Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Farke on Cantwell

Farke was right to criticise Buendia and Cantwell. Buendia's lack of discipline getting sent off and therefore out for 3 games has cost the club dear and by the sounds of it he hasn't subsequently put a shift in during training.

Farke also appears annoyed by Cantwell's attitude and has therefore pointed out that his stats on the pitch aren't good enough.

My take is that both players are up their own arses and Farke is fed up with both of them. Good on you Farke you have principles and the balls to stand by them. Being a pu!!ssy around these big egos won't get you anywhere my respect for you has increased a lot. 

Edited by Mullet

4 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Farke also appears annoyed by Cantwell's attitude and has therefore pointed out that his stats on the pitch aren't good enough

Not really the smartest thing to do if there's interest and you want to get the best possible price, who wants to buy a player who they fear is unprofessional. 

This is not a criticism but as far as I can see not one poster on this thread really knows what has gone on with Cantwell and Buendia for them to be dropped and publicly criticised by the coach. Given that, I am happy to trust Farke's judgment unless it becomes obvious that he has greatly over-reacted. And if he hadn't said anything the argument here would have been that the fans were owed some kind of explanation.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Remember this...

I still applaud him for it.

Yep. He's a Head Coach who sticks to his principles and beliefs.

I love Todd and Emi as players.

What fans dont seem to realise is its much easier for Farke to play both of them today. If they play badly he can point the finger at their attitude and performance.

Instead he thinks the bigger picture of the club - i.e the culture and atmosphere and environment they are building is more important. Thats incredibly unselfish from a Head Coach who will get stick from fans for not playing either. But maybe long term it will send the correct message out to our next group of young players to come through - by which time Farke may well have moved on. Like I say, it's unselfish from him.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

What fans dont seem to realise is its much easier for Farke to play both of them today. If they play badly he can point the finger at their attitude and performance.

Instead he thinks the bigger picture of the club - i.e the culture and atmosphere and environment they are building is more important. Thats incredibly unselfish from a Head Coach who will get stick from fans for not playing either. But maybe long term it will send the correct message out to our next group of young players to come through - by which time Farke may well have moved on. Like I say, it's unselfish from him.

And it resulted in zero points today. I hope Farke stays here for many seasons to come but that line up today was not the best starting eleven possible. No Buendia or Cantwell in that team was only good news for Bournemouth and not us. 

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I wonder if perhaps some of us are making a mountain out of a molehill over today’s surprise omissions, myself guilty of this as much as anyone.

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/bournemouth-0-norwich-1-farke-reaction-1-6858121

Cheers for sharing this Alex. In full context those are some great comments from Farke IMO, and largely in tune with the video shared by Nutty (which is also great). I do think the comments on Cantwell's stats and Buendia's sending off were a tad harsh but nothing too controversial, and it certainly does not read like a broken relationship beyond repair... Maybe we will still get to keep at least one of them...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Out of reactions, but well said! 

8 hours ago, Orly said:

Re: Pukki, yes I believe he has, on at least one or two occasions last season. So that shows consistency in his methods, at the very least.

I do not think Pukki has been dropped and left out of squad though then slated by farke ?
 That is what really Takes this to a different level from a must do better bit on a Friday before a game 

8 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

I do not think Pukki has been dropped and left out of squad though then slated by farke ?
 That is what really Takes this to a different level from a must do better bit on a Friday before a game 

He did start Drmic ahead of Pukki later on last season I seem to recall.

And I expect many players get a dressing down from Farke more than we realise, the difference being in this case that a.) the likes of Pukki, Zimbo, Onel probably respect the manager and don’t give him attitude, and therefore it doesn’t have to go further, and b.) he was forced to explain the omissions in public. What did people want, some injury nonsense, or the truth?

Farke’s not done this for sh1t’s and giggles. If the players are being disruptive etc, then not one supporter should be standing up for them over our manager.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

I'm so disappointed with Cantwell and Buendia right now. Both come across as spoilt brats. Cantwell really is quite overrated to me. Buendia needs to play in a more technical league. Here, he'll get bashed about on a cold wet evening at Luton and Wycombe.

We only have one side of the story here. Farke wasn’t calling out Emi in his press conference on Friday, quite the opposite so it’s very strange that 48 hours later he’s suddenly making out he’s been causing problems or is not committed.

a cynic night think that the club gets a lot less grief for selling a popular player if the narrative is circulating amongst the fans that the player has downed tools. See the comments since yesterday for evidence of this. Must be music to Webber’s ears!

9 hours ago, Mullet said:

Farke was right to criticise Buendia and Cantwell. Buendia's lack of discipline getting sent off and therefore out for 3 games has cost the club dear and by the sounds of it he hasn't subsequently put a shift in during training.

Farke also appears annoyed by Cantwell's attitude and has therefore pointed out that his stats on the pitch aren't good enough.

My take is that both players are up their own arses and Farke is fed up with both of them. Good on you Farke you have principles and the balls to stand by them. Being a pu!!ssy around these big egos won't get you anywhere my respect for you has increased a lot. 

Which has cost the club more, Emi missing the first game of the season or Farke refusing to pick him for a game we dominated for large spells and could have won had we had a player who could pick a through ball in our side? 

9 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

And it resulted in zero points today. I hope Farke stays here for many seasons to come but that line up today was not the best starting eleven possible. No Buendia or Cantwell in that team was only good news for Bournemouth and not us. 

Cantwell would have made little difference to the result yesterday. Buendia, quite possibly, but if his head's elsewhere then you can't play him. A player without motivation or desire is a liability, and playing him is not only foolish but  disrespectful to teammates. I can't really argue with his starting eleven yesterday. 

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We only have one side of the story here. Farke wasn’t calling out Emi in his press conference on Friday, quite the opposite so it’s very strange that 48 hours later he’s suddenly making out he’s been causing problems or is not committed.

a cynic night think that the club gets a lot less grief for selling a popular player if the narrative is circulating amongst the fans that the player has downed tools. See the comments since yesterday for evidence of this. Must be music to Webber’s ears!

I don’t know about a cynic, but if someone is paranoid and pretty much always on a downer about out club, then I could imagine it must be pretty easy to see Farke as the nasty vindictive type over a decent man with great morals and extremely high standards.

Farke is 100% right. 

It is not in the interests of the team to have people in the side behaving like big time Charlies. 

Even if it costs us points to get the right mindset in the squad then it is the right thing to do.

Farke is clearly brave enough to do the right thing. Good on him. 

• Like 1

Farke clearly has very high standards for what he wants to see which is fine. It isn't too unfair to wonder though if that has a sell by date with certain players and can lead to fallings out. Since he's been here he's frozen out and publicly dressed down a number of players- fine when you're winning but if not people will wonder if the problem isn't partly with him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

Must be! Alot of the countries best young players do no different to Todd. 

And just look where his attitude is getting him. Maybe a growing up lesson for the adult world might be productive ?

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

And just look where his attitude is getting him. Maybe a growing up lesson for the adult world might be productive ?

He'll have a problem at Elland Road when it comes to hiding his hairbands. Plenty of competition for them up there!!!

How many chances has Kenny McLean created, how many goals has Kenny McLean scored.

Farkes absolute blind faith in this player will undoubtedly be his downfall. It’s going to be a Neil Adams season.

If anyone comes on here and say he is a defensive midfielder you are wrong because he can’t tackle also Farke said he can’t wait to move him up the pitch last year.

Cantwell and Buendia are at a completely higher level of player and remember Kenny McLean was not good enough to get in the promotion winning team.

34 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I don’t know about a cynic, but if someone is paranoid and pretty much always on a downer about out club, then I could imagine it must be pretty easy to see Farke as the nasty vindictive type over a decent man with great morals and extremely high standards.

1 minute ago, simmo_2 said:

How many chances has Kenny McLean created, how many goals has Kenny McLean scored.

Farkes absolute blind faith in this player will undoubtedly be his downfall. It’s going to be a Neil Adams season.

If anyone comes on here and say he is a defensive midfielder you are wrong because he can’t tackle also Farke said he can’t wait to move him up the pitch last year.

Cantwell and Buendia are at a completely higher level of player and remember Kenny McLean was not good enough to get in the promotion winning team.

Whilst I agree with you that Farke's obsession with Kenny is a problem, he did get in the promotion winning team. He played most of the run in and throughout our best unbeaten run during the second half of that season (even though I felt Leitner should be playing instead).

He was noticeably better in the second half yesterday when he was pushed up the pitch to get closer to Pukki and whist i agreed wuth the subs Farke made, our best spell in the game was the first half of the second half. 

Farke's comments have encouraged all of this "too big for the club", "grow up" "Big time Charlie" rubbish 

Whenever I've seen Cantwell interviewed he always seems down to earth. I can see the work he's done for Delete Cancer. When we were relegated he was humble enough to apologise to the fans saying that it was a dream come true to play for his local team in the Prem. 

I wonder if there are German equivalents to the English phrases:

"Washing your dirty laundry in public"

"Cutting off your nose to spite your face" 

If the players have done something wrong, punish them in private. Don't punish the team and fans. 

Edited by curious yellow

23 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Well its got him from growing up in Dereham to being wanted by Premier League clubs. Its got Maddison playing at the top level.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Well its got him from growing up in Dereham to being wanted by Premier League clubs. Its got Maddison playing at the top level.

It has gone to his head which is abundantly clear from the remarks made by Farke and you must remind me when we had an on field attitude problem with Maddison. Did Maddison give it the oh look at me on social media ?

I find it very hard to judge what the situation is with Cantwell. He's certainly never shown a lack of effort in games (although I feel he's been showboating and quite ineffective this season) but I felt all trhough pre-season that he looked a bit sulky and not fully engaged with the rest of the group. Hard to tell too much from the videos they put out but I felt he was featuring very little and consuequently one of the more likely candidates to move on. Its probably a bit pathetic on my part (or just me showing my age) but I've always felt he may be capable of having a bit of an attitude just because he talks like an east London wideboy and seems to like a bit of bling based on his social media profiles. 

Conversely, Emi has appeared quite a lot in the clubs social media releases, has often been laughing and joking and generally seemed very involved in the footage from training sessions etc. 

What is clear despite all the stick I got I have been proven right about cantwell!!!

listen to me you won’t go far wrong!! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

Farke clearly has very high standards for what he wants to see which is fine. It isn't too unfair to wonder though if that has a sell by date with certain players and can lead to fallings out. Since he's been here he's frozen out and publicly dressed down a number of players- fine when you're winning but if not people will wonder if the problem isn't partly with him.

I think you summed it up for me.

If a player doesn't perform, it's probably up to the player to figure it out. If the player hasn't performed for a long time, it's probably up to the coach to figure it out.

At this point we are not talking about a select few underperformers.

5 minutes ago, Upo said:

I think you summed it up for me.

If a player doesn't perform, it's probably up to the player to figure it out. If the player hasn't performed for a long time, it's probably up to the coach to figure it out.

At this point we are not talking about a select few underperformers.

What is particularly damaging is the timing of this. These are two plauers who we know will have suitors and to fall out with or develop a rift with them just a couple of weeks before the transfer deadline when you are record saying you don;t want to sell them is very strange timing. 

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It has gone to his head which is abundantly clear from the remarks made by Farke and you must remind me when we had an on field attitude problem with Maddison. Did Maddison give it the oh look at me on social media ?

It may have gone to his head a bit with the recent speculation. But he's a young lad, that happens sometimes. He certainly isn't the first and won't be the last, and there's every chance he comes back better for the experience.

Maddison regularly gives it the 'oh look at me' on social media. Far more than Cantwell actually. As for Maddisons attitude, it's that which resulted in Alex Neil sending him on loan and equally why Southgate didn't bring him into the England setup earlier. But Maddison is only one example. There are plenty.

Just because you and Waveney don't like Todd doesn't mean we have to jump to conclusions.

25 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Cantwell and Maddison are in completely different stratosphere’s in ability. 

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I don't think it is 'abundantly clear' there is anything wrong with his 'on field attitude' in those comments actually. Only because you want it to be because you clearly already dislike him.

It sounds like Farke would welcome him back in to the team if he gives 100% in training, that is literally all Farke has said. His standards in training have dropped a little, maybe his focus is not fully here, but as Farke mentions - it is understandable to an extent with the level of rumours. It sounds like Farke is pretty ruthless on the topic and it could very well be a small drop off in training to warrant being dropped. Of course we don't know the true extent, but I am not writing off either player coming back into the fray just yet. And I am not concluding with such certainty that either player has 'abundantly clear on field attitude problems'. Oh no wait my mistake it just applies to Cantwell and not Buendia doesn't it? Because of his long hair right?

Alex gave a great example earlier in the thread (or the other Cantwell one), about Pukki. He was dropped for a run of games for Drmic towards the end of last season, more than likely under similar circumstances to Cantwell and Buendia now. However because the issue was never pressed in the media to the same extent - nor were the rumours circulating quite in the same manor with the transfer window closed - Farke was never put in a position to comment publicly on it. Reading his comments in full I don't think they are particularly controversial or harsh overall. And I don't think we can draw too many conclusions yet, but we will see what unfolds in the coming weeks.

• Like 1