Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Controversial post

I think they are interchangeable.  

We do urgently need more creativity alongside whichever of them plays though. 

In terms of Sunday yes, Ive never felt Rupp a bad player, solid but unspectacular. But yeah, he was linking up with Hernandez well and didn't really put a foot wrong whilst we controlled the ball for most of the game. There in lies the problem, we controlled possession whilst not managing to really carve out serious chances. Pukki isolated and the wingers sending crosses in or cutting inside to take pot shots from outside the box. It has to be Rupp or McClean, theres not enough creativity in the middle with both. 

McClean needs a rest, or move on (please)

No where near good enough - with his 14 month performances on the pitch

Farke needs to get real with McClean total  lack of ability - or sell him for peanuts

That is a little harsh. 

I would argue Kenny is a jack of all trades, master of none. His level is mid to low championship. Certainly nothing to get excited about and, whilst he works hard, is too light weight physically to step beyond this level. 

Rupp gets around and does the thankless tasks in midfield but has no creativity on the ball. Again bang average champs player 

McLean has been absolutely dire since the original restart. I don’t think he’s a bad player but if Farke is picking players based on form, which is what he’s said, then how can Kenny keep getting picked?!

McLean - sell him, or get him to understand he is a decent Champ player at best

To be fair - at his top form - he is a decent Championship player - nothing more

I would SELL him asap

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Rupp did quite well on sunday in my opinion.

People need to remember that Rupp signed in January - a notoriously difficult time for players to join and hit the ground running - having not played much football before that due to injury. 

Rupp and McLean are decent players but, as mentioned above, they're not the ones who are going to get 10 goals/assists every season. They are reliable players though - professionals who are technically sound, tactically aware and not going to be weak defensively, maybe like Vrancic and Leitner are. They're not going to set the world alight but they will be solid most weeks in the Championship.

• Like 2

Didn't Eric Cantona once refer to Didier Deschamps as the 'water carrier'? The member of a team who did all the stuff that no-one else had to do, else had to be done by someone but was normally the height of their responsibilities?

All teams need at least one of them. Mucking in, doing the jobs no-one else wants to do, making life more comfortable for the flair players, the pacy ones, the clever ones.

Deschamp did that for France. You didn't notice him as much as you did Zidane and Djorkaeff because of it. but they couldn't have done what they did without Deschamps.

Are Rupp and McLean our 'water carriers'? There to do that job-but in need of an Emi or similar around them to be as effective at their role as he is at his.

Football likes its personality players, the ones who stand out. Its why James Milner is "boring" and Gareth Barry's retirement went past unnoticed. Rupp and McLean muck in so are reckoned to be ineffective?

My gripe with both Kenny and Rupp is that of late they haven;t been effective, even in the roles they are being asked to do. Rupp was giving the ball away far too much and Kenny was also. In addition, the latter hasn;t really been giving a huge amount of defensive screening to the defence and was being too eaily bye-passed.. So yes whilst i would agree that they are in the team to do a slightky "unsung" role which doesn;t usually attract the same paudits as those who score goals, I still don;t feel they have been doing it very well.

Rupp was a lot better on Sunday and Kenny was a bit better but for me there is only room for one of them in the team (indeed personally i wouldn't have either) if we want to retain enough creativity. i understand that Sunday was not normal circumstances though. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Sorry for all the typos. My keyboard keeps sticking!

Try covering it before watching 'adult material'.

• Haha 1

@Yellow and Green is absolutely right re. the signing period. Rupp's come in during the January window, which is notoriously difficult to hit the ground running. He's also come back off a bad injury if I recall correctly - and moved to another country to a struggling team to boot.

I thought he was one of our best players on Sunday, Skipp being our MOM. He's had several good games where his defensive diligence and work rate have given us greater solidity as a team (Newcastle away, Liverpool at home, Man Utd in the cup last season, to name but three). I'd agree with those who'd take him over McLean - there's definitely a very tidy player in there if he gets the games.

I'd like the same formation against Derby, but replace McLean with either Stiepermann or Vrancic. If we're making a defensive switch, let Gibson play ahead of Zimmermann.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2