Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Everton supposedly about to bid for Godfrey

5 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

I see Bournemouth want £50 million for Brookes, how much does that make Cantwell worth ?

£30m for his Alice Band + £10 for his ponytail .........done deal 😜

• Sad 1

Of course there’s also the coming season to consider, Covid impact to this years finances, we might need to sell in the future to cover cost at reduced price, if we carry on mid table form all the players mentioned won’t have the value they have this window.

I’m not happy to lose all five but it might end up that way, it’s more who we can get in, if we lave it to last couple days and then sell all four without decent replacements it’s going to be a tougher season than it is now that’s for sure.

11 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

I see Bournemouth want £50 million for Brookes, how much does that make Cantwell worth ?

What they want and what they get are two different things. We asked £50m for Godfrey initially. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

If so, where do you draw the line or do we let all 5 go? 

Yes.

That is our place in the food chain, you can't keep players against their will anymore and in any case it is not fair to stand in the way of young men doubling their money, extending contract length and playing at the highest level.

I suspect the Gibson was bought as Godfrey's replacement in any case.

The bigger question is in CovidWorld where that leaves the club. Will the cash just keep it afloat, or could it be splurged on other EFL's fire sales?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

Not at that price.

40 mil + addons and not a penny less.

Absolutely no chance. NCFC will let him and all the others go.  With the club talking two weeks ago of a 12m shortfall without crowds, that figure will grow and grow with it now being suggested no crowds this season. We are a self funding club, and there is probably little option but to sell assets as quickly as they can to cover losses and wages over the coming months.

Selling all our best young players, we will end up with a team best  to a mid to lower champ team with very little money in the pot

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Tell us what, exactly.  We all know that all players have a price - and that applies to each and every player at each and every club.  You don’t need to have any degree of pessimism to realise that a relegated club might sell some players - it shows no insight at all. 

Incorrect I saw through the lies

8 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Absolutely no chance. NCFC will let him and all the others go.  With the club talking two weeks ago of a 12m shortfall without crowds, that figure will grow and grow with it now being suggested no crowds this season. We are a self funding club, and there is probably little option but to sell assets as quickly as they can to cover losses and wages over the coming months.

We sold Lewis , for 15 million +

if we sold Emi Aarons Godfrey and Cantwell say 20 million each ,That is approx £95 million in play sales 

plus we have the sky Money coming in , we were debt free at the start of the season ?

i think we will see how serious the club is about going straight back up with how much they are willing to reinvest  in the coming days 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rabbit hole said:

Incorrect I saw through the lies

Wow. You do realise that nearly everyone on the planet assumed we’d probably sell 3 of our ‘main’ players?  We’ve currently sold just one, so none of us are right, yet.

Edited by Branston Pickle

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wow. You do realise that nearly everyone on the planet assumed we’d probably sell 3 of our ‘main’ players?  We’ve currently sold just one, so none of us are right, yet.

It’s ok for both of us to be correct Branston. I’m not here trying to score points

36 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Brentford get £33 million for Watkins, who'd never played a top flight game I his life, and we're selling off the family jewels at £15 millionish a pop 🙄

Not quite. They got an initial £28 million with possibly another £5 million in add ons.  £4 million went to Exeter who had a sell on clause when they sold Watkins to Brentford.

So in reality Brentford got £24 million. Still not bad  mind you. 

2 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

Not at that price.

40 mil + addons and not a penny less.

£40mil is unrealistic.

£25m is a sensible price for a player who, let's be honest, can be replaced with players in our squad already. 

Sounds nuts to say it after last season but with Gibson, Hanley and Klose all fit the superb Godfrey is probably our most easily replaceable "star". Still think we should be asking £25m plus significant add-ons though.

We certainly shouldn’t undervalue a ball playing centre half with terrific pace capable of stepping out with the ball and even popping up with the occasional screamer. £40m would be a good starting position. 

Trouble is we've shot ourselves in the foot with Cantwell and Buendia and weakened our negotiating position. Farke either has to do a U-turn and include them in the squad, or they continue their strops and don't play. If they don't want to play, or Farke won't change his mind, we'll need to sell at a what we can get price rather face continued disruption in the camp.

If we hold out for an extra big fee for Godfrey he can just do the same as Todd, and Emi and it will be a right shambles.

Looks like all 5 are leaving though.

32 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

£40mil is unrealistic.

£25m is a sensible price for a player who, let's be honest, can be replaced with players in our squad already. 

Except it isn't - in all cases.

We CANNOT replace Godfrey with anyone in our squad, as NONE of our central defenders are even close to his level of ball playing ability and technique, nor his ability to move up into the midfield as needed.

If you'd said one of Zimmermann, Klose, Gibson or Hanley as being replaceable by one of the others, I'd fully agree, but Godfrey is a completely different kettle of fish to any of them.

A solid PL standard defender will set you back 15-25 mil, a 22 year old ball playing English centre back will cost substantially more, and you only have to look at the transfer fees of players like Ake, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka to see the sort of prices players easily fetch.

Hell, John Stones went for near on 50 mil, and I'd take Godfrey over him every day of the week!

I think the price for Lewis was fair and respectfully he was arguably the least talented out of the 'big 5' and we still got around 20 mil for him including the addons, so suggesting that Godfrey is only worth 5 mil more is ludicrous IMHO.

I guess the club are also privy to a bit more information than us to judge the finances of other clubs as well as our own. Could we get more last season? Is there potential that we would need to sell next season if we didnt get promoted and fans still couldn't get promoted? I'd think not but I dont know. 

From a strictly footballing perspective, Everton would be ideal for Godfrey. No way in the world is he (yet) this 'world class centre back' that Farke bangs on about and if he went to Man United or Arsenal for example then EVERY mistake would be hyped up in the media. Flip side is that EVERY decent game would make him the 2020's Bobby Moore!

Everton are the next rung down the PL ladder and always seem to be well under the radar of the media as the poor, misguided journalists sweep past the old fashioned Goodison Park and gaze in awe at the towering main stand of Anfield sitting atop the slope of Stanley Park. He would have the ideal manager there to develop him and if does make the progress expected then in two or three years time one of the so called 'massive' clubs (and that's not Leeds by the way) may shell out mega bucks for him. Who knows Ancelotti may even see him as a defensive or 'box to box' midfielder. Now there's a thought!  

• Like 3

We need to go up Again before the money from these sales is used up in the championship 

Webber said the PL money was Pss up the wall when he got here 

Mr Webber  Has the PL money and crown jewel money  so we will see where he takes us Before he leaves 

57 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

We CANNOT replace Godfrey with anyone in our squad, as NONE of our central defenders are even close to his level of ball playing ability and technique, nor his ability to move up into the midfield as needed.

If you'd said one of Zimmermann, Klose, Gibson or Hanley as being replaceable by one of the others, I'd fully agree, but Godfrey is a completely different kettle of fish to any of them.

A solid PL standard defender will set you back 15-25 mil, a 22 year old ball playing English centre back will cost substantially more, and you only have to look at the transfer fees of players like Ake, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka to see the sort of prices players easily fetch.

Hell, John Stones went for near on 50 mil, and I'd take Godfrey over him every day of the week!

I think the price for Lewis was fair and respectfully he was arguably the least talented out of the 'big 5' and we still got around 20 mil for him including the addons, so suggesting that Godfrey is only worth 5 mil more is ludicrous IMHO.

I agree with you about value, but you are missing the value of experience. Godfrey has the lot, but still makes mistakes, lacks concentration etc. You could say the experience and solidity of Hanley or Gibson is even more valuable at this level.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

So are you saying that we allow any of them to go if the asking price is met? Even if we've already sold 3 or 4 of the others?

If there value is met 100%, they would all leave.

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

A solid PL standard defender will set you back 15-25 mil, a 22 year old ball playing English centre back will cost substantially more, and you only have to look at the transfer fees of players like Ake, Maguire,  Wan-Bissaka to see the sort of prices players easily fetch.

Except it is. Very obviously. To the extent I don't get how this is an argument.

Let's get the obvious lunacy out of the way. Comparing Ben Godfrey to John Stones is like comparing Chad Kroeger of Nickelback to James Hetfield of Metallica. Both have their fans. Both are good musicians. One has a decided better pedigree in rock music than the other. They're in different leagues. 

Then to go and compare Godfrey to Ake, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka (which is really baffling given he's a right back) and you are absolutely talking nonsense.

Let's look at some realistic comparisons, shall we?

Adam Webster. Moved from Bristol to Brighton. £20m.
Ben Gibson. Moved from Boro to Burnley. £9m.
Alfie Mawson. Moved from Swansea to Fulham. £13.5m.

These are realistic comparisons. You're absolutely off your rocker if you think any side is going to look at Ben Godfrey of Norwich City, who have conceded 132 goals in two years and think he's a player we're going to place in the same league as Ake, Maguire and John Stones.

My view is £25mil is a very good price for Godfrey, and I'm talking about that, or close to that, up front. I would not take £15m, or £20m without very substantial add ons. If we got £25mill, we would be foolish to turn that down, especially given a back four of Zimm, Gibson, Hanley and Klose is more than adequate for life in the Championship, which again, is where we are at.  

Edited by Terminally Yellow

9 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

If there value is met 100%, they would all leave.

And that's the absolute truth of a self funding club. Every player has his price. We won't sell for under that price - that defeats the whole project - but we will sell as soon as that value is hit. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

11 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

a back four of Zimm, Gibson, Hanley and Klose is more than adequate for life in the Championship, which again, is where we are at.  

Gibson has not played 1st team football since January 2019 so a question mark over his fitness surely ?

Hanley injury prone.

Klose injury prone.

I look forward to seeing Tettey at CB at some stage of the season if you think that will see us through 46 games.

It's not about whether or not another defender could do a job defensively, it's about the inherent value in a defender who does more than just defend, something which is a premium and carries far more value in the PL than it does in the champs.

Also to clarify, Gibson cost 15 million not 9, and all three of the defenders you've listed are just that - defenders, they aren't ball playing defenders with the ability to move comfortably with the ball into midfield.

Take the comparison between Rio and Vidic, both great defenders, and an excellent pairing, but it was Rio that looked to play the ball from defence, it was Rio that took the ball out of defence, and it was Rio that cost Man Utd 30+ million compared to Vidic costing 7 million.

You ALWAYS pay a premium for homegrown talent, you ALWAYS pay a premium for a defender that can do more than just defend, you ALWAYS pay a premium with a young player with proven potential, and Godfrey hits all three of those factors easily, as well as being able to play in midfield if wanted/required.

He may not have huge experience so far, but experience will be earned, and he will continue to develop as a player over the next 5-10 years, even more so if playing alongside stronger teammates than he currently is.

Finally, I stand by my opinion that Godfrey is a better player than Stones who has clearly shown at Man City that even in a side of world class players, he's distinctly average and can't hold down a first team place which is why they continue to bring in central defenders like they did Laporte, and even a 19 year old Garcia is preferred to him. He's also continually failed to impress on International duty as well.

The only sad part for me will be if the players going to clubs who could well swap places with us.

(Yes I know Leeds have won two games already. And? They thought we were the dog's whatsisnames this time last season)

Godfrey to Fulham would have been short sighted for our club as well as him.