Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Everton supposedly about to bid for Godfrey

One thing we have to do before we even consider accepting a bid is to look for decent players who we might consider signing to replace him. Can’t let any key players go without a possible replacement lined up first

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EFC_NO1 said:

Hi Guys,

Hearing we are about to sign Godfrey? Not heard much about him to be honest but a few guys on the Everton forum seem to rate him. Hopefully you'll get good money for him for whatever he's worth. Hopefully you come back up this year to lads, good crowd at Carrow road... bit of a journey but we always have a laugh when we get there.

Sorry for Naismith 🙂

He's better than John Stones if you believe @Indy_Bones. Literally no one else agrees though. 

But John Stones isn't a bad comparison. Lots of the same skill sets, but perhaps not quite as refined when he moved from you guys to Manchester. He's a good lad and I hope you treat him well 👍

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cantiaci Canary said:

I think we already have the replacements with 4 other CBs here already.

We bought before we sold this window I think.

Totally agree with this.

Zimm and Gibbo our first choice CB pairing if this turns out true.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Quick, athletic, very good passer (short and long) and a great attitude. Still needs to improve his positioning and reading of the game at the highest level, but there's every reason to think he will be able to do this with time and experience. 

We have a good bunch of under-23's at Everton coming through and we've dropped our average age to around 24.... so fingers crossed for him. I think it'll be good for him and for Norwich too.... with Covid-19 sucking the life out of clubs in the Prem and outside. Luckily we have an owner who's got the cash.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He's better than John Stones if you believe @Indy_Bones. Literally no one else agrees though. 

But John Stones isn't a bad comparison. Lots of the same skill sets, but perhaps not quite as refined when he moved from you guys to Manchester. He's a good lad and I hope you rest him well 👍

Hopefully our manager will weave his magic.... to be honest I didn't rate John Stones all that much, there plenty of mistakes in him

3 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I think we have the replacements with 4 other CBs here already.

Correct, always the plan it seems

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Totally agree with this.

As back up we have sicknote Hanley or sicknote Klose.

9 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Totally agree with this.

I actually thought Hanley, when up to speed, was our best centre back last season...probably not the greatest accolade, considering our defending collectively. Injuries aside, I'd play him and Gibson. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EFC_NO1 said:

Hopefully our manager will weave his magic.... to be honest I didn't rate John Stones all that much, there plenty of mistakes in him

I think Godfrey has mistakes in him too (mostly positional). But what he does very well is have that ability to pass the ball around and bring the ball out of defence. He works hard and is rarely injured too. I hope that step up in quality around him will challenge him to make the step up too.

He's truly got the potential to be an England international. And I haven't said that about too many of our players. Maybe the only one since James Madison. 

• Like 1

So we have Hanley (injured) Klose (injured??) Zimmermann (ok) Gibson (barely played in 2 seasons). Bonkers to rely on that lot.

At LB we only have Quintilla, Byram injured longer than Covid and Aarons as cover and he may be off soon.

At RB we have Max but see above, and Mumba who's barely played in League One.

Beyond that we are looking at square pegs. Hardly a great position for a club supposedly chasing promotion.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

So we have Hanley (injured) Klose (injured??) Zimmermann (ok) Gibson (barely played in 2 seasons). Bonkers to rely on that lot.

At LB we only have Quintilla, Byram injured longer than Covid and Aarons as cover and he may be off soon.

Beyond that we are looking at square pegs. Hardly a great position for a club supposedly chasing promotion.

I bet someone will jump in and defend what could turn out to be a ridiculous situation to be in Capt.Pants.

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I don't want any equivocation over this; losing Godfrey is a massive blow to the overall quality levels in our squad. 

But injury prone or not, we have players to cover this position and I would be surprised if we bought a replacement.

Hopefully there won't be a clear out of your talent in this window.... being an Evertonian of some years, I know what it's like when we've struggled in the past, it was never great seeing young talent leave like Rooney, Stones, Barkley, Lukaku and Fellani leaving. Hopefully they'll be less of it with this manager.

Good luck for the season, hope you come up.... you wouldn't be believe it but my last name is kinnair.... (canaries) my nickname in school was "canary"... maybe it was because i had a big nose too .....he, he

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

I actually thought Hanley, when up to speed, was our best centre back last season...probably not the greatest accolade, considering our defending collectively. Injuries aside, I'd play him and Gibson. 

I'd agree. I always worry about players who miss pre season though. I always think they're playing catch up.

5 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Can you tell me why Hanley is yet to even make the bench this season then? Personally I think he’s good enough to. Why were there so many different CB partnerships last season? What’s a serious issue that’s often brought up regarding our CBs? What’s the difference between Godfrey and the rest of our CBs?

Please also bear in mind that one of the CBs we currently have in the squad is only here on loan, and to sign him on a permanent deal we have to win promotion

6 minutes ago, EFC_NO1 said:

Hopefully there won't be a clear out of your talent in this window.... being an Evertonian of some years, I know what it's like when we've struggled in the past, it was never great seeing young talent leave like Rooney, Stones, Barkley, Lukaku and Fellani leaving. Hopefully they'll be less of it with this manager.

Good luck for the season, hope you come up.... you wouldn't be believe it but my last name is kinnair.... (canaries) my nickname in school was "canary"... maybe it was because i had a big nose too .....he, he

How refreshing to see a sane, likable and down to earth supporter from another footy club post on here!

It hasn't been that way for a while. 

One of the big losses of lockdown has been chatting to opposition fans in the pub or on the pilgrimage to the match who 'get it'.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary

29 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Well we say goodbye to any chance of promotion if 3 more gems leave without replacing them with some real quality. 

30 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

But John Stones isn't a bad comparison. Lots of the same skill sets, but perhaps not quite as refined when he moved from you guys to Manchester. He's a good lad and I hope you treat him well 👍

Come on TY, just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean that others don't, nor indeed that others may agree with you as well, it's simply personal opinion.

I've never rated Stones anywhere near the hype or transfer fees he's received, and as the friendly Everton fan points out, he's always got a mistake in him - much like Bassong, Doherty and a number of our other defenders over the years who could be good for large sections then make an awful error and cost us a goal, but none of them cost 50 million!

Godfrey's passing is defnitely superior to Stones, I think he's quicker and more agile, and far better at moving up to support the midfield. Stones has the benefit of experience at present as well as having the chance to play alongside some very good players whereas Godfrey has struggled to have a settled partnership with a truly great teammate to help him develop.

I still maintain that 25mil is too low based on all the factors previously mentioned, but do concede that maybe my original value of 40 mil + addons was too high. 30 mil + addons would be my preferred position, but I doubt the club would turn down 25 + addons either...

20 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I don't want any equivocation over this; losing Godfrey is a massive blow to the overall quality levels in our squad. 

But injury prone or not, we have players to cover this position and I would be surprised if we bought a replacement.

Oh great another season with Tettey playing at CB, becuase our manager relied on injury prone players, who for last couple of seasons have been....,wait for it.....injured for long period at a time!

I was hoping Godfrey & Gibson would be our 1st choice paring this season. I'd hate that we make exactly the same presumptions and mistakes as last season and relied on our CB's who are very regularly injured!

We have to strengthen if Godfrey goes.

48 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

If we lose Godfrey, and with Famewo going out on loan, after last years horror story with injuries we'd be bonkers to rely on Hanley & Klose, with just Gibson (is he match fit) and Zimm our only fit central defenders

Not another season hoping Tettey and untried Sorenson to play back up please!

We will get someone in.

37 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Kit man is always up for it

53 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

One thing we have to do before we even consider accepting a bid is to look for decent players who we might consider signing to replace him. Can’t let any key players go without a possible replacement lined up first

I expect that may have occurred to SW.

A snip at £26m, will be annoyed if we let him go for that. 

but we don’t need to sell so let’s not panic. We’ve been reassured that we won’t sell all the assets. 

oh wait...

Well 5 days and counting, looks like all rumours without substance, as loans would be an absolute nonsense! 

Hopefully Buendia will get to start against Derby, with Idah up top and two wingers in Placheta and Hernandez.

Would like to see Godfrey, Buendia and Aarons here on the 6th, if we do have to sell I Hope Cantwell would be the one.

16 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

We will get someone in.

I hoped we'd get someone in last season, and we ended up playing a £12m midfielder and Tettey there for chunks, played tag team rest of season between the injury prone duo

You have too much faith, but lets hope SW has sense and has been watching replacements ready

58 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Indeed. And Gibson who hasn't played for God knows how long... If we do sell Ben and go in with those four CB options I suspect we're doomed to repeat the failures of last season barring a huge upswing in our luck.

This was always part of the Plan though wasn't it?

Buy low, sell high, give academy products the platform to grow and show their potential. Recruit new starlets for the academy, loan them out to get minutes in their legs before putting them in the first team and then selling them on for profit. Investing in the infrastructure, putting higher transfer fees and wage packages on the table for new signings and, step by step, blossoming, organically, into a club that can be cemented in the top 26 at worst.

If this Plan fails the only thing left is to find an invester like Wolves or Leicester OR accept a return to the boom and bust of NCFC 1995<.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary