Sign in to follow this  
Beetehleets

Pukki's Role as Playmaker

Hi all! Wondering your opinions on an idea I had watching the game yesterday. I believe Pukki is being played out of position. He should be playing in the 10 spot behind a larger forward acting more as a creative mind, scooping up rebounds, or pulling defenders out of position for a winger to cut in. Further he is such a great asset to have but if he doesnt have the ball at his feet I feel his talent is being wasted.

2 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Yes let's move our main striker to further shatter his confidence. 

What confidence would that be?

He actually was played on wing some amount during his time in Denmark, but did not get much to scoresheet on that position and was bit wasted there. No 10 could work in games where we cannot get any service to him as he is pretty good also in creating chances to others.

However, I'd rather see us improve and have him on his preferred position. Maybe try Hugill there up with him, as he has done well with bigger striker partner earlier in his career.

• Like 1

Pukki is the kind of team player that is unselfish enough to give chances for others to score if they are in a better position than he is. So if he is played on the left or the right, he has something to offer the team.   I'm still convinced the team as a whole will score more goals with two up front, with Pukki pulling the strings creating space and then providing - as he did for Idah - the chances for the other striker to score.

In that way he is not under the same pressure to be the main goal scorer all the time, less likely to get 30 goals again, but will make for having more variety in our attacking game and spreading the load of scoring with others.  I would obviously love it if he can find that kind of form again, but I think maybe we will see more goals from others this season.  We became a bit of a one trick pony as a side and it was found out last season, with a lot of onus on Pukki to provide the goals and it is - imo - unlikely to be like that again. 

Nevertheless, he is still the main man and whether he is played on his own, with another striker, or even out on the left or right, he has the all round playing ability to be effective - after all, in the two years he has been with us, you could count on the fingers of one hand how many times he has given the ball away under pressure, he is so good at shielding it and finding a telling pass. 

Top player. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

Just now, lake district canary said:

Pukki is the kind of team player that is unselfish enough to give chances for others to score of they are in a better position than he is. So if he is played on the left or the right, he has something to offer the team.   I'm still convinced the team as a whole will score more goals with two up front, with Pukki pulling the strings creating space and then providing - as he did for Idah - the chances for the other striker to score.

In that way he is not under the same pressure to be the main goal scorer all the time, less likely to get 30 goals again, but will make for having more variety in our attacking game and spreading the load of scoring with others.  I would obviously love it if he can find that kind of form again, but I think maybe we will see more goals from others this season.  We became a bit of a one trick pony as a side and it was found out last season, with a lot of onus on Pukki to provide the goals and it is - imo - unlikely to be like that again. 

Nevertheless, he is still the main man and whether he is played on his own, with another striker, or even out on the left or right, he has the all round playing ability to be effective - after all, in the two years he has been with us, you could count on the fingers of one hand how many times he has given the ball away under pressure, he is so good at shielding it and finding a telling pass. 

Top player. 

I’d try him at wingback 

In his first season in the opener at home against West Brom when Rhodes played as striker when Pukki scored first of 29 he played midfield and played well enough that day.  So not entirely a ridiculous suggestion Pukki play behind Hugill or Idah.  

I think Pukki didnt score a single headed goal in the Championship last time. Its an idea that might work. We have Hugill who is rather in the Target Man mould, and could capitalise from the exploits of Placheta and Hernandez. If Hugill played with his back to goal it might help to bring Pukki in

29 goal striker and we are thinking of moving him ? 

i would suggest we play the way we did the season he got 29 goals instead of crossing the ball for him to header 

when Hugil played we did not play to his strengths now we are doing the same with Pukki 

Football it is not complicated unless you make it   

All great points. As one poster pointed out he does well to shield the ball and find an outlet to pass to. 

He is still the man and I believe if given the exposure to more dribbling time he could create more scoring opportunities. Plus with the way Farke is building this team (Quintilla and Aarons) both floating crosses Buendia isnt the one I want on the end of it. Give me Hugill or Idah. Pukki for the rebound.