Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Who would you place in your Norwich city "All time best or Favourite 11"?

Thought this could make for an interesting little topic and discussion. And yes, some of my players are out of position but hey it's not obviously meant to be a viable 11.

And of course my formation is 4-4-F'ing-2  😉

44 faking 2.png

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Keelan

Aarons

Watson 

Bruce

Bowen

Peters 

Buendia 

Barham

Huckerby

Bowyer 

Sutton 

That may not be the best 11 individuals but it would be an amazing team 

• Like 1

i would Put R Fox in as i had great memories of him and his pace down the wing 

Robert Fleck , My Family are from Glasgow and big Rangers Fans so was excited when we signed him and followed his career here 

so i would go 

Woods 

Aarons Bruce Watson Drury

Maddison Gary holt 

Fox                                  Hucks 

Fleck Ashton 

Edited by norfolkngood

How has nobody picked Crook? Shame on you.                             

Gunn

Culverhouse, Bruce, Watson, Bowen

Crook, Peters

Fox,                  Huckerby,             Eadie

Sutton

I think Huckerby would have enjoyed the no. 10 position, if it was more prevalent when he played. I also tried, very hard to fit Grant Holt in but ultimately, I think Sutton was a tiny bit better. I broke my own self-imposed rule of only picking players that I have seen play by picking Peters.

i did B

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

Gunn

Crook, Peters

Sutton

I think Huckerby would have enjoyed the no. 10 position, if it was more prevalent when he played. I also tried, very hard to fit Grant Holt in but ultimately, I think Sutton was a tiny bit better. I broke my own self-imposed rule of only picking players that I have seen play by picking Peters.

Maddison took Crooks place in my Team but i think crook is the best passer of a ball i have seen at Norwich in my time 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Gunn

Crook, Peters

Sutton

I think you did right - have always thought it extremely difficult to fairly compare different generations of players but nevertheless for those of us old enough to have seen them I think there are two players who are nailed on and not even up for discussion - Kevin Keelan and Martin Peters.

Midfield is particularly difficult as we've had so many great midfielders over the years but I'm very surprised that no one has yet mentioned Hugh Curran, Graham Paddon or Colin Suggett - all fantastic players for us. Not forgetting Mick Channon, Asa Hartford...........................

Edited by Creative Midfielder
Missed the crucial word 'old' out!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Thought this could make for an interesting little topic and discussion. And yes, some of my players are out of position but hey it's not obviously meant to be a viable 11.

And of course my formation is 4-4-F'ing-2  😉

44 faking 2.png

Surprised to see Patrick Roberts and Adrian Forbes in there, but each to his own.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Every time this type of thread comes up it kind of gives away the posters age. 😜😁

I also wonder if we really have to have this post Once every two months. There are only a limited amount of people who post on here so the answers shouldn’t have really changed since the one done in July

The older ones amongst us would probably find a space for the likes of Barry Butler,Ken Foggo,Errol Crosson,Ralph Hunt,Tommy Bryceland and Terry Bly.

To be honest it really is an almost impossible task.

15 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Gunn

Crook, Peters

Sutton

By today's standards this line-up doesn't give the back 4 much help, but it would be a fantastic team to watch on the attack - Sutton would have to be subbed at half-time as he'd be exhausted from banging them in - a bit like a Terrier on a straw-stack.

Maybe put Hockey in for Crook to toughen things up a bit - and run a book on how long he'd stay on the pitch for (I say 10 minutes)?

19 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

By today's standards this line-up doesn't give the back 4 much help, but it would be a fantastic team to watch on the attack - Sutton would have to be subbed at half-time as he'd be exhausted from banging them in - a bit like a Terrier on a straw-stack.

Maybe put Hockey in for Crook to toughen things up a bit - and run a book on how long he'd stay on the pitch for (I say 10 minutes)?

Agree totally about the support for the defence. Bowen was basically a winger most of the time too! I never saw Hockey play (but heard about him obviously). I can't think (and feel free to correct me) of any central defensive midfielders who we have had in the last 30-35 years of my attention that would fit that company, so I went with two 'classy' central midfielders (whom I agree would get overrun when we didn't have the ball). 

Edited by All the Germans

The favourite vs best actual functioning side teams don’t change much for me (players I can remember seeing).

Best players 4132 - Green, Drury, Bassong, Mackay, Aarons, Tettey, Huckerby, Hoolahan, Buendia, Roberts, Grant Holt.

Best functioning system 4231 - switch out Roberts for Howson who slots in next to Tettey.

Depends what age you are I’ve watched 51 years of Ncfc with thousands of different players 

mine would be 

keelan, culvehouse  stringer forbes , Bowen 

livermore , peters , paddon,

huckerby, Davies, Foggo, 

subs sutton , Bruce, Reeves, suggett krul 

I was unlucky enough to have missed 2 perennial 'all time XI-ers' by one season in Keelan and Peters, so never saw them play...Duncan Forbes was injured for practially all of my first season too.

So for the players I saw...  (1980/81 onwards)

.......Woods.......

Culverhouse  Bruce  Watson Bowen

Huckerby     Crook    Townsend   Eadie

Fleck    Sutton

Subs. Gunn ,Linighan ,(Martin) O'Neill, Gordon,Fox,Drinkell,Deehan     ....shamefully , I can't find a place for Holt on the bench!?!

5 hours ago, Grumpy said:

To be honest it really is an almost impossible task.

Agree with this.  So many superb servants of the club over the years. You think of one lot of eleven and then you think of others and then it is impossible to compare between different eras. 

However.......

Keelan

Aarons Forbes Bruce Bowen

Gordon Crook Huckerby Peters

Holt Pukki

To put Pukki in there might raise an eyebrow or two, but his all round play is that good imo - and his 30 goals in a season puts him up there against the likes of Mcdougall, Fleck Sutton etc.

Edited by lake district canary

6 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Every time this type of thread comes up it kind of gives away the posters age. 😜😁

Very true. Most of them have obviously never heard of the greatest centre back - Barry Butler

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vos said:

Very true. Most of them have obviously never heard of the greatest centre back - Barry Butler

Dead right Vos. Then again, but how about Maurice Norman? Went on to play 23 games for England and over 350 for Spurs.

• Like 1

How about this lot.....

image.png.ae3a5950005d40986d7a762285e2d80a.png

Just four names.....

Woods, Bennett, Buttler and O'Neil.

Can anyone else beat that?

Edited by lappinitup