Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Are the Football Association Shooting Themselves in the Foot

After the Leyton Orient debacle I have just watched this report on Midlands Today. A grassroots team Bartley Reds played Saturday. After the match one of their players had to have a Covid test. The test was positive, resulting in 7 players currently going into isolation. Very sensibly ( in my opinion ) Bartley Reds thought it best to call this weekends game off with safety concerns for both themselves and the opposition, after all we don’t want the virus spreading. So that’s where the sensible bit finishes. Based on FA advice Bartley Reds were told they have to play or they will be fined and deducted points. The FA says these other players do not have a positive test result therefore under the guidelines they should not be self isolating as football is a limited contact sport. To be fair to the Bartley Reds manager he has told the league to do one and send him the fine.

Now it is only my opinion but with this attitude the FA are shooting themselves in the foot and it won’t be long before Football being played in any setting has to be questioned. I will stand to be corrected but as I understood it playing sport was going to be safe. I have put the link below, it is about 2 minutes in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000mwc4/midlands-today-lunchtime-news-24092020

Wbb - the FA's stance was applied at my 16yo's club.  They were in the semi-final of a cup competition that was rolled over into this year.  Now half of the team attended a sixth form where one person had suspected C-19, so they had been asked to isolate.  This meant they were not available for the cup match.  The local FA responded by saying they had to forfeit the game, one they stood a good chance of winning, because the rules was the rules.  Just think if this happened in the FA Cup?

With that attitude it's just a matter of time before football is put back on ice as the virus spreads from team to team every weekend.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 1

After the announcement that they had to forfeit the Spurs game and couldn't either play the U18s or postpone it until next week, the Leyton Orient chairman said, quite correctly, that punishing sides for having players that test positive is just going to mean that clubs won't test. Obviously that risks outbreaks within the squad, like at Leyton Orient, and also the players' families and friends, which in turn risks a larger scale outbreak. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

After the announcement that they had to forfeit the Spurs game and couldn't either play the U18s or postpone it until next week, the Leyton Orient chairman said, quite correctly, that punishing sides for having players that test positive is just going to mean that clubs won't test. Obviously that risks outbreaks within the squad, like at Leyton Orient, and also the players' families and friends, which in turn risks a larger scale outbreak. 

Spot on. 
As the FA for financial reasons need football to carry on, their attitude seems crazy. Don’t know if anyone watched the report but fair play to the manager who has said he is not compromising safety and will take on the FA.

None of us want football to stop but a couple of cases like this making national news will have people questioning why footballers ( even at this level ) are being asked carry on whatever when relatives can’t even meet in each other’s houses.

The excuse they used with Spurs was their fixtures, the excuse in grassroots football, it is not a full contact sport so you can play even if you are awaiting a test. A lot of refs in grassroots football for starters will be over 60, as will coaches managers ect.

Full support to you Bartley Reds

9 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

The FA have been unfit for purpose for a long time.

Agreed. I thought the EPL was bad enough but these numpties are just another level.

A bit more on the evening news. After the game both sides went into the club for a drink. Although against the rules 3 players shared a car with the positive player ( I agree shouldn’t happen, but how do the fa / government think players can all get to games in their own cars ). Yep rules were broken, but now the FA have decided these players are not at risk as it is a limited contact sport.

As a footnote the Walsall v Orient game has been called off on Saturday as Orient has now become a major outbreak. Now the FA will have to set a precedent in a more high profile game. Their decisions now may or may not result in the halting of project restart.

Seems to be more than the FA. The Czech Republic called off their game against Scotland only for UEFA to state it was going ahead. It's clear they want it to be seen as business as normal. To many games called off and your are right they can be questioned more easily.