Sign in to follow this  
Tootingyellow

Messageboard Thought Police

I may disagree with the OP but have no problem with him/her putting a point of view. Yet it seems the shouty ‘social media’ culture promotes, for example, unreasonable attacks on both sides of the ‘splash the cash’ divide. The first step to cleaning up our act is to simply ignore the very obvious trolling – like most there’s been times when I’ve fallen for it and expect I’ve indulged in some over the top replies as well. But I’ve grown more careful about feeding egos in this way and urge anyone who’s grown sick of it all to return and outweigh the abuse with sensible debate about our club, because when it’s good, this platform is very good and we’d all miss it badly if it wasn’t here. Quite literally ignore the trashy posts and respond to common sense views within each thread with common sense replies, tricky but possible. And sometimes just enjoy a good laugh.

Has to be brown sauce.

• Like 1

There's no doubt that an opinion on here will be challenged. That's healthy. Otherwise we may as well all write blogs.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Hogesar what have you done to upset your Grandma if she is leaving the Club to your uncle Tom  instead of you !! 

I took some money from her hambag to buy the new FIFA game when I was 12. 😀

• Haha 3

Plenty of good debate to be found, is this thread a reaction to your 'Nice bank account but average side' topic? Because I can't really see anything but reasonable replies in that?

1 hour ago, Tootingyellow said:

It's a sad aspect of this messageboard that anyone who has an opinion that we could and should do/have done things differently is always disparaged and dismissed as a whiner, moaner or whinger. I have been going to CR since the 80's and I and others are entitled to our views/thoughts. There has always been a strong contingent at City that believe that everyone should just shut up and be content and that anything else means you're not a real supporter. I don't apologise for being demanding of our club and wanting them to be ambitious. It's frustrating to see potential opportunities pass by.

Doesn't mean that if your views are whining and moronic that you shouldn't be dismissed does it. 

The problem is a lot of fans have no clue about the game they follow. 

They spout out ludicrous views on tactics, formations, and the club. They talk in absolutes, and display the tactical understanding of a potato. 

So sorry, but yeah they should get short thrift. 

I don't mind a good debate with anyone on hear and try not to get personal. I think I know who the trolls are and can;t really think of a recent episode where any such debate has got nasty. We all think differently on these things and I fully appreciate that many of us see things differently. I also think that my generation of fans are probably amongst the most demanding that we have in here because for many of our formative years watching Norwich City the club was able to be genuinely competitive at the top level and i think because of that we find the second tier existence less satisfying than some others do.

Its also an unprecedentedly uncertain time and I think that is a good example of how you can spin the situation both ways. On the one hand I do accept that our prudent/cautious approach has, in light of covid, left us in a position where we are going to be more finaiclaly secure than many other championship clubs for the next 3 or 4 years anyway. On the other hand you can use it to argue that when you get in the prem and have an opportunity you have to try and seize it then and there (because you never know what might  happen) and also that having an owner with deeper pockets (thus making you less reliant on fan income) gives a club a safety blanket that we don;t have. 

It takes all sorts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

Hogesar what have you done to upset your Grandma if she is leaving the Club to your uncle Tom  instead of you !! 

Perhaps Tom's his father. 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tootingyellow said:

I don't apologise for being demanding of our club and wanting them to be ambitious. It's frustrating to see potential opportunities pass by.

Well for one thing, your idea of ambition and the club's idea of ambition are probably different. The club's ambition is there if you choose to see it - to build up resources over time to the extent it can compete on a regular basis at the top table.  That is a good ambition. We are seeing it in action and have been now for three seasons - to the extent we have some brilliant young players who if they stay will help us get up again or if sold enable us buy further young exciting players to come through.  

For the other thing - frustration - well we all get frustrated at losing, getting relegated etc - but if you think last season was a wasted opportunity, well you have to try and understand it in the context of the ambition that the club has that I explained in the paragraph above!   After all it was only three seasons ago the club was facing financial meltdown if it didn't do something drastic.

The complaint is often "why don't the majority shareholders sell to someone with more money" which is one view point I suppose....and sometimes it's "why don't they loosen the purse strings" which is the stupidest thing that I've seen, given the structure of the club and the fact there is no big purse to loosen strings from!   If there is any money, it is tied up in the long term well being of the club - something that I think some fans don't get - they want it and they want it now. 

But it's so easy for clubs to become financial basket cases - it's happened to us several times over many years - and each time we bounce back, sometimes quicker than at other times. Even clubs that have money get into real trouble with finances. The present policy is a protective one for the club's future and it is a building policy in that development on and off the field is built in to the plans. 

Now I can't change people's minds about their viewpoint - that is up to them, but when you look at the first response on this thread which was on the lines of - "had enough of this "self-funding" rubbish" - then you see the problem that some people have with the club - but it's not rubbish....and it is not lack of ambition either.....it's just that the club is a bit different from the rest. Think of Dortmund in Germany and the success they have had with a similar policy - I am fairly sure - especially with Webber and Farke's links to that club, that their model is what we are emulating. It's a much better ethos than just chasing success with vast amounts of money - and it works too, if you get the right people in and stick to the policy.  We are doing it differently - long may that continue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Self pitying nonsense. You're allowed to have an opinion and to express it. Others are allowed to disagree with it and say why they do. And you are allowed to disagree with them and say why you do. That's what a messageboard is for. It's just as much the case that those who support what the club are doing are derided as being 'Happy Clappers' and 'Delia sycophants' etc. 

Thanks for proving the point....

2 hours ago, Tootingyellow said:

It's a sad aspect of this messageboard that anyone who has an opinion that we could and should do/have done things differently is always disparaged and dismissed as a whiner, moaner or whinger. I have been going to CR since the 80's and I and others are entitled to our views/thoughts. There has always been a strong contingent at City that believe that everyone should just shut up and be content and that anything else means you're not a real supporter. I don't apologise for being demanding of our club and wanting them to be ambitious. It's frustrating to see potential opportunities pass by.

waahmbulance.jpg

2 hours ago, East Rider said:

Norwich are a club which have often been on the end of bad timing. And relegation from the PL just when the big money started to roll in is probably the best example of this considering we had been holding our own relatively comfortably prior to that. Nine years later we found ourselves back there and low and behold we are essentially off the pace, every time. If we had held on I firmly believe we could have established ourselves and not be the yo-yo club we are today.

There are many other examples such as going up with a superb championship wining team a year ago and not dealing with the defence issues may come back to bite us firmly on the arris.  

Agree with you on that one, also the European football ban as a result of those saints for fans, Liverpool. Big opportunity lost there. City lost couple seasons of European competition. 

Both sides of a coin are just as valuable. Expressions such as pant wetter or happy clapper do spoil the topics.

I like Delia but think she makes mistakes. Chase did make a lot of mistakes but both have overseen some good times at the club.I

Whatever the reason you choose to believe the way the club should be run, without being rude (unless someone is rude to you) you should be allowed to make your point. You should never feel threatened to say what you believe.

i think we all know who believes what on here and if you believe you have a valid point that might just alter their belief then please post it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, City fan said:

Agree with you on that one, also the European football ban as a result of those saints for fans, Liverpool. Big opportunity lost there. City lost couple seasons of European competition. 

I believe it was actually 3? We had a good side and may have done ok in those competitions. So when Liverpool fans go on about ‘little Norwich’ it takes the p155 a bit as they were the ones that could well have changed our history for the worse.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

According to some on Facebook, I'm Delia's grandson....

Look, there's people that agree with your views and people that disagree OP. Thirsty is right, I'm not sure what this post does other than try and create further polarisation. 

They must also believe you're the immaculate conception 😉

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, City fan said:

Four as it happens.

No wonder the Scousers aren't too popular

15 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Four as it happens.

No wonder the Scousers aren't too popular

I have debated this with a few scousers supporters, and typically they don't see themselves to blame! Even from some that werent born when Heysel happened, but speak very factually about it!  

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Plenty of good debate to be found, is this thread a reaction to your 'Nice bank account but average side' topic? Because I can't really see anything but reasonable replies in that?

No, although there is some reference to whining on the thread. I have been reading this messageboard for years and it's a long-held view. 

3 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Doesn't mean that if your views are whining and moronic that you shouldn't be dismissed does it. 

The problem is a lot of fans have no clue about the game they follow. 

They spout out ludicrous views on tactics, formations, and the club. They talk in absolutes, and display the tactical understanding of a potato. 

So sorry, but yeah they should get short thrift. 

Just Wow !

23 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I believe it was actually 3? We had a good side and may have done ok in those competitions. So when Liverpool fans go on about ‘little Norwich’ it takes the p155 a bit as they were the ones that could well have changed our history for the worse.

In my mind missing out on those high profile (as they were at the time) European campaigns, did change our history in a negative direction and whilst the club those fans who caused the trouble support have bounced back, we have never really recovered (albeit we have shot ourselves in the foot a few times since)

1 minute ago, East Rider said:

In my mind missing out on those high profile (as they were at the time) European campaigns, did change our history in a negative direction and whilst the club those fans who caused the trouble support have bounced back, we have never really recovered (albeit we have shot ourselves in the foot a few times since)

For a start, those 4 extra seasons in Europe would have considerably added to our history. And who knows, we might have had some success in any one of those European campaigns. It still p155es me off every time I think about it, East Rider - disgusting how we were penalised because of the mindless actions of others. 

On 01/10/2020 at 10:28, Midlands Yellow said:

Chase didn’t get the Sky money and packed houses at home for additional revenue. It’s a shame we go to the best restaurant in town frequently but only ever order egg and chips. 

Chase didn't get the Sky money because he mismanaged the club to a disastrous level. He sold a goal scoring centre forward without even telling the manager and didn't come up with £250k to spend on a goalkeeper to replace Gunn. We got relegated with a kid in goal and it was down to Chase

On 01/10/2020 at 10:01, Tootingyellow said:

Everybody can own an opinion and no one is stopping them from stating it. But you can't own the facts. I constantly read posts that rely on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, usually along the lines of "we should have loads of money" or "we never spend any money" which quite frankly are nonsense. The accounts show otherwise but posters chose to ignore them. 

The only real issue is whether the owners should sell to someone rich. That's a matter of opinion. It may go well, like Leicester. Or it may go very badly indeed like Ipswich. Unfortunately we are, to a certain extent, wasting our time talking about it because Delia doesn't have to sell if she doesn't want to. But for the sake of argument, I would say that the number of rich investors who want to plough money into Norwich City simply for the benefit of the club and its fans is minimal. In fact the number is probably zero.

There are probably a lot out there like Marcus Evans who think they could make a quick killing out of it. Have a good look down the road and look at the possible consequences. 

Having said that, if there is a genuine Norwich supporting billionaire out there who offers to buy the club she really should stand aside. There isn't though is there? 

• Thanks 1

Trying to reason and constructively debate with the 'average' football fan is often futile. Football, like discussion forums, attract many, many male chickens!

Make your point, all are welcome, just don't think you need to respond or react to everyone. 👍