Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Everton supposedly about to bid for Godfrey

Just now, HazzaJet said:

Please bear in mind though that he’s only here on loan and to sign him on a permanent deal we have to get promoted

I'm not sure how he's here is really the point. I think everyone would agree in terms of ability, it's two from Zimm, Hanley and Gibson 

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I find it a bit odd that Norwich are always pleading poverty. On the face of it we’re very comfortable. Two seasons of parachute payments plus several players worth multi-millions and no debt must mean we’re in a healthy position surely ?

I dont think anyone at the club is pleading poverty right now, are they? Webber gave us info on the cost of COVID but then proceeded to sign 11 players before selling anyone.

The more in the kitty means the longer we can use Covid as a tool to be ultra cautious. We’ve already bought in cover for all positions and today’s comments by Sinani makes me think the club had already been aware of the likely departures, but as the finances bit other clubs it was clear that we might not sell so got them out on loan. Now the danger is we sell our talented four and get in a few replacements who are journeymen on loan.

Edited by Indy

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

if we bother replace then it would be maybe someone on loan? We have recall op famewo in Jan if needs be and as it stands, we have 4 fit centre backs. Perhaps we'll dip in on deadline day if we get an injury?

We also have Sorenson and Xavi that can fill in there if required

We tried this square pegs **** last season and it was an effing disaster.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CUSDP said:

How is £26m a good deal?

Villa paid that for mings the other year and have just paid more fir Watkins from Brentford!

It's £25mil plus add ons. 

Villa paid £20m plus add ons believed to take it to £25m. 

How good are Farke and Webber at bringing youth through? The players sold, or bringing interest from clubs like Barca, have effectively been brought through in the last few years.

Incredible really, and long may it continue.

Best of luck to Ben, what a good move for him. Assuming the ts are crossed and is dotted with this deal it seems like very good business all round.

• Like 2

Just now, Ian said:

How good are Farke and Webber at bringing youth through? The players sold, or bringing interest from clubs like Barca, have effectively been brought through in the last few years.

Best of luck to Ben, what a good move for him. Assuming the ts are crossed and is dotted with this deal it seems like very good business all round.

They've done superbly. If we can replicate 50% of that youth development in the next two years we will be doing well.

• Like 1

Shame we didn’t buy Dickie from Oxford, would have been the ideal replacement.

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Just to recap, Webber never said we wouldn’t sell any of the 5. He said we were in a position where we didn’t have to, so any outgoings would be on Norwich City’s terms. He did also say we wouldn’t sell all 5 of them. At the moment Emi is looking the most likely to stay. I’d take that. 

Stuart Webber has not broken his word or any promises before anyone gets their knickers in a twist. 

Statements like that are meaningless in this day and age.

The fact is we do not have to sell them on the cheap, which we have not.  As long as any premier league team pays the going rate for any of our players they are off.

The model is sell for profit so I understand so the proof of the pudding will be the new signings made once the sales have been concluded.

Now that will be a massive achievement promotion on a shoestring > best players sold > rebuild and then promotion challenge would be most impressive.

5 minutes ago, Rabbit hole said:

He did say the asking price for Godfrey was £50m. Only dropped half the value he promised us 

He never said categorically that the minimum we would accept is £50mil. There was mention that he could be a £50mil player in the current market but never promised that we would only sell for that price. More nonsense. 

Well I guess it had to be done, but still leaves me a little glum.  The very best of luck to Ben, it's a great move for him and, as with Maddison, I'll follow his career with interest.

• Like 2

Gutted to lose Ben. Followed him closely since he signed from York. Hope he plays for England at Centre half. Farke recognised his proper position. Let's hope he can find another one.

Bit of a jolt for those who thought Hanley was a better defender...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Norwich have got an Algerian Centre back on the radar currently at Liverpool

If you're talking about Yasser Larouci, he's an attacking left back.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

We are rapidly heading to having a weaker quad than last time we were in the Championship.

Yep and biceps too!😂

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

We also have Sorenson and Xavi that can fill in there if required

If Xavi fills in at centre back, who's playing left back? lol

Think he is worth more but as with any negotiation you have to balance it against the possibility that if we keep pushing for more they back out completely. That assumes that the player is keen to go but I can’t imagine the possibility of playing with James Rodriguez under Carlo Ancelotti was a difficult sell against playing for us in a Championship battle,  with half our support still convinced he’s playing out of position based on a loan spell at Shrewsbury😉
He’s a northern lad, he’s been good for us and this is a logical next step. We’ve also been handsomely rewarded financially. I wish him well and I’m praying for the hambag as it must be bursting at the seams right now. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont think anyone at the club is pleading poverty right now, are they? Webber gave us info on the cost of COVID but then proceeded to sign 11 players before selling anyone.

Maybe poverty is the wrong word to use but they always give the impression that things are tight and every penny is accounted for in the self-financing plan.

Yes, COVID cost money but buying a lot of players before selling anyone is easier when the players you have to sell are worth one hell of a lot more than the ones you’re buying.

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

they didn't Buy any of them though ,that's the worry 

Emi is a cracking player and that was a Webber signing 

They trust youngsters but i don't think they had much choice to play them as we were skint at the time 

Not knocking Webber and Farke but i think they were lucky we had Aarons Lewis Godfrey Cantwell at the club already

1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Think he is worth more but as with any negotiation you have to balance it against the possibility that if we keep pushing for more they back out completely. That assumes that the player is keen to go but I can’t imagine the possibility of playing with James Rodriguez under Carlo Ancelotti was a difficult sell against playing for us in a Championship battle,  with half our support still convinced he’s playing out of position based on a loan spell at Shrewsbury😉
He’s a northern lad, he’s been good for us and this is a logical next step. We’ve also been handsomely rewarded financially. I wish him well and I’m praying for the hambag as it must be bursting at the seams right now. 

Agree and he’s been nothing but a model pro, not pushing for a move in the press but doing his publicity on the pitch. Good luck Ben.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We tried this square pegs **** last season and it was an effing disaster.

only because a spate of unprecedented injuries forced us to. Who is going to come here and be 5th choice centre back and actually improve us?

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Maybe poverty is the wrong word to use but they always give the impression that things are tight and every penny is accounted for in the self-financing plan.

Yes, COVID cost money but buying a lot of players before selling anyone is easier when the players you have to sell are worth one hell of a lot more than the ones you’re buying.

They have done previously but I dont think they have at any point during this transfer window.

Just now, Tetteys Jig said:

only because a spate of unprecedented injuries forced us to. Who is going to come here and be 5th choice centre back and actually improve us?

Then bring someone in as first choice CB as Godfrey was. All transfers should be an improvement on what we have.

31 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

but i think they were lucky we had Aarons Lewis Godfrey Cantwell at the club already

And the ability to convert the Murphy's and Maddison into cash, who were also already here.

Jury is still out on whether the club can consistently identify and bring in these gems. 

We seem to sign a lot of U23 players, but we spent £1m on Godfrey didn't we? And have we spent that much on a teenager since? I don't think so, Bushiri was a few hundred grand I think. 

McCallum, was he 19 when he signed? I guess we have then. But remains to be seen if any break through, Bushiri loaned out so not considered good enough yet?

Godfrey did have interest elsewhere.

I'd honestly be happy if Webber just went ahead and purchased 3 or 4 twenty year olds at £2m each if they were good enough to break into our squad down the line, and banked the rest of the cash.

My concern is that two or three terrible transfer windows leaves me worried about our recruitment this summer, I hope that players like Placheta shine but he looks so raw at the moment. 

And if Farke decides he's had enough and walks, then we have the added complication of needing to get his replacement right and hope that he can develop a player like Farke has for our youngsters. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1