vlad666

Cantwell omitted from squad

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Which players do you think we've sold on the cheap over the years??

Yes I don't think that's really correct, occasionally may be.

Weren't we the first club in the country to get a £5m fee when we sold Chris Sutton?

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I know what you’re saying, it’s why I said that “why do I feel this way”. Why is it that I feel like we sell cheaply. Not really sure I can substantiate it, but it just always feels that way as you’re looking on at other clubs selling players for obscene amounts.

I don’t know, it’s hard to say isn’t it because we never know the truth about fees but I would say that the rumoured basic fee for Lewis seemed cheap. £15 for Cantwell is tantamount to daylight robbery in my opinion, IF, there’s any truth in it of course. 

3 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Why do I always feel that we sell our players far cheaper than other clubs? 

For the same reason that every club (bar the elite) think the ref is always against them, or a striker who hasn't scored in x games scores against them, or a team that can't win, wins, or the media are against you etc etc. It's human nature to notice it against you and think you (the football club) are somehow specially unlucky. We're not.

He may go for cheap, but until he has actually gone for cheap, it's probably worth us keeping our powder dry, feeling concerned we always sell cheaply. It hasn't happened (yet).

Cantwell has done exceptionally well. I certainly thought last season he would be sent out on loan. But by god I am happy he didnt as he was a shining light when many players did not step up.

He has followed hoolahan, maddison, and Pritchard in that role. He has some fantastic attributes with balance, vision, two great feet and a great level of confidence that I enjoy to watch. He is a star player, i also think he will continue to get better.

So i would say his value of 20 million is justified. I wont begrudge him a move if he gets one at all, he deserves it.

We are producing fantastic players, martin looks a great prospect to come through this year. This is our position we develop to the level that Cantwell is at, if offers come in that are at our valuation then I have no problem with a player leaving.

We will have speculation until the window shuts and that shows how good our development is and also that each player has grasped the chance and proven they are very good players.

I agree there are some players you are deeply sad to see go when you know they can give so much, for me that is Emi. But the others have proven their worth and if they move on then all can be happy if the value is right.

• Like 5

We get the going rate for our players and imo pretty-much always have - some do seem to have a rather inflated opinion of what our guys are worth to other sides.

IMO Todd would have been on the bench (at best)today so it’s not that big a miss if he’s not there.  If he had decided he’s not interested then get shot - footballers really do seem to live in a totally different planet to the rest of us and have little idea what the real world is like particularly under the current climate when many are glad to be in work at all.

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

For the same reason that every club (bar the elite) think the ref is always against them, or a striker who hasn't scored in x games scores against them, or a team that can't win, wins, or the media are against you etc etc. It's human nature to notice it against you and think you (the football club) are somehow specially unlucky. We're not.

He may go for cheap, but until he has actually gone for cheap, it's probably worth us keeping our powder dry, feeling concerned we always sell cheaply. It hasn't happened (yet).

I think this probably the reason. You’re right. It’s not really even about the money though it’s just so saddening the thought of seeing such a good young crop of players potentially disappear. It’s why not staying up last year was a bigger disaster than the club tell us. We had the nucleus of something very special, something that only staying up would be able to nurture.

Taking into account Covid, 20 million plus add ons should be the least we let him go for. Showed he can score and create in the top league, which is gold dust, so should be more than Lewis.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

I think this probably the reason. You’re right. It’s not really even about the money though it’s just so saddening the thought of seeing such a good young crop of players potentially disappear. It’s why not staying up last year was a bigger disaster than the club tell us. We had the nucleus of something very special, something that only staying up would be able to nurture.

If we'd stayed up these players would still be in demand and we'd still sell. It's nuts to think they'd stay with us. 

Out of all the "big 4" i hope he is the one that goes.

a) throwing the biggest strop of them all

b) more suited to prem level, not that effective at championship level

c) the least talent of the 4

d) wasn't a main cog in our promotion season

e) we have Stiepermann, Vrancic, Idah, Hugill Placheta as viable options to replace him in the 11

f) will wind up my gruff Yorkshire mates that don't like his hair

I wish him well but I wouldn't miss him like the others

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

To question whether this is about a possible transfer and not team selection is hardly an agenda against the club. When was the last time Todd never made the match  squad for tactical reasons? 

I think the agenda comment was more in reference to these big transfer stories breaking on match days

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Out of all the "big 4" i hope he is the one that goes.

a) throwing the biggest strop of them all

b) more suited to prem level, not that effective at championship level

c) the least talent of the 4

d) wasn't a main cog in our promotion season

e) we have Stiepermann, Vrancic, Idah, Hugill Placheta as viable options to replace him in the 11

f) will wind up my gruff Yorkshire mates that don't like his hair

I wish him well but I wouldn't miss him like the others

Whilst I fully acknowledge the great season he had last year, I have to admit that I wouldn't be that bothered if Cantwell left. Emi is the man to keep.

OTBC

• Like 1

I wonder if there is anything in the Pritchard rumours?....if we could sell Cantwell for 15m and get Pritchard for say 3 or 4m ...that might be fair deal?

Cantwell isnt of use to us in this league ...moreso if his head isnt in it.

Not good enough / strong enough to play in the no.10 and we have better options wide.

Unless we're going to start playing 442 with Hugill/Idah up with Pukki, with Dowell out until the new year we're going to have to do something arent we?

....unless Steipermann can reprise his role of 2 seasons ago

6 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

If we'd stayed up these players would still be in demand and we'd still sell. It's nuts to think they'd stay with us. 

That's true. The players are in demand as it is, a few more goals and assists from Buendia, another 5 or so goals from Pukki, a few more solid displays from Godfrey/Aarons to keep us up and those players would be even more in demand 

Thinking about different scenarios, one (completely baseless) theory I've come up with wonders if Cantwell had a move lined up/ had been promised we would let him go, and Dowell's injury has meant that we've reneged on that arrangement and he's had a strop.

At any rate,Jamal Lewis only just got sold, as a defender, for £15mil. Todd is an attacker, he's English and has a full season of standing out in a poor side at the top level behind him- there's no way the two players move for the same fee.

I am intrigued by the news that he hasn't traveled today, simply because I have a suspicion that we might roll out a 3-5-2 today with Buendia behind Pukki and Hugill and I find that idea very exciting.

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I wonder if there is anything in the Pritchard rumours?....if we could sell Cantwell for 15m and get Pritchard for say 3 or 4m ...that might be fair deal?

Cantwell isnt of use to us in this league ...moreso if his head isnt in it.

Not good enough / strong enough to play in the no.10 and we have better options wide.

Unless we're going to start playing 442 with Hugill/Idah up with Pukki, with Dowell out until the new year we're going to have to do something arent we?

....unless Steipermann can reprise his role of 2 seasons ago

At his best for us, Pritchard was class at Championship level. Whether he can still perform to that level is the real question. 

OTBC

Take the money. If he wants to go then let him. Leaving him out for tactical reasons is pure nonsense. We aren't stupid. I'm assuming Aaron's will play today despite the attention from Barca, Bayern and Milan etc. 

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Thinking about different scenarios, one (completely baseless) theory I've come up with wonders if Cantwell had a move lined up/ had been promised we would let him go, and Dowell's injury has meant that we've reneged on that arrangement and he's had a strop.

At any rate,Jamal Lewis only just got sold, as a defender, for £15mil. Todd is an attacker, he's English and has a full season of standing out in a poor side at the top level behind him- there's no way the two players move for the same fee.

I am intrigued by the news that he hasn't traveled today, simply because I have a suspicion that we might roll out a 3-5-2 today with Buendia behind Pukki and Hugill and I find that idea very exciting.

I'd find it even more exciting if Idah were starting ahead of Hugill. 

The videos posted on here over the lockdown of Cantwell and his selfies on social media in my opinion gave the impression of a young man full of his own hype and turning up for every game with a different haircut would not surprise me that it does not suit the ethics of Webber or Farke for that matter.

Cantwell has been below par in the first two games which has been evident to anybody watching the lad.

Has his head been turned, has he downed tools or is he omitted for the good of the squad for the game today nobody knows but if he is becoming a disruptive influence for whatever reason sell and move on.

5 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

At his best for us, Pritchard was class at Championship level. Whether he can still perform to that level is the real question. 

OTBC

In fairness though, after his honeymoon period at Huddersfield was over he has looked decidedly average when I've seen him,including in the champs.

Maybe Farke is going to surprise us today by playing three at the back, would that make a difference to his squad selection? 

41 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Ruel Fox. Still hurts

• Like 1

I’d have expected him to be on the bench today anyway, he’s not exactly excelled in the first two games. If he wants to leave then get the going rate then move on. I personally don’t think our chances this season will be effected by his departure. 

Cantwell shone for 6 months in the champ and 3 months in the prem. 

He's not as good as he thinks, and his attitude is lazy and arrogant. 

15 million plus addons is great money. 

10 minutes ago, daisy said:

Maybe Farke is going to surprise us today by playing three at the back, would that make a difference to his squad selection? 

Why on earth would he do that?