Sign in to follow this  
canarycop

Signings

Will we make any more? Sinani and Sitti out on loan.  MaCullum too. Leitner, Trysull and Drmic surplus. I just have a feeling there is more to come. Despite McLean signing new contract it is more than possible Rangers could come in and the new contract drives up the price. Ince linked as well as Pritchard. Think we will lose Aaron's to One of the London clubs and Godfrey to Man Utd. Still think there is entry of movement to be done in the next 15 days or so.

Thoughts ?

Might be a couple more going out, but I suspect they'll go the youth route if more are for coming in.

It may depend who goes/how much for, but we have been saying for a while how we got our new guys in first.  We have expected all close-season that we’d lose some of our better players and would also expect some loans. 

If we lose a big gun then it gives us a gap to fill and money to spend. 

Aarons will go, it's obvious. And with bryam out, they will have to bring in some experienced cover. 

In hindsight how they were allowed to sneak through this horrendous transfer window deadline needs looking at. I thought the idea was to make it in future so that it corresponded with the start of the season and whilst I know we are in unprecedented times, that we have ended up with it being a month after the start of the season starts and then the premier clubs are given another two weeks to pick over the carcasses of the EFL clubs is, I think, a disgrace.

Its been sold on the basis of helping the EFL clubs but it’s deeply disruptive. 

• Like 6

There will be a lot of manoeuvring in those last two weeks that's for sure, and just for our prized assets.

It's a shame regarding Byram's injury, as we could have sat here with a smug smile knowing we have a superb replacement for either side of the pitch in one player. 

The problem with Byram is that although a decent player, it seems throughout his career he has never bern far from his next injury.  You can’t rely 100% on any player, of course - they are all wishing a nasty tackle of having a long time out - but with Byram you’d never think ‘reliable’.

It sounds like Buendia is off shortly. Rumors circulating for a return of Alex Pritchard for about £6m. I cant see the truth in this personally, plus he hasn't been great for Huddersfield.

Edited by jaberry2

13 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

It sounds like Buendia is off shortly. Rumors circulating for a return of Alex Pritchard for about £6m. I cant see the truth in this personally, plus he hasn't been great for Huddersfield.

That was rumoured on here a number of days ago and cannot see that happening. 

I think if Aarons and Buendia go then yes.

If Max is to go then we will be down a player in his position and so a replacement will be required. With Emi, its not so much that we would be short a player, but more I think short of a statement. That being, that we are serious about going straight back up and are not prepared to sell our best player to simply sit on the money and go with what we have got. If he is to go for 25-30 million I think it would take, Id expect us to spend 8-10 million on a 'next step up' youngster who's ready to pick up the mantle.

Same as @birchfest - if Aarons and Buendia leave, then we need high quality replacements. Emi is the big one for me; iconic and virtually impossible to replace.

Having said that, Stuart Webber figured Emi could be better than James Maddison - perhaps he has another ace up his sleeve?

I think Norwich know that Emi is unreplaceable with a like for like signing. This is why Placheta and Dowell were brought in, both different types of players who can hopefully help the team be stronger, despite losing the best player in Buendia.

Placheta offers real pace and width on the wing, while Dowell has shown excellent long shooting and finishing both at Wigan and Forest. 

Even if Emi goes, I'm not sure we will see another attacking player come in - with Hernandez, Placheta, Dowell, Cantwell, Stiepermann, Vrancic and now Idah being deployed on the wing - Norwich are already very well stocked in this area. 

If Aarons gets his move we will definitely see another fullback come in. Potentially just a loan to cover until when the club fell Mumba is ready to step up or Bryam manages to show he can stay fit for a sustained period of time.

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Id rather have wes back than this donkey Pritchard 

8 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Id rather have wes back than this donkey Pritchard 

I think there are slim chances of him ever playing in a Norwich shirt again. Think we can do better now, if Buendia leaves.

The bit with this that puzzles me is that yet again we've not really spent any money. 

What has gone out has been covered with getting the Lewis money in. 

Edited by Rich T The Biscuit

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

The bit with this that puzzles me is that yet again we've not really spent any money. 

For rather obvious reasons, relegated Premier League clubs reduce their playing budget (wages and transfers), not increase it.

And with the 'Coronavirus shortfall' this year, reducing said budget is even more important. In the grand scheme of things, I think we've done well to be on what appears to be a solid financial footing with only one major sale.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

For rather obvious reasons, relegated Premier League clubs reduce their playing budget (wages and transfers), not increase it.

And with the 'Coronavirus shortfall' this year, reducing said budget is even more important. In the grand scheme of things, I think we've done well to be on what appears to be a solid financial footing with only one major sale.

I agree, we've done well but surprised a little that we haven't spent a bit more. 

At the moment we seem to have spent less than what's come in on the one sale (which is great business model) but I'm not sure I'm that inspired with what we have brought in. 

Keeping Buendia will be key but if we don't then we need some kind of flair because we have lacked that in the last 2 games. 

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

I think there are slim chances of him ever playing in a Norwich shirt again. Think we can do better now, if Buendia leaves.

Definitely. He wants to play in the prem understandably but the way he forced his move away from us.... bet he wish he signed for Brighton now 😂

If the injury to Dowell is serious we will get someone else in. I think the plan was always to sell Buendia but no one is bidding at the level we want, hence the interview last week. The Lewis fee has more than covered all of our summer capital outlay, but the ongoing wageroll is still huge and will eat up the parachute money, especially with no gate receipts.

This financial year still has the rest of this window and the January window in it. If we get £25m for Emi that will cover the wageroll and leave a bit to spend. If we sell any of Aarons, Godfrey or Cantwell as well we have a tax issue.

The reason the transfer window was left open was to give EFL clubs a greater chance of selling their players to survive - I can see us raiding League One or Two for some young talent before it ends. Even if we loan them back like we did with Maddison and have now done with McCallum, the likelihood is that their value will grow.

With the number of fixtures coming up 6 in Oct with 2 internationals.  Sending so many out on loan could be risky.  Definitely need a capable keeper and decent replacements for any outgoings. And 8 fixtures in Dec any injuries will curtail a promotion push. 

Aarons and Buendia would be extremely difficult to replace at short notice (I know they will have been looking) and selling them would be a massive dent in our aim to get back up. Buendia stats showed that he is class and in this league unplayable. 

Plus I was under the impression that our model and plans means we do not have to sell our best players even due to covid? The extra window for premiership clubs means they can upset / turn players heads making huge differences to clubs and the integrity of the competition.

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

*cough* Covid *cough*

27 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Just beacause he does dances on Tiktok and enjoys getting odd haircuts? Bit harsh 😉

But basically yes for many posters.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

*cough* Covid *cough*

You need to get a test, that sounds bad. 

I get that Covid has impacted us financially and I'm not suggesting that we should spend if we don't need to and the transfers done to date have been solid, guess my point is that there must be money available should we need it irrespective of Covid.