Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

mcveigh close to contract offer!!

has anyone been in for mcveigh? - brennan wanted to go and was snapped up by soton.  in his current form, you''d imagine quite a few teams would be enquiring, but obviously notas worthy wouldn''t be tangling a contract carrot in front of his nose, he''d be signing the player up pronto.Is this a risk worth taking by worthy, because if wly scores 7-8 more goals by the seasons end, or plays well on the right wing, then surely somebody will want him for nowt in the summer and he could be tempted to go for first team football.Or, if earnie is coming, then he''ll be paired with thorne, leaving wly bench warming, or back on the right wing.  Either way, it looks like wly place is under threat with deano leaving andworthy feels confident enough to play hard ball with him over a new contract, and in public AGAIN.

I would say not even Worthless is stupid enough not to want to resign

WLY i think hes just trying to make him work his guts out till later in

the season when he will be offered a contract.But at that time who

could blame him for wanting to leave after his future has been so

uncertain for so long.

this is just typical of worthless! if it was any other player hed be begging them to sign a contract! if macveigh knows whats good for him hell tell worthy to stick it! i hope he stays though as we need him so bad i wish worthless would just poke off somewhere else and take all those useless idiots hes given contracts to with him!

What would you do ?

WLY could do the headless chicken impression to get a new contract or he could join a club on a free transfer (and probably a signing on fee)  where the manager would probably appreciate his skills.

Personally I would like to keep him but if I was him I know what my option would be.

Ooooh that article on the pinkun site has made me so angry! What are you playing at Worthy. A new contract for McVeigh a possible ''prospect'' but he has to ''go and earn it''?? You complete moran! MvVeigh is quality and if he leaves because of your actions then you deserve shooting! Until now I have been reserved in my calls for Worthy out but this is the final straw - get the man out now he''s totally lost the plot and is turning this club into a joke!! Brennan said he was looking for a club with ambition - says it all really! If I was McVeigh I''d tell Worthy what he could do with his offer of a new contract (if it even comes) and although I''d be gutted to see him go for the sake of the club, I wouldn''t blame him for a second!!!

I think Worthy must have a problem with McV. As many have noted, Worthy seems to have his favourites and his out-of-favours with little regard to how much they contribute to the game.

I am fuming about his latest retarded outburst about McVeigh. "We''ve seen glimpses of what he can do". Glimpses?! It was his re-emergence into the starting lineup that saw us win 5 games in December. He''s him to thank for the Manager of the Month award he''s got on his mantlepiece. McVeigh will leave, and he''ll do it with my best wishes. He''ll play until he makes one small error, Worthy will lambast him for it and he''ll be sentenced to a couple of months in the reserves again. He knows this. Working in those conditions is probably even preventing him from reaching his best.

Now here comes the rumour part. I know someone who was on the books at Norwich, almost broke into the First Team before being released recently. He ran into McVeigh last week and had a chat and was informed that McVeigh is looking to move to Spain next year and has no real intention to stay at Norwich. Now, I''m sure many of you will just discount that information as another silly rumour and I don''t blame you, but what I''m certain of is if we want McVeigh to be in green and yellow next year, Worthy must not be in charge.

" I know someone who was on the books at Norwich "

Care to name him ?

Also welcome to the board. I presume you are a complete newbie and not some regular poster using a new name.

Though given the content I would suggest you are the former.

Yeah, I have to admit that Worthington''s attitude towards Mcveigh is the main thing that infuriates me about him. He is obviously one of the main sources of creativity in our team and IMO we should be doing everything we can to hold onto him. And to say we have seen glimpses of what he can do is one of the greatest understatements of our club''s recent history.  

Isn''t it ironic that WLY Paul was the player who scored two goals at Crewe and saved Worthington from the chop??!!

I don''t give a s**t what Mc Veigh managed to do at Crewe or for five recent games.  It''s what he has''nt been doing for the past two seasons that bothers me!"!  I believe that it is a sign of weakness, that it is only when the contract is up for renewal, that a player starts putting the work in.  If I was his boss  h''ed be gone like quick silver.  I want men in the team that behave like grown-ups, not boys who sulk their time away, taking their money from the fans for nothing.  True! he can do it, when it suits him.  Thats not good enough for me!! 

Can''t disagree with you Beelsie but why does Worthington not apply this approach to others who clearly do not try?

IMO he is a bully with few man-management skills.

[quote user="beelsie"]I don''t give a s**t what Mc Veigh managed to do at Crewe or for five recent games.  It''s what he has''nt been doing for the past two seasons that bothers me!"!  I believe that it is a sign of weakness, that it is only when the contract is up for renewal, that a player starts putting the work in.  If I was his boss  h''ed be gone like quick silver.  I want men in the team that behave like grown-ups, not boys who sulk their time away, taking their money from the fans for nothing.  True! he can do it, when it suits him.  Thats not good enough for me!! [/quote]

And your a wait and see on Etuhu from what I remember....... well he did even give a s**t in his loan spell, let alone since he signed (and no s**t about him not being fit, it aint true he played for preston not 2 weeks before he signed for us)

All I say is another manager could probably get FAR more out of him than our esteemed manager can... one good game in 23 is what worthy said, that is about gary holts ratio in the premiership!!!!! Our esteemed manager wasnt complaining then....

As for putting the work in, I doubt he is doing much more than before - he is just getting picked (due to injury, there is no managerial genius behind it) now....

What he hasnt been doing, he hasnt been getting picked for one...

You want all hard workers eh beelsie, well at the moment we have a team you could be rightly proud of (pre 5 match winning streak when hughes was injured and mcveigh picked).... now why dont you think about taking those rose tinted specs off and see the reality!!! thinking like that is exactly why we are in this s**t position, hard workers like hughes are ok as long as their is some actual football ability in the team, not misused ability like Ashton, Hucks and McVeigh''s has been this season.

This managerial incompetance sticks out like a sore thumb i am afraid.

So lets do a beelsie/worthy and let another of our better players walk away on a free, perhaps we could get another hard working uninspired plodder on twice his wages to replace him?? Adebola anyone??

Either McVeigh is as beelsie says and only turns it on when absolutely necessary or its Worthy''s fault for not getting the most out of an obviously gifted.

I believe that its a bit of both, which means the two won''t be able to work together properly which is what we have seen.  So if both stay then we''ll see WLY in and out of the team, if Worthy goes well it all depends on who comes in and if WLY goes we miss someone who gives a good performance here and then but whom we cannot rely on.

Not sure its worth getting that exercised about this one.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

Either McVeigh is as beelsie says and only turns it on when absolutely necessary or its Worthy''s fault for not getting the most out of an obviously gifted.

I believe that its a bit of both, which means the two won''t be able to work together properly which is what we have seen.  So if both stay then we''ll see WLY in and out of the team, if Worthy goes well it all depends on who comes in and if WLY goes we miss someone who gives a good performance here and then but whom we cannot rely on.

Not sure its worth getting that exercised about this one.

[/quote]

Well i must admit I didnt think that about edworthy, onwards and upwards was my thought, my head was in the premiership..... looking back it isincredibly stupid decision, our failure to replace him has cost us numerous points this season.  How do we replace McVeigh wothout forking out??  he can play up front and left wing admirably and can do an ok job on the right...  That costs cash....

Mcviegh has been excellent for this club and when he has played regularly upfront he has done well. Problem is Worthy has always pushed out on the wings and while he is ok on left IMO he has never done it on the right .  He has fantastic ball skills which make up for his lack of ariel ability and pace, but needs the right service. I am amazed he is doing so well for NCFC at present because we seem to punt the ball up to the attackers, which makes his life difficult. He needs a big target man partner to feed off and Roberts was the ideal partner, shame he rarely played alongside him. A missed opportunity and I think he would have been superb.

Whats the betting earnshaw turns up and hes dropped again.

McViegh stay, Worthy GO!!

it just sums Worthy up though doesn''t it???

look at past form.. "golden Boy" Holt could have Sh**ter after Sh**ter and would still find himself in the team week after week with Worthy singing his praises..

Same could of been said of "Golden boy" hucks.. rubbish showing after Rubbish showing earlier this Season yet his place in them was Assured...

If hughes handt got injured he''d be the same....

Where as u get McVeigh, a player who actually gives a toss, who wants the team to succeed and is playing out of his skin.. either for a new contract.. or because he knows Worthington wont keep him and is trying to impress watching scouts/managers (and who can blame him?)

Worthington should realise that it was McVeigh who saved his job earlier this season, and during that 5 game unbeaten spell was the best player.. even now he is scoring goals and making life difficult...

He was the best player vs Watford and still found himself hauled off...

McVeigh should tell worthington to shoive the contract right there the sun doesnt shine! no doubt Worthy will reply "cant, already got 2 there from Edworthy and Svensson"

Get this arrogant Bully out now!

jas :)

"He was the best player vs Watford and still found himself hauled off..."

how many times has that happened this season, i remember earlier in the season he was by FAR the best player on the park and he was substituted to the fans amazement KTFers and Worthy outers alike!!

Is it unreasonable for Nigel  to offer a new contract  to McVeigh,  on the understanding that  he continues the form  that he`s shown recently ?     isn`t` that what any employer would ask  ?? 

If the recent  upturn in form shown by McVeigh  turns out to  be him showboating  because his contract is about up  , he may just be barking up the wrong tree !    he should look closely at that contract , and measure it against the short term gain [ if any ]   of   moving on   ,  because he`ll get short shrift  at another club  if he   messes them around !!! 

No offence Beelsie but didn''t McVeigh quit international football last year so he could focus on playing for City?  Is that the sort of sulking you are on about.

[quote user="sheded"]

Is it unreasonable for Nigel  to offer a new contract  to McVeigh,  on the understanding that  he continues the form  that he`s shown recently ?     isn`t` that what any employer would ask  ?? 

If the recent  upturn in form shown by McVeigh  turns out to  be him showboating  because his contract is about up  , he may just be barking up the wrong tree !    he should look closely at that contract , and measure it against the short term gain [ if any ]   of   moving on   ,  because he`ll get short shrift  at another club  if he   messes them around !!! 

[/quote]

Yeah but dont you get the impression McVeigh wasnt given a fair crack of the whip during the last 2 years??  the odd appearance as a sub, or always subbed if he started?? Other players had been consistently awful (Holty last season) and been given numerous games. Look at Etuhu now, if McVeigh had played like that in that many games Worthy would have freed him or sent him to train with the youth team.....  Favorites, pure and simple.  McVeigh was excellent in our play-off season (his first *real* football season) altho he struggled for fitness around christmas time.  Was one of the few bright spots from the following dismal season, and looked our only dangerous player untill hucks arrived in the following season, he was then played on the right (where he has never looked good), and from what i remember he was picked on the right whenever played in the prem too - more great management from our esteemeed idiot.

Given more chances in the correct position these last 2 years I have no doubt he would have pereformed, As Jim Brennan has shown if you never get picked it is VERY hard to keep up motivation and fitness (especially when you are the first person BLAMED by the manager whenever you do play, if you get played out of position all the time it must be an INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE.

.........and also he would probably have done a much better job than David Bentley in right midfield. Bentley was consistently poor but got played because of the attitude that he must be good if he comes from Arsenal. Dean Marney showed more desire in that one match against Coventry than Bentley showed in the whole of last season (Bolton (h) excluded). WLY HAS suffered in comparison toothers- perhaps he''s more mouthy??

[quote user="Tumbleweed"].........and also he would probably have done a much better job than David Bentley in right midfield. Bentley was consistently poor but got played because of the attitude that he must be good if he comes from Arsenal. Dean Marney showed more desire in that one match against Coventry than Bentley showed in the whole of last season (Bolton (h) excluded). WLY HAS suffered in comparison toothers- perhaps he''s more mouthy??[/quote]

Bentley did come across as a ''prima donna'' it has to be said.  Its a shame we had to suffer this attitude so blackburn can now reep the benefits of a more mature Bentley.  Having said that Worthy isnt really the sort of manager who is going to be able to get the best out of a player like David Bentley.

I have no time for any professional footballer who has tallent and is paid well who then fails to put the work in on a regular basis.  It''s a simple game and putting the work in so that the fans, and the manager, are able to get value for money.    You say another manager can get more out of him than Worthy can,  Flies against the reports from Preston, methinks.  I''ve no time for shirkers and prima donnas whoever they are, especially when my money is paying some of their wages.  It would indeed be nice if Worthy could kick out some of the poor performers, trouble we''d only field about 4players.  I don''t agree Paul, let some of our better players show us their ability to the fans when they wear the Yellow and Green outfit.  Also a hard worker does''nt have to be a plodder, think of a few hard working skillful players that Mourino has slogging their guts out at Chelsea, there others and you know them as well as I do. I can''t think of many times in the last two years when Ive been proud of the headless outfit that have posed as Norwich City.  I do not wear rose tinted specs when watching our so called team playing like schoolboys with less ideas and little effort.  I would not blame any manager for what we have witnessed to date being dealt out as football by so called professionals, who claim to be experienced.

[quote user="beelsie"]

That was the rumour, but I''m afraid I could''nt swallow it.

[/quote]

Sorry Bealsy when i said another manager could get more out of him i was talking about McVeigh. My original rant - thats wahat it was - i think post pub too :-) didnt make it too clear...

As for etuhu, well you never no, he may turn good, i just am not holding out much hope

Good bloody job.  Mcveigh has saved Worthy''s arse this season on several occasions.  He is the most technically gifted player at the is club.  Clever, quck thinking, nippy and imaginative.  Compare him with Huckerby for instance, who gets the plaudits for being painfully predictable and un imaginitive.  I urge people to watch Mcveighs alround game, the way he pulls defenders away for attacks to happen.

It would be stupid to let a payer of his ability to go.  For the so called lean years of Mcveigh, he was being played out of position and cannot be judged badly as he committed himself excellently.  Look at the impact he made when playd in his natural position, up front with Ashton.  It is Nigel Worthington who is to blame for the inconsistency, having never let him play where he does best.  I remember a certain Swedish STRIKER being made a scapegoat last season, in Jonnson (Not a right winger).

Sign mcveigh up and another 10 players with the heart and spirit he has shown of late.  Also another 10 with his brains and skill.