Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Everton supposedly about to bid for Godfrey

25 minutes ago, CUSDP said:

A snip at £26m, will be annoyed if we let him go for that.

Really?

I'd bite their hand off. And so will the Club

1 hour ago, hurricane said:

I would be surprised if we go out and buy anyone. Hope I am proved wrong if we end up selling a couple more but get the feeling we won't.

Well The CB department will be a lot weaker 

Gibson great player at this level but not  played for 2 seasons 

Klose made of Glass 5 apps last season 

Hanley 24 games in two seasons injury prone 

Not looking Great a part from Zimmermann

12 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Agree but just can't see us spending, maybe a loan or two. Think it will be a season of transition given the player turnaround. Play offs at a push, mid table likely. Not seen anything yet that would convince me otherwise on the pitch. Funny old game though so who knows! 

23 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Because teams will know the sort of money we will have available,any player we want will double or triple in price. Rest assured,we will not be buying anyone until the January panic buying sessions. ....when it will be to late probably.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I bet someone will jump in and defend what could turn out to be a ridiculous situation to be in Capt.Pants.

Just maybe we will buy someone else.... 

Just a thought. 

7 minutes ago, hurricane said:

Agree but just can't see us spending, maybe a loan or two. Think it will be a season of transition given the player turnaround. Play offs at a push, mid table likely. Not seen anything yet that would convince me otherwise on the pitch. Funny old game though so who knows! 

You could be Right 

The club has a Golden Opportunity with the Money from Premiership and Transfers 

Never has the Club had as much money to push on if we stay in the Championship for 3/4/5 Seasons that money will be used up with little to show for it 

Reinvestment is Key for the plan to keep working 

with other clubs short of money ( so it seems ) due to Virus ,  this is Prime time to be buying top players from clubs  that might Not Normally sell 

Newcastle have now joined the race to sign Godfrey apparently, this could get a bit tasty if AC Milan or Roma follow up their reported interest too...

Am I right in thinking that SW said we wouldn’t sell all of the ‘crown jewels’?

With that in mind, I thought we’d lose half or so, but it’s beginning to look like they’re all off, with perhaps Buendia the quietest on the speculation front.

If that is the case, I will be amazed if we don’t see a few incomings this week to replace any that go - our scouting department must be working overtime right now.

1 hour ago, CUSDP said:

A snip at £26m, will be annoyed if we let him go for that.

Unashamedly nicked from TWTD....

Who nicked it from the Athletic....

.....last December.

"Norwich would want £50 million for Godfrey

Ben Godfrey’s performances for Norwich are not going unnoticed by a number of Europe’s top sides. Borussia Dortmund and Lyon, two clubs who like tapping into the English market, have made checks on the 21-year-old centre-back, while Tottenham and Arsenal are also keeping an eye on his progress this season.

But The Athletic understands that Godfrey is rated so highly by Norwich that they would want around £50 million from any buying club. That valuation is gauged by Harry Maguire costing Manchester United £85 million and Adam Webster, who had only played Championship football, joining Brighton for £20 million from Bristol City.

Godfrey is captain of England under-21s and expected to make the step up to the seniors at some stage, while club sources believe he has many of the attributes required to become an elite defender, including exceptional speed and temperament."

Personally I don’t see any further incomings even if we end up selling two or three more of our special five.

The buys/loans we have made are all pretty much in the areas where our most sought after talent play. Centre Half, Full backs and attacking midfielders. The only real exception to that is Skipp And Sorensen who were brought in to replace Trybull and Leitner.

SW is no fool. He will have planned for probable sales in those areas and bought cover before selling. Much more likely to pay a fair price before the selling club know you have received several million In sales.

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

So we have Hanley (injured) Klose (injured??) Zimmermann (ok) Gibson (barely played in 2 seasons). Bonkers to rely on that lot.

At LB we only have Quintilla, Byram injured longer than Covid and Aarons as cover and he may be off soon.

At RB we have Max but see above, and Mumba who's barely played in League One.

Beyond that we are looking at square pegs. Hardly a great position for a club supposedly chasing promotion.

Klose isn't injured at the moment and Hanley is nearly ready. We are in a better situation than we were at the same stage last season.  However, having said that, if Godfrey was to go then I would want to see us sign another oven ready centre half. 

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

This was always part of the Plan though wasn't it?

Buy low, sell high, give academy products the platform to grow and show their potential. Recruit new starlets for the academy, loan them out to get minutes in their legs before putting them in the first team and then selling them on for profit. Investing in the infrastructure, putting higher transfer fees and wage packages on the table for new signings and, step by step, blossoming, organically, into a club that can be cemented in the top 26 at worst.

If this Plan fails the only thing left is to find an invester like Wolves or Leicester OR accept a return to the boom and bust of NCFC 1995<.

It’s not a f**king plan it’s just a means of ensuring our wonderful owners can continue to own their plaything for years to come without putting any actual money in and continue to stonewall potential new owners.

we get a once in a generation crop of young players come through and what do we do? Attempt to establish ourselves in the top flight and build a team around them? No, we put in the most pathetic, disgustingly weak effort at staying up ever seen and then cash in on them all at the first opportunity. And many of our fans seem to be more excited by selling players to clubs who actually have ambition than anything that happens on the pitch. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hurricane said:

Season of transition not acceptable in any way, shape or form. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s not a f**king plan it’s just a means of ensuring our wonderful owners can continue to own their plaything for years to come without putting any actual money in and continue to stonewall potential new owners.

we get a once in a generation crop of young players come through and what do we do? Attempt to establish ourselves in the top flight and build a team around them? No, we put in the most pathetic, disgustingly weak effort at staying up ever seen and then cash in on them all at the first opportunity. And many of our fans seem to be more excited by selling players to clubs who actually have ambition than anything that happens on the pitch. 

Yes, I'm sure you're right. Webber and Farke are part of the conspiracy.

26 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

if Godfrey was to go then I would want to see us sign another oven ready centre half. 

Someone from Turkey maybe?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My understanding is we can only sign domestic players after October 5th. If we are looking for to sign from abroad then we need to sort it bleedin' quick. 

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

My understanding is we can only sign domestic players after October 5th. If we are looking for to sign from abroad then we need to sort it bleedin' quick. 

I think a few English players would not go a miss maybe the plan is to sell all the Crown Jewels and buy Sancho 

2 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

I think a few English players would not go a miss maybe the plan is to sell all the Crown Jewels and buy Sancho 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see some out of favour PL players come in on loan in the last week, similar to Gibson. 

Not sure what his attitude is like, but if we lose Todd then personally I’d like to see us go for Harvey Elliott from Liverpool on loan. A real talent and so far looks like he’s destined for another season of League Cup football. He’d smash the Championship.

And finally some confirmation -

Ancelotti said: "We are looking for a centre-back, we are short there.

"Godfrey is a really good centre-back but he plays, in this moment, for Norwich. I cannot say anymore."

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

"Godfrey is a really good centre-back but he plays, in this moment, for Norwich. I cannot say anymore."

He didn't say defensive midfield player?

• Haha 4

Sadly, that sounds ominous. Best of luck Big Ben, I wish you nothing but the best & I hope you play loads of games & fulfil your potential. 👍😢

As a side note has anyone been keeping tabs on Bushiri? Has he been playing much back in Belgium?

1 minute ago, paddycanary said:

Sadly, that sounds ominous. Best of luck Big Ben, I wish you nothing but the best & I hope you play loads of games & fulfil your potential. 👍😢

Sounds extremely ominous, Paddy. Some managers, rightfully at least in my opinion, do not think it’s respectful to talk about other clubs player's regarding transfer rumours. So Ancelotti’s clearly being as respectful as he can be, but I think it’s very clear what's going on here.

Ben, like Max, has not caused us any issues so he will go to Everton with most City supporters best wishes, although reluctantly as none of us want to see our best young talents leave. Again like Max, he has given his all and been very professional giving his all on the pitch. Can’t say fairer than that, and those boys will get a tremendous welcome the next time we face them.

However, Webber did say that we wouldn’t see all of the big 5 leave, so if the Godfrey transfer goes through, as is looking likely, then it’s going to be interesting (and perhaps not very pleasant) to see what happens with the others in these last few days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Ironically it will be Gibson who will benefit by Godfrey leaving...but I'm wondering if he's having a re-think about the 'project' he was sold upon signing for us??

I would imagine he’s more interested in starting for us against Derby this coming Saturday.

Not to mention, we may well see one or two incomings ourselves in the remaining days so...

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

As a side note has anyone been keeping tabs on Bushiri? Has he been playing much back in Belgium?

Been playing very well out there from what I’ve read, Indy.

Been playing very well out there from what I’ve read, Indy.

I really thought this would have been his breakthrough year, good on him if he’s getting game time, hopefully he’ll be our next big CB.

If Ben Godfrey goes to Everton why don't we ask for £25m plus either Tom Davies or Anthony Gordon on loan for a season with wages covered. Either one of those will help our forward play somewhat. Just thinking a bit outside the box

8 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

How things have changed Leeds used to be feeder club for us ( howson Johnson ,)  now we are a feeder club for bigger teams 

That’s testament to how well we spot and develop talent. 

• Like 1