Sign in to follow this  
grababackpackcanary

Andrew Surman

With Dowell out , and us looking to shift a lot of our midfielders on why not sign surman on a 6 month hoolahan ala west brom contract. He knows the club ,brings expertise , plays the style of football we do and could be a low risk option.Just a thought.

• Like 1

I really like him as a player, but I'm not sure he's right for us, where does he fit in this side? He can't play a deeper role in our midfield for obvious reasons, isn't a no.10 and lacks the energy, pressing ability and movement needed to play the wide roles for us. He's a great crosser and is brilliant in dead ball situations. If we played a deeper midfield he could work on the left of a central 3 or in a 442 could play left wing so long as our central 2 were excellent box to box players (we don't have any of these), but in both of these scenarios you'd also need a striker that thrives on crosses from deep for him to be effective in open play. Hugill maybe, but I still think Pukki will start nearly every game for us this year so looking at it from a tactical point of view I don't see him fitting in tbh. 

Strange thought to be honest. We've got Skipp, Sorenson, Tettey, Mclean, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Rupp,  Buendia, Cantwell, Hernandez, Placheta and Martin to play in the central midfield and wide midfield and Number 10 roles already. 

Surman doesn't do what we were using Dowell for. What Surman does we have plenty of options for 

1 hour ago, grababackpackcanary said:

With Dowell out , and us looking to shift a lot of our midfielders on why not sign surman on a 6 month hoolahan ala west brom contract. He knows the club ,brings expertise , plays the style of football we do and could be a low risk option.Just a thought.

I'd rather Farke and Leitner kissed and made up than sign a has been.