Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Ever been caught out?

I mean at a match or any sporting event you shouldn't have been at, or with someone you should not have been with?😲

As a young boy I use to travel to watch city with a friend and his family regularly in the late 70s, but I wanted to go 'with the lads' into the rather more exciting Barclay end. Any way come the day I cycled to catch my lift to the game but this time not with my friends but to our local ton to catch the football bus. It was great, lots of naughty singing and being in the old Barclay.

Unfortunately, word got out and my parents were not pleased (to say the least). However that first trip led to many others including the promotion game against sheff wed. I had informed my parents that it was against sheff wed , but forgot to mention it was in sheffield!

Again, when very late back I had some explaining to do.

Happy days

4 hours ago, Rabbit hole said:

Has anyone been caught at a mid game romance in the toilets? 

Something you want to get off your chest RH?

14 hours ago, Rabbit hole said:

Has anyone been caught at a mid game romance in the toilets? 

This would have taken some doing , in the old Barclay toilets of yesteryear

• Haha 1

Not football related, but got offered tickets for centre court at Wimbledon one year, on a week day, so as an opportunity not to be missed I took a day off sick......unfortunately when we got back and watched the highlights, every time the camera went on the players in their chairs in between games, we were in full view of anyone watching just over the shoulder of Boris Becker.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In the early 80s I skived off school a couple of times  to go to midweek away games with my mate Chris . We’d save our money , get changed in the locker room at school then run down to either Carrow Road for a coach or the train station. I’d never give a ff for what the school thought. Used to tell my mum I was going round a mates after school or whatever . Mum would believe any story I’d come up with . Dad had died a few years before and looking back she wasn’t mentally a well woman at all. So I feel pretty ****ty about that to say the least ! But as a teenager the urge to see Norwich play was all consuming . Chris’s mum found out , not the school , and that put an end to it .

Edited by Pockthorpe

My Dad had an inkling there'd be trouble at 'the man u game' mid seventies, said I couldnt go, I was 14/15 ,so I told him I was going to my girlfriends in Ludham and cycled off in that direction, caught the Neaves bus in sutton and ta da .. off to the match, ducking down as the bus came back through Stalham.

I was in the Barclay when it got a bit too mental and us kids were getting crushed, we were allowed on to the pitch and moved up to the river end. 

Aaaaaanyway after the match, we got held back and couldnt get to the Coach in time so had to hot foot it up the city to get the Eastern Counties 723 from the bus station to Sea Palling.... which doent go through sutton!!! Going through castle meadow there,was a stretford van hire van behind us and we were waving our scarves at the lads inside, when we stopped to let more people on , they all jumped out of tbe Van and onto the bus to give us a good hiding. Fortunately the front man had a bit of sense and stopped his fully grown man mates from getting at us as we were " just  foockin kids". Have to say for a minute I was a bit scared.  They swore at us and hopped back into their van, phew. 

Got back to Stalham safely then had to go the long way round to Sutton to avoid my house, in order to pick up my bike and cycle back home. I was 2 hrs late. Kept schtum,acted normal. Watching the news later with my Dad, before MOTD, bbc east did a bit about the trouble and the guy falling through the roof etc. My Dad very casually said " Christ son, that must have ben a bit of a scare , were you in the Barclay?".....Dumbass me said " yep, till they got us out and moved us.".....rumbled!!!! 

Total ban from CR for 2 months, he'd been up the high st earlier for a pint and someone who had been on the Bus told him what had happened. Small town life eh?

• Like 1