Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

Norwich vs Bournemouth Match Thread

The difference between this and the promotion season is that we had Emi to tear the league apart and help create last minute escapes and victories. It doesn't look as though we will have him for much longer and there is no one like him to take his place. 

The spark that ignited us in this league the season before last has gone.

The signs that something was wrong when the PL resumed were there for all to see and they are even more evident now.

Too many of our squad. who in the main were not good enough for the PL, think that they are better than The Championship.

If players no longer want to be here then get rid asap so that they can warm a bench at a higher level for a season or two

Edited by Making Plans

No panic first of all but some lessons need to be learnt.

First all the players played well. No complaints BUT...

We need to play to our strengths not our weaknesses. Pukki needs the ball played to him as per Stepi or Mario two seasons ago. He's not an old fashioned centre forward nodding in crosses from the byline. He plays off the shoulder of the defender. If that's not our game start Idah.

Cantwell or Emi are not the solution and wern't last season either. Its the way we play not the players.

17 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

No panic first of all but some lessons need to be learnt.

First all the players played well. No complaints BUT...

We need to play to our strengths not our weaknesses. Pukki needs the ball played to him as per Stepi or Mario two seasons ago. He's not an old fashioned centre forward nodding in crosses from the byline. He plays off the shoulder of the defender. If that's not our game start Idah.

Cantwell or Emi are not the solution and wern't last season either. Its the way we play not the players.

i think Farke has to take some blame for last season 

Pukki is Not a new signing bedding into the squad if we do not know how he plays now we are in trouble 

it is always a tough ask to go straight back up that is why so many fail 

But Farke is just like any Head coach / Manager they have a sell by date 

i think what we saw after lock down and now problems with players Farke should be under a bit more pressure 

Time will tell if Farke is the Wonder coach or someone who got us up because everything was right that season 

Edited by norfolkngood

30 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

This was the exact same argument I put forward years ago regarding RvW, we simply didn't play to his strengths and give him the right kind of supply (if at all), and then people berated him rather than look at the reasons for his failings.

Hughton knew exactly what kind of striker he'd bought, but insisted on trying to play him as a lone target man which was NEVER his game, and here we are years later and Farke is doing the exact same thing to Pukki, and again we have some posters claiming it's time to drop Pukki (seemingly forgetting his 30 goals last time at this level), rather than saying we need to change back to how we were playing when we won promotion back to the PL.

We've missed Buendia's link-up play and natural flair badly, we've missed Stiepermanns direct play behind Pukki (has was poor in the PL to be fair), we've missed Vrancic's passing and creativity, but instead of trying to return to what worked brilliantly for us, Farke keeps playing too many defensive minded/non creative midfielders across the middle and the supply to Pukki just isn't there.

Next game needs to see McLean and Rupp on the bench at best (Rupp was OK today), Vrancic and Stiepermann back in, and if we are going to play Argos and Placheta, they need to be looking to either drive inwards or play low fast crosses for Pukki to run onto and put in, rather than balls 3 feet over his head against 6ft+ brawny CB's.

Krul

Aarons, Godfrey, Gibson, Xavi

Skipp, Vrancic

Placheta, Stiepermann, Argos

Pukki

Subs: McGovern, Zimm, Tettey/Sorensen, Leitner, Martin, Idah, Hugill

• Like 1

If Emi is still here next game, I'd tell him to stop being a stroppy **** and go out there and put on a show for the fans. He clearly has the talent and would clearly be the answer at no. 10. We massively missed him today.

He needs a chance to put things right or its gonna be a long, long few months.

Having reflected a little with the dust now settled, there will be plenty of sides who go to Bournemouth and lose. Despite having lost so many players, they still have players like Josh King I would have here in a flash. 

I remain disappointed by the manner in which we played and approached the game. I do think the side was not the best 11, even if you remove Cantwell and Buendia from the picture if their performance in training was insufficient. We all know Farke and his coaching team are seriously into statistics. I wonder what statistics he would be able to conjure which would suggest that eleven would create chances. 

It also leads me to speculate if we have a bad culture within our younger players. We know Farke had a falling out with Idah ahead of Huddersfield. We know now that Buendia and Todd were not up to standard this week. Three bad weeks for three players in the first three weeks of the season makes me wonder what our young players are thinking. 

14 hours ago, percy varco said:

No threat in final third. Same as last year. 
time to start 2 up front and one of them NOT Pukki. He cannot continue to have a place based on a good season before last. 

So play two up front but not two Pukkis? 🤨

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

We know Farke had a falling out with Idah ahead of Huddersfield.

Did he? Don't remember that.

Edit- just googled and found it, missed it at the time!

Edited by king canary

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It also leads me to speculate if we have a bad culture within our younger players. We know Farke had a falling out with Idah ahead of Huddersfield. We know now that Buendia and Todd were not up to standard this week. Three bad weeks for three players in the first three weeks of the season makes me wonder what our young players are thinking. 

No I think the opposite. Look how Idah has responded has responded to Farke's comments. He looks like he'll be a real menace for us this season.

Farke sets very high standards, he let's the players (and also the fans on occasion) know when those standards slip. It sets a strong culture and precedent for young players coming up from the academy - or coming in from other clubs - that you must always show 100% levels of commitment to the badge.

It would surely be much worse if players were given leeway to drop-off in training and still get into the team based on their 'name and value'.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

No I think the opposite. Look how Idah has responded has responded to Farke's comments. He looks like he'll be a real menace for us this season.

Farke sets very high standards, he let's the players (and also the fans on occasion) know when those standards slip. It sets a strong culture and precedent for young players coming up from the academy - or coming in from other clubs - that you must always show 100% levels of commitment to the badge.

It would surely be much worse if players were given leeway to drop-off in training and still get into the team based on their 'name and value'.

Exactly. Farke will give young players their head if they look like they deserve to be there on merit. The reverse side is that he will not hesitate to say something if he is sure that they are not doing everything to maintain those standards.

Compare the efforts of Aarons, Godfrey, and indeed Lewis before he went. They kept their heads screwed on and kept giving 100%. This is all part of the game of being a pro player, and if you're a highly promising youngster, you'd better keep your head screwed on otherwise you're far more likely to be one of those "wasn't he touted for the England squad once" sort of player.

As you train, so you play. Slack off in training, and it shows on the pitch.

Are we all missing something here that could be staring us in the face. Josh Martin had a great pre-season and looked a real talent.Ok,may be a big ask for him to step up so soon,but why not give him the chance.