Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Everton supposedly about to bid for Godfrey

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

sounds like we've had our pants pulled down compared to the £50m we wanted initially... yet again the self funding thing comes back to bite us. Just what the plan is long term I don't even know anymore... at least we will have a club to support though, until we have a backer though, we are going to be ultimately short of achieving anything significant.

If we were wanting £25mil for him, which is what the majority of sources are quoting we got plus add ons (not to mention the one that matters - NCFC ‘club RECORD fee’), then in order to get that figure you obviously name a super high price from the off. Let’s be real, it’s not really going to work if Stuart Webber, wanting £25mil, quotes we’re hoping for £10mil!

It's a marvellous deal for NCFC. Godfrey had progressed as far as he was going to with us - I hope he moves his game on now, but getting up to £30m for a player with quite a few flaws left to iron out is astonishing. I hope we also got a sell on in case he becomes the next Van Dijk.

• Like 1

Just now, zema abbey football genius said:

I’ve noticed Sky Sports are quoting £20mill  plus add ons...other sources (eg BBC) saying £25Mill plus add ons...

£25 mill + add ons would be deemed ‘acceptable’ IMO...hope that SSN are wrong 

From the horses mouth, NCFC have said club record so that beats the Maddison fee - Sky are the only outlet peddling £20mil.

4 minutes ago, zema abbey football genius said:

Liverpool Echo also reporting £20mill + EFC site state ‘undisclosed’ ... 🤔

A newspaper called Liverpool Echo or from the actual club that sold him?

10 minutes ago, zema abbey football genius said:

It just seems strange to me...

Obviously NCFC will want to project a ‘offer they couldn’t turn down’ ...  

So you trust a newspaper over your club? Norwich confirm club record fee, Everton just say ‘undisclosed fee’, which does nothing whatsoever to contradict that. Most outlets saying £25mil plus add ons. I don’t see what’s strange to be honest. 

9 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

So you trust a newspaper over your club? Norwich confirm club record fee, Everton just say ‘undisclosed fee’, which does nothing whatsoever to contradict that. Most outlets saying £25mil plus add ons. I don’t see what’s strange to be honest. 

Yep, and if the club  says it was a bigger fee than Madison  , then its decent chunk.

What many  forget is that all estimated player values are exactly that....estimated. Their true value in hard cash is what another Cliub is prepared  to pay, it's not nice, but it's a fact.  Best wishes to Ben, gave us a couple of years of good hard work, no trouble as far as I am aware, has left for a bigger club than us that look like they're on the way up, and we've  made a tidy profit. Personally  I'm not convinced hes the next Rio/ Terry/ Van D👁ke, but would of course be delighted  if it happens.

13 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I wouldn’t trust anyone in football 

22 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

sounds like we've had our pants pulled down compared to the £50m we wanted initially... yet again the self funding thing comes back to bite us. Just what the plan is long term I don't even know anymore... at least we will have a club to support though, until we have a backer though, we are going to be ultimately short of achieving anything significant.

We pay less than 1m for a CB

We get £25 - £30m for the same CB

Not quite sure how 'self funding' has 'come back to bite us'

• Like 4

I'm amazed people still don't get how negotiations work.

Anyone who thought an anonymous press briefing about wanting £50m for Godfrey meant we'd actually hold out for £50m is just being willfully dumb.

The whole point of that was to make it clear he was going to cost a very decent sum, especially if we were going to sell in January, when this briefing was made.

We got a club record fee for him in a summer where spending is down due to factors well beyond our control. I really don't see how people can think our pants have been pulled down.

• Thanks 1

On 05/10/2020 at 14:26, Tetteys Jig said:

I find this somewhat perplexing.

First, we have just made a truly massive profit on selling two players that cost us a pittance (something like £40 million plus, and let's not forget the £20m for Maddison). Surely that is exactly what is central to the self-funding model. Indeed it indicates the overwhelming success of the self-funding model. So how this represents  something that has "come back to bite us" I find hard to fathom.

Second, you say, "...until we have a backer though, we are going to be ultimately short of achieving anything significant.". To make the sort of money we have made from the sales of Maddison, Lewis, Godfrey (and potentially from Aarons, Buendia, Cantwell), you are going to have to find us a very wealthy backer indeed. But just who might this backer be? No-one who clamours for such a backer ever seems to be able to even hint at a name. Frankly, I don't think there is the remotest chance that there is a super-rich potential owner out there waiting to pump in the £200-300 million needed to get City competing for "significant" honours (particularly post the economic crisis of Covid-19). 

Take a snapshot of the Championship right now and find me a wealthy owner who has just ploughed £40 million into their club for the current season. We've been able to do that because of our self-funding model.

Edited by horsefly
the sin of a missing apostrophe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I find this somewhat perplexing.

First, we have just made a truly massive profit on selling two players that cost us a pittance (something like £40 million plus, and lets not forget the £20m for Maddison). Surely that is exactly what is central to the self-funding model. Indeed it indicates the overwhelming success of the self-funding model. So how this represents  something that has "come back to bite us" I find hard to fathom.

Second, you say, "...until we have a backer though, we are going to be ultimately short of achieving anything significant.". To make the sort of money we have made from the sales of Maddison, Lewis, Godfrey (and potentially from Aarons, Buendia, Cantwell), you are going to have to find us a very wealthy backer indeed. But just who might this backer be? No-one who clamours for such a backer ever seems to be able to even hint at a name. Frankly, I don't think there is the remotest chance that there is a super-rich potential owner out there waiting to pump in the £200-300 million needed to get City competing for "significant" honours (particularly post the economic crisis of Covid-19). 

Take a snapshot of the Championship right now and find me a wealthy owner who has just ploughed £40 million into their club for the current season. We've been able to do that because of our self-funding model.

THIS!!!!! Why don't people understand?

3 hours ago, zema abbey football genius said:

Touché 

Tbh I don’t really trust anyone in life...apart from my 4 yo son 😂

Give it 10 years, you won't be trusting him either.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Anyone who thought an anonymous press briefing about wanting £50m for Godfrey meant we'd actually hold out for £50m is just being willfully dumb.

The whole point of that was to make it clear he was going to cost a very decent sum, especially if we were going to sell in January, when this briefing was made.

We got a club record fee for him in a summer where spending is down due to factors well beyond our control. I really don't see how people can think our pants have been pulled down.

Thank you KC, now that’s actually a real voice of reason 👍

3 hours ago, king canary said:

I’d have got more for him.... 😎

2 minutes ago, zema abbey football genius said:

I’d have got more for him.... 😎

Well I sold him to Spurs for £60m on Football Manager 20 in 2025 so I think I would have done the best job.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well I sold him to Spurs for £60m on Football Manager 20 in 2025 so I think I would have done the best job.

🤣

I was actually being serious. When you consider all variables in the negotiation, I don’t think holding out for £30mill was unrealistic.

Webber thinks he’s all that and a bag of chips - the reality is, he’s small time... 

1 hour ago, zema abbey football genius said:

🤣

I was actually being serious. When you consider all variables in the negotiation, I don’t think holding out for £30mill was unrealistic.

Webber thinks he’s all that and a bag of chips - the reality is, he’s small time... 

Do give us an idea of your  previous  multi million pound negotiations.....we're  all ears👂🙉👂

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Do give us an idea of your  previous  multi million pound negotiations.....we're  all ears👂🙉👂

I can’t claim to have bought and sold football players in my career...but negotiations are part and parcel of all business.

The principles of negotiation are not any different....but I’m not here to talk about work 🥱 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zema abbey football genius said:

I can’t claim to have bought and sold football players in my career...but negotiations are part and parcel of all business.

The principles of negotiation are not any different....but I’m not here to talk about work 🥱 

Let me guess, you work in “the motor industry”?

4CA7ADBF-0A08-4221-B32C-C53DAFEA21AC.jpeg

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

We pay less than 1m for a CB

We get £25 - £30m for the same CB

Not quite sure how 'self funding' has 'come back to bite us'

It has a little, we’re back in the Championship. 

• Like 1