Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

May as well sell the lot.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

The model didn't have the foresight to predict coronavirus, which has left a colossal hole in our finances. If we keep Max and Emi, we should still have enough quality to challenge for promotion. And don't rule out the possibility of a) Josh Martin making a big impact, or b) Webber pulling another transfer rabbit out the hat with the proceeds.

Assuming Cantwell is sold, if we also sell Max and/or Emi in this window, that would be seriously concerning. Happy to keep my powder dry until the window is closed. I'm counting Godfrey as gone now, but we've still only sold two of the five as things stand.

I’m in full agreement, Wolfie. Whereas I really do think Cantwell will be gone, I’m not certain we’ll lose Emi, and even to a lesser extent, Max. Exactly as you have quite rightly said, as it stands, we’ve lost only 2 of the 5. That’s the only voice of reason and fact I can see so far. I too will wait until we’ve actually flogged all 5 with no incomings before I get worked up about an event that is yet to happen. 

1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

There has to be an uprising now against the stowmarket 2

Time for Til1010 to hire St. Andrews hall

will anyone ever trust them again I think not 

You were never going to trust them even if we won the PL title, the FA cup, the European Cup & filled the England squad with Norwich players all born within 50 yards of Norwich Market.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ricardo said:

My understanding was that we would go back stronger. No way that is going to happen now. I think we've just thrown in the towel.

Harsh. The day after relegation was confirmed, Michael Bailey's piece on the Athletic confirmed plans to sell upto three of our star players. We're just about the confirm the second. 

We all knew this was likely and I think suggesting we're throwing in the towel is wrong  It's particularly painful when it's happening all at once like this, though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alex Moss said:

I’m in full agreement, Wolfie. Whereas I really do think Cantwell will be gone, I’m not certain we’ll lose Emi, and even to a lesser extent, Max. Exactly as you have quite rightly said, as it stands, we’ve lost only 2 of the 5. That’s the only voice of reason and fact I can see so far. I too will wait until we’ve actually flogged all 5 with no incomings before I get worked up about an event that is yet to happen. 

There are an alarming number of people who seem desperate to predict that everyone's going to be sold and nobody brought in to replace them. I wonder if they'll hold their hands up if we keep Max and Emi and sign a couple more decent players before the window closes?

If we do sell all five of them and not bring in replacements, I'll still be here, I'll admit I was wrong, and I'll be bloody furious.

But until that possibility comes to pass, what on earth is the point of going on the warpath?

Deal in facts, people.

• Like 1

If we hadn't just brought in a much more experienced England international in the same position I might agree with you. Godfrey is immense but I doubt we'll see his positional naivety and occasional lapses in concentration with Gibson.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

You were never going to trust them even if we won the PL title, the FA cup, the European Cup & filled the England squad with Norwich players all born within 50 yards of Norwich Market.

True but unfortunately I have yet again been proven right

the amount of time I pre call out what is happening is starting to boring I am that reliable 

Btw @Feedthewolf - I’m of the same opinion about Josh Martin. Surely we’re not the only two that believe he could be a hell of a player for us this season? This could be his opportunity, and I have no doubt with his natural talent, he will grab it. Added bonus, no Alice band 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Did we really expect to keep our best players after relegation? Anyone who thought we would is incredibly naive. Us, Watford and Bournemouth have all lost at least two star players and the numbers will continue to rise.

It isn't about throwing in the towel or misunderstanding the model, because this is the model. Buy young, high potential players, develop, sell them for a profit, buy better young, high potential players and repeat.

I beg to differ. The model was to go back stronger and stay in the Prem because we wouldnt have to sell our best players like teams who had splashed out and failed. If we have to sell our stars anyway, what is the difference and what is the point?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

I beg to differ. The model was to go back stronger and stay in the Prem because we wouldnt have to sell our best players like teams who had splashed out and failed. If we have to sell our stars anyway, what is the difference and what is the point?

Ricky, you didn’t honestly believe that we’d keep all of the 5 players did you? I’m surprised if so. 

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I too will wait until we’ve actually flogged all 5 with no incomings before I get worked up about an event that is yet to happen. 

The incomings have already happened. Anyone who thinks we are now going to spend 10_15 million on replacements have been watching a different club all their lives.

• Like 1

We have sold 2 and 2 more don't want to be here and pretty much downed tools. That's 4 gone in my head.

There are too many options for Max not to go as well.

Sad times.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

If we hadn't just brought in a much more experienced England international in the same position I might agree with you. Godfrey is immense but I doubt we'll see his positional naivety and occasional lapses in concentration with Gibson.

Still out of likes, but spot on Mr Carrow. Ben will develop into one of the best CB’s in the country in my small opinion, but Gibson’s an extremely talented player and approaching his prime years (that’s after an England call up). All he’s lacking right now is match sharpness - nothing else. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Ricky, you didn’t honestly believe that we’d keep all of the 5 players did you? I’m surprised if so. 

No I didnt but the other three now look very likely to go. I was happy with Lewis and one other but that is now obviously wishful thinking.

There is a huge amount of money now sitting there I expect an orgy of spending like the club has never seen over the next few days or some thing very very fishy is going on,  very fishy indeed 

• Haha 3

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

We have sold 2 and 2 more don't want to be here and pretty much downed tools. That's 4 gone in my head.

There are too many options for Max not to go as well.

Sad times.

Very well articulated it been a dark dark year in the history of the club 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

the amount of time I pre call out what is happening is starting to boring I am that reliable 

No, you just predict the worst possible outcomes & rely on people forgetting all the rubbish you spout when they don't happen.

It's a common technique. I know several people who use it quite successfully.

We got a **** load of cash for two still raw talents. If the club had turned them down the pant wetting would be on the Noah scale.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Herman said:

We got a **** load of cash for two still raw talents. If the club had turned them down the pant wetting would be on the Noah scale.

Binner 

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

The incomings have already happened. Anyone who thinks we are now going to spend 10_15 million on replacements have been watching a different club all their lives.

Who has said anything about spending 10-15million on replacements? Not seen a single poster even remotely suggest this?

I would be surprised if we don’t see either one or two (and I mean 1 or 2) continental bargains/decent quality loans come in though, I’m thinking along the lines of Skipp (not to mention Quintilla and Gibson) who incidentally was excellent against Bournemouth.

I would hope we make some smart moves to ensure the best chance of promotion, and then think about at least spending a few more quid than we did last time next summer, all going to plan. I would imagine that’s Webber’s aim too.

34 minutes ago, ricardo said:

This isn't how I understood the model was going to work. This just looks like a mass cash in and sod any push for promotion. What happened to the long term plan.

The innovator of it is moving on in 18 months, just building a nice nest for Delia & co to stay with the club.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Its not that Herman. Players come and go and thats why I try not to get too attached. What is worrying hre is that we look like loosing virtually all our young guns which now puts any concerted push back to the Prem on the back burner.

I expected to lose a couple but still be in a position for the model to work. At this rate I would say the chances of that are diminishing rapidly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

There is a huge amount of money now sitting there I expect an orgy of spending like the club has never seen over the next few days or some thing very very fishy is going on,  very fishy indeed 

Like your farts after a scampi orgy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Did we really expect to keep our best players after relegation? Anyone who thought we would is incredibly naive. 

Apparently plenty of City fans seemed to think we would buck the trend of the entire football world. Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea have all sold players they didn't want to. If they can't hold to their best players, I don't see how you can expect City to. Even if we had stayed up, the likes of Godfrey would have left, just for more money 

Edited by seanthecanary
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Who has said anything about spending 10-15million on replacements? Not seen a single poster even remotely suggest this?

I would be surprised if we don’t see either one or two (and I mean 1 or 2) continental bargains/decent quality loans come in though, I’m thinking along the lines of Skipp (not to mention Quintilla and Gibson) who incidentally was excellent against Bournemouth.

I would hope we make some smart moves to ensure the best chance of promotion, and then think about at least spending a few more quid than we did last time next summer, all going to plan. I would imagine that’s Webber’s aim too.

I think you will find that the buying has already been completed. Anyone expecting more now that we have sold is going to be disappointed.

19 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

You were saying exactly the same thing after Pritchard, the Murphy's and Maddison went. Yawn. Get a life.

17 minutes ago, ricardo said:

But it isn't simply a case of not selling because we are financially stable. These players know that there are big clubs out there who are prepared to spend big to sign them and then treble their wages. The reason they're being sold is because they want to go, not because we need the money. 

Said money will be, or has been, reinvested in the squad. If Godfrey, Aarons, Buendia and Cantwell are sold and no new centre back, right back and attacking midfielder are subsequently brought in then I will be very irritated, because those four will bring in at least £80m between them. Even if we only spend £10m on three replacements, we need to replace them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Its not that Herman. Players come and go and thats why I try not to get too attached. What is worrying hre is that we look like loosing virtually all our young guns which now puts any concerted push back to the Prem on the back burner.

I expected to lose a couple but still be in a position for the model to work. At this rate I would say the chances of that are diminishing rapidly.

"All our young guns", huh? Last I checked Idah was regarded as one of the best young strikers in the country, Martin looked premier class at 18, Mumba has been highly impressive in training and at Luton and Placheta has already looked extremely dangerous despite only just settling in and learning English.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But it isn't simply a case of not selling because we are financially stable. These players know that there are big clubs out there who are prepared to spend big to sign them and then treble their wages. The reason they're being sold is because they want to go, not because we need the money. 

Said money will be, or has been, reinvested in the squad. If Godfrey, Aarons, Buendia and Cantwell are sold and no new centre back, right back and attacking midfielder are subsequently brought in then I will be very irritated, because those four will bring in at least £80m between them. Even if we only spend £10m on three replacements, we need to replace them.

When did Ben or Jamal express a desire to leave ?

34 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I don't think it's quite that ricardo. You could perhaps argue that last year we really didn't have the cash resource to maintain PL survival, we need to build reserves to be able to pay proper money for the occasional proven PL player & also pay proper salaries for all our players. 

The process is going to be more gradual. Let's see what happens to our latest gambles, how they develop. Personally I find it all quite exciting (although I appreciate you & others will not).

Totally agree RO. No need to panic and I too feel it gives us very solid base going forward. I treat it as a given that Max and Cantwell will go too but that just will leave room for our new stars. Might also allow us fix the defence. Exciting

Onward and upward.

Joking, but we could alway swap Max for Messi. Might like to bang 100 goals in in a season for light relaxation .....