Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Gradually Falling Out Of Love With The Game

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

First catch didn’t take long, eh Tilly ? 😉

Indeed Graham and it came with no surprises. 😂

Hopefully the OP likes other sports. Rugby maybe. It's just a lot of negatives have happened all at the wrong time and the envitable changes increase the longer you go on.

In Farke we trust,

• Like 1

Interesting thread and a lot of it resonates.

The two sports I follow the most are football and NFL. On Sunday, for the first time I can remember, I was more frustrated by a poor result for my NFL team than I was for Norwich losing. In part this is because I gave up my season ticket a couple of seasons ago and the distance leads to detachment. 

However I also found last season the most dispiriting in my time supporting Norwich. Not because we got relegated but because of what it said about our place in football and the game more widely.

Norwich City have a glass ceiling and we keep bumping up against it without breaking through. The money in football combined with our general lack of it means we have a 'place' in the hierarchy and we've pretty much found the top end of it. 

So people react in different ways. Some blame the owners and wish for more spending (an opinion I'm not unsympathetic to). Some see it all as part of longer term plan to break through this glass ceiling (which requires a leap of faith that I personally struggle to make). Some can be zen and remove themselves from the bigger picture and just enjoy it game by game (and I envy these people). 

I don't quite know where I sit now but I know I've not watched a single minute of our games this season and only listened to one on the radio- this would have been unthinkable 12 months ago but it feels the norm now.

• Like 4