Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

Norwich vs Bournemouth Match Thread

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Bournemouth had 12 shots, we had 13. Bournemouth had 5 shots on target, we had 5. So Bournemouth had one shot on target go in. Are they toothless too?

Yes you could look at it like that.

Although they also had the clearer of those chances to score than we did.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Bournemouth had 12 shots, we had 13. Bournemouth had 5 shots on target, we had 5. So Bournemouth had one shot on target go in. Are they toothless too?

They won 1-0 so the cherries must have a milk tooth breaking through.....

11 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

Good performance. Narrow defeat against a promotion rival. 

Long way to go. 

OK you can get on with your whine festival now about how it's all gone wrong, how hopeless we are. Rupp rubbish McLean hate, blah blah blah. 

Idiots.

How do we know this was a match against “promotion rivals” after 3 games then? 

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

To be fair, I don't think we were that bad today; just lacked a cutting edge in the final third. 

I respectfully disagree.

We could have played ten games and never looked like scoring. How many crosses did we attempt that were just so poor? If this is what life will be like without Todd, Emi and with Dowell injured, I'm concerned. 

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I respectfully disagree.

We could have played ten games and never looked like scoring. How many crosses did we attempt that were just so poor? If this is what life will be like without Todd, Emi and with Dowell injured, I'm concerned. 

It sounds like we agree in principle, but maybe have a differing view on 'cutting edge in the final third'. 

I agree that the final crosses were poor, but up until 25 yards from the Bournemouth goal we played quite well. 

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

To be fair, I don't think we were that bad today; just lacked a cutting edge in the final third. 

Would agree.

The worry is that without Cantwell and Buendia in particular, and with Pukki certainly not in the form he was in two seasons ago, I don’t see where we have that spark to get something in games like today when we don’t look like scoring.

Played well, best performance this season to be honest. Should we have also had a pen? Probably.

Rupp had a good game which people won't like hearing.

Vrancic had one of his better substitute appearances than hes had for a long time.

Bournemouth won because they looked really quite solid. Playing five at the back - combined with their pressing and work rate - meant that we didn't get much of a sniff, once they scored.

Today poses more questions for us though. Whilst it can't be easy to have two of your best players out (for whatever reason), crossing the ball so often is crazy when we have Pukki up top. If we want to play that way, play Hugill.

I largely agree with what others have said re: midfield trio. Skipp and Rupp were good, yet lacked creativity. Whilst McLean didn't offer much, Vrancic stated his claim for a starting spot next game. 

I do wonder if we have gone too far away from what made us tick in our promotion season. Pukki fed off scraps today without the service of Stiepermann, Leitner and Buendia. I'm not sure our squad is good enough.

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd agree with Vrancic for McLean, especially if Rupp continues in the vein he showed today. He looked pretty good and was well ahead of McLean. The thing I would say is that Hernandez and Placheta on at the same time leaves us a bit short of explosiveness coming off the bench. I've always thought Hernandez is better coming on with a hour on the clock to throw at tired opponents.

Pukki also needs Stiepermann around. I think people are forgetting how effective that partnership was last time out in the Championship.

The game has moved on from when we were last in the Championship. But one thing hasn't changed and that is teams taking the initiative for long periods and creating pressure. 

So playing a proper no10 like Stiepermann was with Teemu is something we need desperately.  At the moment, especially now Dowell is out long term, I think Stiepermann needs another chance.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Played well, best performance this season to be honest. Should we have also had a pen? Probably.

Rupp had a good game which people won't like hearing.

Vrancic had one of his better substitute appearances than hes had for a long time.

To be fair, Rupp maintained his normal standards including a chip straight to the keeper. 

4 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I do wonder if we have gone too far away from what made us tick in our promotion season. Pukki fed off scraps today without the service of Stiepermann, Leitner and Buendia. I'm not sure our squad is good enough.

I’m not sure what made us tick in our promotion season is sustainable - not in the prem at least. The target should not be to replicate that but to build something which has a better chance of success next time we go up.

Today wasn’t bad but as you say, the issue was that we just didn’t have that ability to create decent chances. Pukki when we went up might have turned nothing into something. Maddison the year before. Without Buendia and Cantwell, I’m not sure that our attack and attacking midfield is good enough to do so this time round.

Edited by Aggy

No threat in final third. Same as last year. 
time to start 2 up front and one of them NOT Pukki. He cannot continue to have a place based on a good season before last. 

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

I’m not sure what made us tick in our promotion season is sustainable - not in the prem at least. The target should not be to replicate that but to build something which has a better chance of success next time we go up.

Today wasn’t bad but as you say, the issue was that we just didn’t have that ability to create decent chances. Pukki when we went up might have turned nothing into something. Maddison the year before. Without Buendia and Cantwell, I’m not sure that our attack and attacking midfield is good enough to do so this time round.

I agree, but we know it can work in the Championship. If/when we get to the Premier League again, we can then invest further in the squad and build on what we have. I genuinely believe we weren't too far off last season. Injuries, recruitment and a gradual draining of confidence left us lacking. 

Bournemouth look exactly like the same side that we've been seeing for the last five years - organised and hard working. Stick to what you know.

Pukki scored 11 PL goals last season and has already scored this season. I don't think it's form from two years ago that's keeping him in.

10 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Bournemouth look exactly like the same side that we've been seeing for the last five years - organised and hard working. Stick to what you know.

That's no surprise as Tindall has been there years and no doubt instrumental in the way they've played for all that time. 

IMO we deserved at least a draw - it is far from the worst result in the world. Finding our ‘mojo’ was always likely to take a few games - the people writing us off already really ought to get out more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

IMO we deserved at least a draw - it is far from the worst result in the world. Finding our ‘mojo’ was always likely to take a few games - the people writing us off already really ought to get out more. 

Agreed. Where were we after the first 6 games of the promotion season? We only won one I think? No, everyone is right, let's just panic now... 

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m sure people would love to get out more at the moment...maybe a trip out to watch the football? Holiday abroad? Party until the early hours in a bar? 

Next week is a team in disarray in Derby. Letsnotgive them achsnce to put it right.

We need to sort out this behind the scenes rubbish on Monday.

Pick a team that is not just ordinary like todays and get an impressive win under our belts.

Buendia and Cantwell can be picked and told they will be expected to earn their £20K a week. Or else they will rot until their contracts end. The privileged little ppratts were on full money during lockdown and owe the club.

41 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

That's no surprise as Tindall has been there years and no doubt instrumental in the way they've played for all that time. 

I know. 

The point is that we don't look to be sticking to our philosophy or playing to our strengths. 30 crosses in to Pukki today.

Just now, Yellow and Green said:

I know. 

The point is that we don't look to be sticking to our philosophy or playing to our strengths. 30 crosses in to Pukki today.

Unfortunately Farke has been proven to be naive. 

He doesn't read how to change a game and never seems to know when to change a game. 

If your game plan is to get crosses in the box, play Hugill 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1