Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Can Farke and Leitner kiss and make up?

Leitner may not be the long term answer as he's too lightweight for the league above, and I'm not saying he'd have been able to do a good job of controlling the temp against that Bournemouth side.

But crikey, that midfield three today so devoid of any creativity or ideas that I couldn't help wish we had him on to ping the ball around a bit.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I'm a big Leitner fan from the promotion season, but was he what we needed today? He didn't often score or create the assist, he helped us to control the ball and the game and from what I heard (didn't watch it, but listened, so I may be miles off) we did that already? We needed an Emi, Cantwell, Stiepermann type to play that pass.

Leitner when playing well for us was generally just dictating tempo from deep and taking the ball of our defence. I think Skipp done that better than Leitner often did.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

I'm a big Leitner fan from the promotion season, but was he what we needed today? He didn't often score or create the assist, he helped us to control the ball and the game and from what I heard (didn't watch it, but listened, so I may be miles off) we did that already? We needed an Emi, Cantwell, Stiepermann type to play that pass.

Youre spot on in my book.

Incredible that we're allowing Leitner and Trybull to leave ....but keeping and playing (and in one case) giving new contracts to McLean and Rupp

....some of what we're doing might be out of Farke's control i.e Cantwell/Buendia ....but some of it isn't   i.e Trybull Leitner Vrancic Steipermann

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Whilst I agree - I think Leitner is class - unfortunately I can't see it happening. Once you fall out with DF, you ain't getting back in.

And that's one of the reasons why he'll never be a top coach at a big club. 

He’s not the answer in my opinion. 8 out of 11 defensive players started today. Without a playmaker we look directionless. Isolated forwards with no creativity behind. Skipp McLean and rupp is ridiculous. No pace, strength or creativity. We’re making is so easy for the opposition. 

I think too much time has now passed. Leitner seems the kind of player who wouldn't back down if he thought he was right. He must also be quite bitter that his chance to really get going in the Prem never came after their fallout.

You didn't watch the match the obviously. 

The problem was not midfield creativity, it was the final ball into a crowded box from the attackers. 

4 hours ago, vlad666 said:

He’s not the answer in my opinion. 8 out of 11 defensive players started today. Without a playmaker we look directionless. Isolated forwards with no creativity behind. Skipp McLean and rupp is ridiculous. No pace, strength or creativity. We’re making is so easy for the opposition. 

No strength in McLean, Rupp and Skipp? 

What a load of absolute rubbish. 

As someone else posted to lightweight for English football , gets brushed off the ball far to easily , passing ability is clearly there thou best suited to another league.😁

I'm basing it on the commentary but Skipp sounded excellent today. Possibly as good a passer as Leitner, far more mobile and wins more duels.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

I mean....Alex Ferguson?!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

I'm basing it on the commentary but Skipp sounded excellent today. Possibly as good a passer as Leitner, far more mobile and wins more duels.

I thought that Skipp and Rupp pairing was decent.

But McLean isn't what we need in that number 10 position.

I'd be annoyed if Rupp is dropped and McLean moved back to his position to accommodate an alternative at number 10.

9 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

You didn't watch the match the obviously. 

The problem was not midfield creativity, it was the final ball into a crowded box from the attackers. 

I think a positive for us today was that Skipp and Rupp won the midfield battle and we had over 60% of the ball as a result. Not sure if you can call it an away game as there were no home supporters but Bournemouth setup defensively against us the away team - precautionary due to our reputation. But despite our dominance - we lacked penetration - we had few shots on goal, drew a blank and lost the game. So the problem without doubt is midfield creativity ! Shouldn't be any argument should there ?

But it's not all bad news -  we have players at the club that have the skills to change the fortune of the club  Leitner is one of those players. Today showed we have good ball winners and they are good at their job, but creativity is a different skill set. 

• Like 2

Leitner really is not the answer, i may be biased but i have not seen him have that many good games, he certainly is not a match winner, we would be no better if he was playing

14 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Incredible that we're allowing Leitner and Trybull to leave ....but keeping and playing (and in one case) giving new contracts to McLean and Rupp

....some of what we're doing might be out of Farke's control i.e Cantwell/Buendia ....but some of it isn't   i.e Trybull Leitner Vrancic Steipermann

I think that the club have gotten ahead of themselves a bit in regards to the players you mentioned.  We know they can't do it in the Premier League so I think the club are trying to replace BEFORE we even get back there all the time forgetting that you have to earn the place at the top table.  I get that what you have there are 4 players not good enough for the PL but there are also 4 Championship winners medals there too.  I kind of understand the thinking, Steiperman was ineffective at the top level, no goals or assists (I think) but we know he's capable of getting 10 of each in the Champs.  It's ok looking to the future with Dowell, Platcheta etc as a potential PL players but right now we are in the Champs and that makes those 4 players you mentioned useful while we are there.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

I think a positive for us today was that Skipp and Rupp won the midfield battle and we had over 60% of the ball as a result. Not sure if you can call it an away game as there were no home supporters but Bournemouth setup defensively against us the away team - precautionary due to our reputation. But despite our dominance - we lacked penetration - we had few shots on goal, drew a blank and lost the game. So the problem without doubt is midfield creativity ! Shouldn't be any argument should there ?

But it's not all bad news -  we have players at the club that have the skills to change the fortune of the club  Leitner is one of those players. Today showed we have good ball winners and they are good at their job, but creativity is a different skill set. 

Jerry Kelly is an annoying troll.

I felt that we needed somebody in there who could unlock the Bournemouth defence with a through ball or get the ball out to the wingers quickly. Placheta looks very raw and possibly not ready, but I also feel that we could have done a better of job of getting the ball out to that left hand side when he was in space and a Leitner or Vrancic would have been able to ping the ball out there with ease. 

Skipp and Rupp looked a solid partnership in the middle, I personally feel that with Leitner out of the picture it should probably be Vrancic coming in for McLean in that advanced spot based on that performance.

In an ideal world if Buendia and Cantwell leave then we'd be bringing in one wide player to replace Buendia, but also new number 10 to replace Cantwell. 

I do hope that Farke doesn't persist with square pegs in round holes to fit in favourites, whether that's Rupp out wide or McLean at number 10. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Leitner joined Drmic in playing for u23's last Friday.  Maybe there's hope for both o return yet in these pandemic times.  

18 hours ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Yep. You never saw Fergie behave like that. 🤔

19 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

Whilst I agree - I think Leitner is class - unfortunately I can't see it happening. Once you fall out with DF, you ain't getting back in.

If you look at Leitner's career, it might suggest that the issue lies with him rather than Farke?

Farke needs to kiss and make up with Emi. I'm not bothered about Leitner.

It's a pivotal point in the season for us. We look devoid of ideas and creativity without Emi or and Emi style player in the side.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

If you look at Leitner's career, it might suggest that the issue lies with him rather than Farke?

True but there's a list growing for DF too. Leitner, Oliveira,  Emi, Todd... Martin, Jerome and Naismith all suggested that DF doesn't have the best man management skills.

I haven't seen anyone say that this has been handled well...

13 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

True but there's a list growing for DF too. Leitner, Oliveira,  Emi, Todd... Martin, Jerome and Naismith all suggested that DF doesn't have the best man management skills.

I haven't seen anyone say that this has been handled well...

Naismith said he actually really enjoyed training under Farke but was kept clear throughout when he wasn't going to play and respected being told straight.

Jerome never said anything negative other than the training regime being hard work for players towards the end of their career.

We don't yet know if Farke's actions have had a positive or negative influence on Emi and Todd.

So you basically just have Leitner and Oliveira. Both of whom's careers suggest it's been a common theme with themselves, really.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Naismith said he actually really enjoyed training under Farke but was kept clear throughout when he wasn't going to play and respected being told straight.

Jerome never said anything negative other than the training regime being hard work for players towards the end of their career.

We don't yet know if Farke's actions have had a positive or negative influence on Emi and Todd.

So you basically just have Leitner and Oliveira. Both of whom's careers suggest it's been a common theme with themselves, really.

He also publicly called out Josh Murphy and Marley Watkins, along with sometimes totally freezing out certain players for difficult to discern reasons. 

I imagine Farke is probably quite a harsh taskmaster and some players respond well to that while others don't. However I'd be concerned that if this is the be all and end all for Farke that midfields like we had on Sunday (hard working, willing runners, with limited spark) may become more commonplace.