Sign in to follow this  
hampton canary

Has Farke lost the dressing room?

58 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean we're surely not going to get all this money up front are we? So from that point of view you're probably right Til

The flip side of this being that we also won't be paying money out up front for transfers coming in either. Under normal circumstances with all our debts cleared and our revenue income including parachute payments covering our wages etc, there is no reason why this should not be added as transfer money we could potentially reinvest - if we wanted to.

But I think TIL is right in that we won't be seeing £30m added to the transfer budget.

However, I wouldn't say this as a criticism of a club, it is just how our model is set up - as we rely on investing in the 'root' not the 'fruit'. If we went out and spent all of the money received to directly replace the loss of Cantwell / Buendia / Aarons, we would be leaving ourselves very little scope for those replacements to grow in ability and value - and therefore far more room for error and financial loss in the future. This would be too much of a risk IMO.

What we have been able to do this season is arrange transfers from a higher pool of quality. This does not necessarily mean spending £15m-£20m on a single player, but we are spending a little more for better quality and reputation, yet still leaving ourselves plenty of scope for these additions to come to further fruition. Think Placheta, Dowell, Gibson and Hugill. Signings with some reputation, who will mostly improve, and we've even been able to fight of upper champs teams and even prem sides for their signatures. We certainly would not have been able to make these signings in 2018/19.

That said, if we lose Buendia AND Cantwell, I think Webber would want us to push into a slightly higher bracket of spend once again in order to balance the scales - we now look very light in that area without Dowell too. I'm thinking £6-8m on a new player - probably from abroad - and maybe one more coming in as a backup prospect.

A side note to all of the above - I think even if we were looking to step out of the model and spend big in the championship, these plans would have been delayed in any case due to the lost revenue we have had to overcome the past 6 months, and possibly the rest of the season too. Unfortunately that is the position for plenty of clubs at the minute not just ours. So not really a valid criticism at this time.

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

59 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think people need to realise that from time to time Duncan posts these "tongue in cheek" rants that I believe are supposed to sarcastically mimic the more common moans from elements of our support. What is ironic, however, is that whereas when he first started they were so outlandish that you could easily tell he was being sarcastic, the rants are now getting closer and closer to the truth so that now many fans can;t tell he's being sarcastic! Perhaps thats a good way of judging the extent of our genuine problems at the club!

🤣

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I think people need to realise that from time to time Duncan posts these "tongue in cheek" rants that I believe are supposed to sarcastically mimic the more common moans from elements of our support. What is ironic, however, is that whereas when he first started they were so outlandish that you could easily tell he was being sarcastic, the rants are now getting closer and closer to the truth so that now many fans can;t tell he's being sarcastic! Perhaps thats a good way of judging the extent of our genuine problems at the club!

Or it's a good way of judging some of our support.

• Like 2

Just now, hogesar said:

Or it's a good way of judging some of our support.

We don’t have support anymore! We have iFollowers

• Haha 1

Regardless of the 'news' around player transfers

Yes  - Farke has lost lost control & needs to be replaced asap

Farke well out of his depth with 'People Management'

Farke has very limited people management experience - & needs to be replaced asap

Farke = 2 years was always is his MAX

Webber - good to see he will so be gone soon

Imagine you have a building site, kitchen, office any place of work.

Your staff have won an award/recognition and now they are getting offered 75k when you are paying them 25k

They are gone that is that some will work out their 1 month notice in a professional manner others will be demotivated and/or arses about it.

Get them out and get new folks in asap no other way to resolve this sadly the gap in prestige and cash is too high.

Edited by Fromage Frais

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

If that is the case it's a really p*ss-poor attempt at irony given what follows in the rest of the post.

I seriously doubt Farke has lost the dressing room.

This is a new team with a bunch of new players (despite many familiar faces) they are all jostling to find their place and to fit in.

Some of the of older players will have seen rebuilds before. Others like Buendia and Cantwell may find it is a new experience and a somewhat disconcerting one. They are testing the boundaries and Farke has just shown them where these are.

Teams go through evolutions all the time and this team is going through one now. Some aspects of it are a little painful but I see in Farke's words a great deal of sympathy for those who are struggling with this new experience. 

This is not the team that got promoted. It is not the team that got demoted. It is a new team. 

Bruce Tuckman the psychologist described how teams develop with his forming, storming, norming, performing model. This model is widely taught today in both management and leadership courses (google it).

My guess is that this side is doing a little "storming" at the moment, it has been instigated by Farke. 

Give them a few weeks and it will be sorted out. Hopefully both Cantwell and Buendia chose an adult response to this experience.

Indeed if they want to be seen as the senior pros in the side then they need to set the standards for the rest of the group. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

🤣

Ah, the classic refrain of the caught out debater whose attempt at irony was soooo bad it was unrecognisable as such. Just blame the thicko's who couldn't understand how intelligent you are. You're better than that aren't you?

1 hour ago, Bonzo said:

I seriously doubt Farke has lost the dressing room.

This is a new team with a bunch of new players (despite many familiar faces) they are all jostling to find their place and to fit in.

Some of the of older players will have seen rebuilds before. Others like Buendia and Cantwell may find it is a new experience and a somewhat disconcerting one. They are testing the boundaries and Farke has just shown them where these are.

Teams go through evolutions all the time and this team is going through one now. Some aspects of it are a little painful but I see in Farke's words a great deal of sympathy for those who are struggling with this new experience. 

This is not the team that got promoted. It is not the team that got demoted. It is a new team. 

Bruce Tuckman the psychologist described how teams develop with his forming, storming, norming, performing model. This model is widely taught today in both management and leadership courses (google it).

My guess is that this side is doing a little "storming" at the moment, it has been instigated by Farke. 

Give them a few weeks and it will be sorted out. Hopefully both Cantwell and Buendia chose an adult response to this experience.

Indeed if they want to be seen as the senior pros in the side then they need to set the standards for the rest of the group. 

Knew about the model beforehand, but hadn't thought about it in a football team. And it certainly makes good sense here as part of a squad evolving. Very good shout. I would say it's still in a cross between the forming and the storming phase though as when so many are hauled in at once there's still an element of working out where the pieces best fit.

36 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Ah, the classic refrain of the caught out debater whose attempt at irony was soooo bad it was unrecognisable as such. Just blame the thicko's who couldn't understand how intelligent you are. You're better than that aren't you?

Thanks, sgncfc.

I think the best parodies closely mimic what they are based upon, that you found it indistinguishable to the point that you offered a serious reply is quite the compliment. The clues are there if you look. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I'm sure there were plenty of us who recognised Duncan's irony sngcfc. You've been around this board long enough to be one of them. 

On 28/09/2020 at 17:06, Thirsty Lizard said:

Sooty - I don't think Duncan was being 100% serious. 

If so, he fooled me completely (and a few others by the look of it)

After all the comments that have been made I stick with my original statement that I think he lost the dressing room before lockdown. If offers come in and are accepted for Aarons, Buendia, Cantwell and Godfrey then four of our young players who like to play on the front foot will have gone; five if you include Lewis. I don't think any of these players enjoyed continually having to stop going forward and pass the ball sideways or backwards. I am happy to admit I was wrong if he is still here after 10 games.

Fergie ruled with an iron fist. Even the big name players were shipped out when they became problematic and that was largely one of the reasons he was so successful over such a long period of time.

I back Farke.