financial future of football is going to look like. Webber has in fact given NCFC a very strong cushion to weather the coming storm, while at the same time bringing in some raw talent for Farke to work with and bring up to promotion challenging speed.

Can anyone imagine the level of trouble NCFC would be in if we’d spent stupid millions on players last season and still been relegated, on top of the Covid chaos?

I honestly believe if that were the case we’d be selling more than just the crown jewels of the club. 

No one knows how long the Covid chaos is going to play out and we should all be grateful for the fortuitous situation the club has found itself in.

I for one am happy to be discussing players leaving for incredible profit rather than the shadows of administration. 

My feeling is there will be a a lot of owner’s having sleepless nights. Without assets to sell, salaries to pay and game day revenue coming in, it won’t be long before the cracks start to show for a few clubs.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

In seriousness I cannot wait for this window to be over, a very dark time for this forum at the minute. Glad to see some level headed posters are still around. Unfortunately we don't hold the cards in quite the same way with our players as some of our fans want us to. The circumstances of selling players are not unique to us, there are not many (any?) clubs that can keep players against their will in the champs. The timing is what makes all of this so much worse, but that is clearly not the club's doing. 

History concerning NCFC not your strongest subject then. 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

History concerning NCFC not your strongest subject then. 

Is our transfer history any more alarming than other similar sized clubs?

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

He's been on loan to them a few times. When BJ was sold, for example. And of course the prediction of a prolonged stay in the Champs shortly before our recent promotion saw him cancel his season long spell early😉