Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Gradually Falling Out Of Love With The Game

I don't know if its' the fact that we can't watch live football or not.

But seeing the sham, of a farce, of a travesty that the game is becoming means my love of the game is on the slide.

Don't get me wrong, being Norwich born and bred, I love the City, the area, and my football club - and always will. But seeing what is happening to the game is just turning me off. VAR will be the death of football unless it is radically overhauled or even scrapped - although have come this far and spent sooo much money I don't think anyone can be seen to 'lose face' over the charade. If the faceless wonders running our game think this what the fans want they are sadly wrong. It is not working full stop, and I'm finding some of the Refereeing to be embarrassing. the fact that common sense has now been withdrawn means the fans are being seriously short changed. Penalties are being given where no players are appealing for the decision. The handball decisions are ludicrous, all you needed at Tottenham yesterday was a crocodile with a string of sausages in its mouth, running across the penalty area and the Punch and Judy show would have been complete. In the old days it was simple, if the ball struck your hand or arm and there was no intent to block or propel the ball forward it was not handball.

We saw first hand last season that VAR is not for the smaller clubs, Pukki's goal against Spurs being disallowed because his eyebrows were past the last defenders. That is a complete nonsense, the decision was so close no assistant Ref could have spotted that with normal vision - and that's probably why he didn't flag for it. And again there was no appeal from the defenders. I always though forwards were given the benefit of the doubt to encourage attacking play, pulling them back for millimetres might be the correct decision, but that's something we've never had, and even then is it actually right?

Now, with lots of rumours about Buendia and Cantwell swirling around I don't know if we'll ever hear exactly what is going on with them two. If, as some have suggested they have 'downed tools' they are being very badly advised. And this is another problem with our game...Agents. There is now so much money swilling around the top end and too many people being greedy to claim their 10%. My advice to them two would be don't believe the hype. if you are as good as you think you are you would already be at a bigger club, there hasn't been a stampede for your services yet - but I do realise this is no ordinary transfer window.

The money - coupled with the appalling VAR - is tightening the big clubs grip on the game.  So the chance of us finishing in the top half of the Prem is virtually nil.

Edited by First Wazzock
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I fell out of love with football about 2002. I don't pay for sky sports, BT sport or any of the other "sports". If people who don't support Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or Liverpool all did the same we would be back to a fairly level playing field quite quickly.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

some sad & hard truths there FW. For me the root of it all is the outrageous amounts of money that swirl around the game now. Maybe we could blame Rupert Murdoch, but Todd Cantwell wasn't even born when Sky dug their talons into the sport! Is it even a sport anymore?

• Like 1

I can understand a lot of those points @First Wazzock because it's all become a bit cynical.  The top 6 or 7 will always be the top 6 or 7 and the whole media narrative follows. 

I would throw in for extra measure the meaningless platitudes spouted by the footballing intelligentia (well...I 'm being sarcastic...I mean pundits). I get so bored of the same old hackneyed tripe, such as the in-game analysis and managers' after match thoughts.

I guess that's why non-league is interesting. I have a mate who has virtually not missed a Halifax Town match for decades! Yet, I get why he goes. It's about community.

Talking about community, in recent times the whole scene has taken me into other parts of this forum (non footballing parts!). At least there is the music, a bit of nature and perhaps a little politics.

• Like 1

Totally agree with all the above, add the football agent and companies now involved with moving footballers around to gain their cut and it’s a ****e situation.

Is modern football really that entertaining to watch, not for me outside watching a Norwich and Oxford I only watch highlights if I can be bothered.

But football isn’t alone, sport in general is now grossly overrated in terms of monetary values and pretty boring to watch bar a few exceptions.

America does do it better with fixed rosters, wages structures and drafted meaning a more level playing field. Still very much obscenely over paid though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I fell out of love with football about 2002. I don't pay for sky sports, BT sport or any of the other "sports". If people who don't support Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or Liverpool all did the same we would be back to a fairly level playing field quite quickly.

I have Sky Sports but mostly for the cricket, and I think their cricket coverage is streets ahead of any other broadcaster.

I've never really agreed with blaming Sky for football's position. It's up to football how it spends the cash it receives. Sky has given football an amazing financial opportunity and platform. 

Agree with a lot of this. The way VAR is being used is almost beyond words to describe and the handball rules are almost as bad - and in combination, it is just incomprehensible that anyone can think this is helping the game in any way.  With the lack of fans making football an empty and depressing experience, we need the football we are seeing to be a beacon of normality and inspiration - but VAR and the officialdom is actually making things worse. 

I do think that what they've got wrong with VAR is pretty clear. Instead of fitting VAR around the rules of football, they've changed the rules of football to facilitate VAR. 

There seems to be no room for referees to take a judgment anymore. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

I have Sky Sports but mostly for the cricket, and I think their cricket coverage is streets ahead of any other broadcaster.

I've never really agreed with blaming Sky for football's position. It's up to football how it spends the cash it receives. Sky has given football an amazing financial opportunity and platform. 

It's been years since any cricket has been available on free to air TV in the UK. Sky is pretty much  the only channel in the UK that covers live cricket so by default they will be "streets" ahead of any broadcaster. Its like saying City are the best football team in Norfolk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

It's been years since any cricket has been available on free to air TV in the UK. Sky is pretty much  the only channel in the UK that covers live cricket so by default they will be "streets" ahead of any broadcaster. Its like saying City are the best football team in Norfolk.

Well I was referring to BT Sport who've had various recent away series, particularly a deal to show Australia's home series, as well as foreign broadcasters such as Channel 9 and the host coverage of the IPL provide by an Indian broadcaster. Also looking back at how superior Sky's coverage is to that provided by the BBC and Channel 4 (who often canned the cricket to show horse racing in the afternoon - is it any wonder Sky took the rights?).

But thanks for your condescension! 

2 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Well I was referring to BT Sport who've had various recent away series, particularly a deal to show Australia's home series, as well as foreign broadcasters such as Channel 9 and the host coverage of the IPL provide by an Indian broadcaster. Also looking back at how superior Sky's coverage is to that provided by the BBC and Channel 4 (who often canned the cricket to show horse racing in the afternoon - is it any wonder Sky took the rights?).

But thanks for your condescension! 

No condescension meant, I was just pointing out if you are paying sky, bt, espn, star or whatever broadcaster pays millions so you pay your monthly subscription you are part of the problem not the solution. Professional sport is a spectator event and now that we can't spectate it leads into the tv corporations hands, but maybe that's the point?

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

1 hour ago, city4eva said:

Sums up pretty much how I feel.  That handball against Spurs..WTF

My whole perspective on football changed in a certain spurs game too, when Pukki was given the most ridiculous offside decision I have seen. It showed that the favouritism was there for everyone to see.

There are many thought provoking comments on this topic. What i would say is that society is in a constant process of evolution changing gradually all the time with its attitudes, loves, hates ad prejudices and everything that links in with society for example sport and entertainment changes with it. The longer people have been about the more change we have seen some of it for the better some not and that is subjective. I started going to football for the first time as a 13 year old boy in Sheffield in1970. There was not a parent in sight i went with my mates from school, it was as cheap as chips to get in but football grounds were dangerous places the violence people saw going to games at that time was incredible. When there were large crowds some spectators who were all standing and crammed in like sardines used to **** on the people in front of them because they could not get out to the loo. I was at Hillsborough the day Elton John then in charge of Watford came out as gay and the homophobic chants of the crowd were horrific. we move on  as we went to all seating after various disasters, the prices gradually went up and it became a more family orientated past time and now living in Norwich from 1978 i was happy to take my young children, going to the football was a way of life , mixed in with otherday today events and part of the social calendar. The game has changed more money in it at the top and  mouth watering salaries and transfer fees. Our championship winning season two years ago was one of the most enjoyable that i can ever remember. Last season with the exception of the odd game was the most  unenjoyable i can remember summed up as others say with VAR the Pukki goal that was not against spurs and the retaken penalty v Arsenal.The COVID came along a once in a century development that non of us have experienced before. Watching games on TV is not the same, for the first time in our lives we cannot go to games even if we want to with no return any time soon. The social calendar is broken, coming is a habit not coming could be a habit too only time will tell

Edited by Yorkshire Canary
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

I don't know if its' the fact that we can't watch live football or not.

But seeing the sham, of a farce, of a travesty that the game is becoming means my love of the game is on the slide.

Don't get me wrong, being Norwich born and bred, I love the City, the area, and my football club - and always will. But seeing what is happening to the game is just turning me off. VAR will be the death of football unless it is radically overhauled or even scrapped - although have come this far and spent sooo much money I don't think anyone can be seen to 'lose face' over the charade. If the faceless wonders running our game think this what the fans want they are sadly wrong. It is not working full stop, and I'm finding some of the Refereeing to be embarrassing. the fact that common sense has now been withdrawn means the fans are being seriously short changed. Penalties are being given where no players are appealing for the decision. The handball decisions are ludicrous, all you needed at Tottenham yesterday was a crocodile with a string of sausages in its mouth, running across the penalty area and the Punch and Judy show would have been complete. In the old days it was simple, if the ball struck your hand or arm and there was no intent to block or propel the ball forward it was not handball.

We saw first hand last season that VAR is not for the smaller clubs, Pukki's goal against Spurs being disallowed because his eyebrows were past the last defenders. That is a complete nonsense, the decision was so close no assistant Ref could have spotted that with normal vision - and that's probably why he didn't flag for it. And again there was no appeal from the defenders. I always though forwards were given the benefit of the doubt to encourage attacking play, pulling them back for millimetres might be the correct decision, but that's something we've never had, and even then is it actually right?

Now, with lots of rumours about Buendia and Cantwell swirling around I don't know if we'll ever hear exactly what is going on with them two. If, as some have suggested they have 'downed tools' they are being very badly advised. And this is another problem with our game...Agents. There is now so much money swilling around the top end and too many people being greedy to claim their 10%. My advice to them two would be don't believe the hype. if you are as good as you think you are you would already be at a bigger club, there hasn't been a stampede for your services yet - but I do realise this is no ordinary transfer window.

The money - coupled with the appalling VAR - is tightening the big clubs grip on the game.  So the chance of us finishing in the top half of the Prem is virtually nil.

Good post Waz. Football itself appears to be unable to find solutions to obvious problems. Diving (was there contact?) , VAR ( don’t embarrass the ref) , coaches turning a blind eye to their own players cheating . All of these things could be solved but the game won’t allow them to be . 

I’ve lost my footballing mojo and have done for a while now. Being a bad loser doesn’t help of course. 

• Like 3

A financial crash in football would be the best thing that could happen, as long as it effects the Liverpools, Man Utds as well.

Reading of players earning £300k + per week whilst fans cannot go to matches and smaller clubs being on the brink of extinction is quite galling.

• Like 2

Spot on Waz. It's dying a rather swift death here too. I dumped Sky Sports last season and haven't missed it at all....and had subscribed since the very beginning. My general interest in the game is so non existent now that I only realise games have been played when I log onto the BBC Sport website in the mornings and see the results, I wasn't aware that Liverpool and Arsenal were playing last night until late on, and that was only because I was looking for something else.

Transfers and transfer gossip is a wholly separate industry in the game with websites and page after page of speculation and analysis produced daily, tedious beyond compare but making people a good living so its here to stay. As for football agents? Don't get me started. Suffice to say they're ****ing up the game royally and getting ever more powerful with it. My guess is, and its only a guess, that Cantwell and Buendia's agents have been interrupting training and distracting things at Colney, hence Farke's rage.

I don't see this season even finishing because of Covid to be honest, the expectation it will run its full and normal course is highly optimistic.

As for lots of smaller clubs, even some bigger and more well known ones going bust, the big clubs, suits and influencers can wring their hands and offer up crocodile tears all they like at the prospect. In reality a slimmed down game and league structure will suit a lot of people and they're more than ready to champion it-including a ring fenced PL which will be with us by 2025 at the latest.

I would suggest going to watch some local football. I started watching Wroxham last season and will be there for their top of the table clash with Kirkley and Pakefield tonight. It’s  football without all the nonsense and you can have a beer at the side of the pitch if you want ! After tonight’s game I would have been to four games and it comes to just under £30. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

Spot on Waz. It's dying a rather swift death here too. I dumped Sky Sports last season and haven't missed it at all....and had subscribed since the very beginning. My general interest in the game is so non existent now that I only realise games have been played when I log onto the BBC Sport website in the mornings and see the results, I wasn't aware that Liverpool and Arsenal were playing last night until late on, and that was only because I was looking for something else.

Transfers and transfer gossip is a wholly separate industry in the game with websites and page after page of speculation and analysis produced daily, tedious beyond compare but making people a good living so its here to stay. As for football agents? Don't get me started. Suffice to say they're ****ing up the game royally and getting ever more powerful with it. My guess is, and its only a guess, that Cantwell and Buendia's agents have been interrupting training and distracting things at Colney, hence Farke's rage.

I don't see this season even finishing because of Covid to be honest, the expectation it will run its full and normal course is highly optimistic.

As for lots of smaller clubs, even some bigger and more well known ones going bust, the big clubs, suits and influencers can wring their hands and offer up crocodile tears all they like at the prospect. In reality a slimmed down game and league structure will suit a lot of people and they're more than ready to champion it-including a ring fenced PL which will be with us by 2025 at the latest.

I'd be quite happy for the Premier League to be ring fenced. As long as we're not in it.

Like many others on this thread I am becoming disillusioned with the game. Partly money based but also VAR and stupid new rules to fix problems that didn't exist in the first place. 

I've watched a lot of German football in the last couple of years. It's better than the Premier League. The main reason is probably the fact that they only have one governing body whereas we have three which means that everything is done for the good of the game as a whole. But they have also managed to make VAR work whereas we have failed miserably. 

I’m no expert but maybe the big clubs swanning off to a European super-league might improve things here too? They can fixate over the TV-friendly features like VAR, as they try and grow the global audience, leaving us with a more competitive and fan friendly league. We’d still have the risk of players being distracted by more money in the super-league I guess. And I wonder how it would look to clubs lower down the ladder - probably not that different.

• Like 4

I completely agree with much that has been pointed out. The money in the game has made it more about the cash than about the sport! I have explored other sports over the last years...
I still support City and I was born in Norfolk, but the sport has just lost its appeal ...

It would need one of the top clubs to go bust or at least crash , for changes to be made or at least hoped for!

NCFC are not in the Premier League any more and honestly, I haven't watched a second of PL football this season, I don't have a clue who was signed by who , unless a Norwich player was involved. I will follow the Championship naturally , but even so with the Covid , the game looks so sterile ... No fans = no football , watching these games without supporters just underlines that as far as I'm concerned (that doesn't mean to say that the measures aren't the right thing to do).

The comments about last season being the most unenjoyable are spot on ! I have been a fan since 1986 , so I am comparatively young , but I haven't seen anything worse. If this is the way the game evolves , I mean : if you don't have the money , you can't be a member of the club , I don't think I can keep following it

Edited by ROBFLECK
  • Like 1

If there was no money the quality would be lower and you'd be bored to death. 

What a bunch of whining old gits.

You simply cannot appreciate what you have and could lose. 

I was the first to 'like' your post FW, and I felt a sigh of relief that I wasn't alone in the thoughts that someone else feels exactly the same way as me. I did allude to it in a post the other day, but decided on following it up with a full on 'rant', but your post has captured a whole lot of my feelings, so thanks for saving me the time!

I have found myself like this for a few seasons now (It truly has nothing to do with our relegation). The general demise (in my mind) of football has been eroding for a while, through lack of leadership at the top/money/lack of morals/entitlement/faux heroism etc etc.

I have been one of the lucky ones who saw a lot of football, pre Premier League, and I have found myself almost (naively) hankering for a return to those sort of days (from both players and spectators pov). As much as it is great to have a packed stadium, cheering on my team, I also would like to return to the 'bovril days' and have fantasized (strong word I know!) about following my team in a stadium with just a few thousand in, or going to an away game with just one or two hundred away fans, and getting back to why I fell in love with football in the first place. I still enjoy going to games, because of who I go with and who I see at the games, plus I (obviously) want my team to win (but that isn't the be all and end all), but watching Premier League games, or MoTD (very rare)  are only on my agenda if there is nothing else going on in my life at that time, as opposed to building my life around those events

I totally understand Leeds fans wetting themselves over their return to the Prem League, but the older ones will (no matter how successful they do or do not, get) feel exactly like this post reflects, in a short period of time. The magic will well and truly wear off. The only 'fans' who are excited about what goes on in the Prem  , are way too young to know any different, and I actually feel sorry for them. When I see pundits/managers etc fawning over players/teams or challenging morality/decisions with no common sense, it depresses me, and I am learning to turn my back on it as opposed to try and fight it all the time. 

Yes I am obviously of a certain age, and yes, the important things in life are finally dawning on me.....

This is one of the best threads I have seen on here

Edited by Crabbycanary3
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

If there was no money the quality would be lower and you'd be bored to death.  - Do you mean LESS money? If so, then I totally disagree

What a bunch of whining old gits. - ha ha, possibly

You simply cannot appreciate what you have and could lose.  - oh but yes we do

• Like 1

I agree with Crabby Canary that this is an excellent thread.

And I agree with canarydan about Sunday's game. It felt strange not to care but I didn't. And that's after 50+ years of caring a lot. That may be as much to do with Covid as it is to do with football. 

• Like 3