Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

VAR At It Yet Again !

That decision has pleased me because the powers that be might at last realise VAR is an absolute joke and scrap it.

Someone, somewhere might realise that the game is NOT about referees!

Man U pen yesterday was fair enough, the guy had no business leading with his arm, but today’s for Newcastle was a bit of a joke.  In trying to get the handball rule sorted they have rather made it into a farce.  

Just now, Yellow Wal said:

That decision has pleased me because the powers that be might at last realise VAR is an absolute joke and scrap it.

Someone, somewhere might realise that the game is NOT about referees!

No, it isn’t VAR it is the rule.  All Var does is determine whether the ball hit the arm, it is then the interpretation of the rule that is at fault.

I used to be a referee for ten years, and frankly the handball rule nowadays utterly baffles me. Throw in the ability to see slow-motion replays, which can distort the notion of perceiving an intention to handle a ball / mistime a tackle, and it's clear that there's a hell of a long way to go before this starts working very well.

• Like 2

Its becoming laughable and makes me glad VAR is not in the championship.

Only way they will take note is if the player taking the penalty scores but does not celebrate, he can not refuse to take, can not miss on purpose but the refusal to celebrate an undeserved goal might make them look at it again.

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No, it isn’t VAR it is the rule.  All Var does is determine whether the ball hit the arm, it is then the interpretation of the rule that is at fault.

Then obviously the rule needs to change and without VAR it would be impossible to implement.

Edited by Yellow Wal
Clarity.

Very poor decision by the referee in this game. VAR didn't actually have a position? It was a joke of a decision.

Football must have a death wish. Those in charge need to wake up before they ruin the game for good.

If there were fans at these games there might well have been riots by now, and quite rightly so.

• Like 1

It has come to something when the manager of the team awarded the penalty ( Steve Bruce ) in his interview says the decision and everything surrounding the VAR decision is completely wrong and that it must change.

I hate VAR, but it's not the problem with all these handballs, the problem is the ridiculous new rule. It no longer has to be accidental and the arm no longer has to be in an unnatural position. If it hits the arm or hand, then it's a penalty, no ifs or buts. 

VAR is not the problem but the clowns that have implemented it and the rule changes which they don't think through. We will soon have Carroll starting every game as he deliberately tries to head the ball onto a defender's arm in the penalty area to gain penalties. The authorities that make these crazy nonsensical rule changes are a joke and as some say are ruining football.  

Between VAR, officials feeling like they matter and are part of the entertainment, the dreadful ultra defensive set ups of most teams and games being decided more and more by pace and physicality the Premier League really has become a poor watch for the neutral. You obviously get some good games like the Leicester one today but even the good ones are tainted by officials and so many games are pure write offs, who the hell would want to watch any match between these clubs? Newcastle, West Ham, Palace, Burnley, Sheff Utd, West Brom, Brighton, Man Utd, Villa or Southampton? All play a really poor standard of football, they just sit back and give it to the fast players to run with, then when you factor in VAR you have to wonder why anybody outside of fans of these clubs would bother wasting their time watching PL football anymore. 

It's becoming a very different game to the one I grew up watching. It's just not fun anymore imo. 

• Like 2

The thing is as well, when you slow it down and over analyse it you see things that just aren’t there. When I saw the Spurs handball in real time, I thought absolutely not. When it’s slowed down, his arm sort of comes up in a weird angle from behind him, almost like a cricket bowling action. In real time it looks like a natural hand movement when you’re jumping. When you slow it down you double guess yourself - was it natural, does he bring it out wider than he should have done, maybe it was less natural than you thought?

• Haha 1

I have long been an advocate of if it hits your hand it is handball. Intent should not be taken into consideration. It is called football,not hand ball (they have their own sport). That said though. if it is not an intentional decision to prevent a goal, handball in the penalty area should result in an indirect free kick from the spot of the offence.

• Haha 1