vlad666

Cantwell omitted from squad

If he goes then its not unexpected is it?

I question why the squad has been weakened because of a pending transfer. He is atop player and a part of the matchday. If Leeds want him then they will have to take a chance. I don't know why we shouldn't play him. The risk of an career ending injury is possible every time they play.

1 minute ago, Jerrykerry said:

Why on earth would he do that? 

He's talked about doing it, and it's the reason that we have five centre backs on our books. Not sure today is the right time to do it, but there's every chance we'll be adding a back-three formation to our armoury as the season progresses.

53 minutes ago, smooth said:

Cantwell has done exceptionally well. I certainly thought last season he would be sent out on loan. But by god I am happy he didnt as he was a shining light when many players did not step up.

He has followed hoolahan, maddison, and Pritchard in that role. He has some fantastic attributes with balance, vision, two great feet and a great level of confidence that I enjoy to watch. He is a star player, i also think he will continue to get better.

So i would say his value of 20 million is justified. I wont begrudge him a move if he gets one at all, he deserves it.

We are producing fantastic players, martin looks a great prospect to come through this year. This is our position we develop to the level that Cantwell is at, if offers come in that are at our valuation then I have no problem with a player leaving.

We will have speculation until the window shuts and that shows how good our development is and also that each player has grasped the chance and proven they are very good players.

I agree there are some players you are deeply sad to see go when you know they can give so much, for me that is Emi. But the others have proven their worth and if they move on then all can be happy if the value is right.

This, I would say he is worth more than £20M given his age, potential, nationality, England U21 caps, Premier League experience and Premier League performances/goals in, lets face it,  a team not good enough for that league. Imagine what he could do in an half decent Premier League team.............

• Like 1

If it is £15m plus add on's that would take the package to a £20m potential total then I think it's decent value for both clubs.

Edited by sonyc

Cantwell has never got the credit he deserved and when he does its very begrudgingly by some who can't cope with hair cuts and general youngster lifestyles. Would be disappointing to lose him.

• Like 4

If I had to pick two of the crown jewels to go, I'd pick Lewis and Cantwell. Cantwell, for me, is more of a classic number 10 and whilst he is effective coming in off a wing, he seems better behind a striker. 4-2-3-1 has to be rather narrow for him to get the best out of him. I also agree that we should aim for similar money to what we got for Maddison.

Some would wonder why, bearing in mind Maddison also has excellent set-pieces, but he was untested at Premier level. Cantwell did well in a struggling Premier side. So, I'd only accept £15m if we had several clauses in there (after a certain number of appearances / goals / cup win / sell-on clause) bearing in mind we scored £20m plus for Maddison.

Also, I tend to think we're a bit more fragile out of possession when both Cantwell and Buendia are on at the same time. Keeping Buendia but selling Cantwell opens the door for a speed merchant on a wing. Hello, Messrs Hernandez or Placheta. Or even Martin's looking like he's ready to replace him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kirku said:

That fee is way too low and it'll be a real shame if he goes

You have literally no idea what add ons are included. 

You do know the fee isn't the fee right? 

5 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

We'll be getting short of scapegoats if he goes.

And the hair ridicule threads will die unless someone can step up.

Who gets to wear his gloves as well ?

• Haha 1

£15-20 million is very good money for Cantwell who I think is overrated.

Similar to Lewis, I don't think he'll cut it consistently at EPL level. His all round game is a way off. I can understand the interest, his style does catch the eye, but he's often a passenger. He may produce pretty technical passes, but they're rarely goal scoring assists. When pressed he's prone to miss-placed passes, and can't work in tight spots like a Buendia or Maddison can. His footwork isn't as quick as those two, and he isn't in the same class. 

£25 million fees, we'll get those with Aarons and Godfrey. 

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

No buendia today so he's off as well. 

If that's the case, and with Dowells injury, we need a replacement. I can see Pritchard happening. 

No Buendia as well today makes it all the more worrying. iMO the government putting an end to match day attendance trials has changed the club’s attitude to the need to sell players. 

22 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

You have literally no idea what add ons are included. 

You do know the fee isn't the fee right? 

Zzzz

10 minutes ago, Surfer said:

No Buendia as well today makes it all the more worrying. iMO the government putting an end to match day attendance trials has changed the club’s attitude to the need to sell players. 

This could even spell the end of Norwich’s automatic promotion hopes. We were among the favourites this season because of keeping our star players and our squad depth.
Now the former are mostly off and the latter are being loaned out (or long term injured), it will be interesting to see if Mr W can work his magic again.

If true, I think 15m is very disappointing.

We've given Newcastle and Leeds very good value on Lewis and Cantwell. Two very promising young players who are years away from their peak.

I thought the 'perk' of our embarrassing investment last season was that we would be able to retain our best players, or at least take premier league clubs to the bank. 15m is not big money in today's game. Christ, Aston Villa spent 30m on Watkins. 

1 hour ago, Jerrykerry said:

Cantwell shone for 6 months in the champ and 3 months in the prem. 

He's not as good as he thinks, and his attitude is lazy and arrogant. 

15 million plus addons is great money. 

Don't agree with this.

He was superb in the Prem overall considering how poor we were. He is one of those players that drive us forward and gives us momentum, which is why we may well miss him this afternoon. 

It is testament to him that he put the maximum effort in and played well in the PL that we have the interest in him we have. Whilst owing us very little, we are looking at receiving the best part of 20milNot a bad return for a player who is poor, lazy and arrogant.

To say he is lazy and arrogant is also below the belt. The chap is in his early 20s and is a fabulous player, he certainly is not lazy and I suspect most do not know him enough to call him arrogant (even though that can be a positive trait in a player)

People should get off the backs of our young players and understand it's not always quite a straight forward as it appears.

Good luck to the lad.

• Like 4

Said ages ago on FTW’s contract thread (I think it was) that we might choose to cash in on Cantwell. If he stays and has a good season our negotiating position is hampered by him only having a year left on his contract next summer. If he has a bad season his price plummets. Now is the most he’ll ever be worth in a City shirt unless he extends his contract.

15mil plus 5 in add ons about right imo. Let’s not forget in our championship winning season he wasn’t particularly outstanding. Last season he was really good in bits but just alright in others (and sometimes anonymous, much like the rest of the side). So still a bit of a gamble for a prem side - not going to be a guaranteed week in week out starter. Lewis on the other hand was signed as a starter they expect to play every game if not injured. Obviously Lewis a full back so usually costs less than an attacking midfielder, but we saw in his first Newcastle game that he created more chances and put the ball in the box more than any other Newcastle player - it’s not the same as it was ten fifteen years ago when your defenders were steady defensive players fairly easy to replace with another steady defensive player for not a lot of money. 

4 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Said ages ago on FTW’s contract thread (I think it was) that we might choose to cash in on Cantwell. If he stays and has a good season our negotiating position is hampered by him only having a year left on his contract next summer. If he has a bad season his price plummets. Now is the most he’ll ever be worth in a City shirt unless he extends his contract.

Spot on.

Cantwell, with his endeavours last season has probably earned us a substantial sum this one.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Long as Ruup doesn't start instead of him 🙃

'Nothing to do with transfer speculation' yeah thats **** if this is true hes off guaranteed 

This aged well 🤣

Cantwell's Norwich career over the last two seasons -

Championship season - gives neat and tidy performances in Carabou cup games without creating much, enough though to get him into the first team where he continued that neat and tidy play for a few weeks, occasionally showing flashes of excellent touches. Then loses his place in the team for a few weeks and on return to the team doesn't show quite the same level of performances.

Premier League season - starts the season on fire, full of enthusiasm and confidence, scores a few then his performances drop off, until later in the season he responds to a general call from Farke for players to step up and be more effective, which he did. Shows his growing confidence in the penalty taken at Tottenham and the goal against Man Utd. 

So a mixed time (imo).  My overall impression of him as a player is that he has talent and confidence and drive, but has a long way to go to be a top player.  I've long thought he would be better moving on and we would be better off letting him go, especially if he thinks he is better than he is, so if that is happening it is part of the evolution of the club. Also, players that don't give 100% every time they step on to a training ground or match day pitch don't deserve to be considered for the team and if that has been noticed then more power to the manager for standing up and saying so.

• Like 1

Anyone downplaying Cantwell's contribution last season needs their heads tapping. He looked a completely different prospect from the very first game at Liverpool and never let off. By far and away our biggest goal threat from midfield, a constant menace off and on the ball - tireless in chasing back. Okay he had some poor games but did you see how sh1t the entire team was (other than Krul)?

Jesus. What more could've been expected of a 21 year old's breakthrough season?

Yes it's **** of him if he's downed tools in training. It's **** that one of our own are going like this. It's **** that we're losing a player who surely would've been a huge asset this season. But let's not change history just to suit your current agenda of ill-feeling, or because you hold his social media profile or haircut weirdly against him.

He deserves stick for the way this is unfolding (clearly if Farke's decision was justified), but let's not pretend his attitude or desire on the pitch is anything short of excellent. Because it is. 

Side note I am interested to hear @Bethnal Yellow and Green's take. That tweet reads very sympathically towards Cantwell so I wonder if he is a bit more aware of the circumstances. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Cantwell's Norwich career over the last two seasons -

Championship season - gives neat and tidy performances in Carabou cup games without creating much, enough though to get him into the first team where he continued that neat and tidy play for a few weeks, occasionally showing flashes of excellent touches. Then loses his place in the team for a few weeks and on return to the team doesn't show quite the same level of performances.

Premier League season - starts the season on fire, full of enthusiasm and confidence, scores a few then his performances drop off, until later in the season he responds to a general call from Farke for players to step up and be more effective, which he did. Shows his growing confidence in the penalty taken at Tottenham and the goal against Man Utd. 

So a mixed time (imo).  My overall impression of him as a player is that he has talent and confidence and drive, but has a long way to go to be a top player.  I've long thought he would be better moving on and we would be better off letting him go, especially if he thinks he is better than he is, so if that is happening it is part of the evolution of the club. Also, players that don't give 100% every time they step on to a training ground or match day pitch don't deserve to be considered for the team and if that has been noticed then more power to the manager for standing up and saying so.

Good post agree with everything you said , can'twell  seems to think he's charlie big potatoes but how much would we get if sold him?

Phil Hay saying this morning the Todd to Leeds thing is nowhere near as likely as some outlets are reporting. Could it be we see him against Derby at the weekend?